WIFI causing slowdown on Sylvania Express?

Mar 23, 2011
I have the express version of the Mini Tablet and whenever I turn on the WIFI connection, the tablet becomes very slow and unresponsive. It's to the point where just trying to type anything on the keyboard is problematic at best.

Anyone else with this tablet: Is this normal? Is there anything that can be done to improve the performance so this is less of an issue.

I haven't done anything to it (rooting, etc) yet, mostly because I'm a little wary of tampering with the device, but this problem is my only major complaint about what is, otherwise a very nice little Android Tablet for the price. If anyone has any suggestions, I would be more than grateful.

I'm aware that there is a 'better' version of this device and if this is a problem inherent with the lower-end version, then I'd be interested to know how well the better version operates.

cainm13

Mar 2, 2011
Best thing to speed up your Tablet is get AdFree. The ads always slow down your apps. I was playing Angry Bird, it was fast at first, but once the ads started loading up, game started hiccuping. Installed AdFree and it's all gone.

AdFree requires rooting.

Universal AndRoot, one click rooting, very easy. You can also Unroot it if you decide to return the tablet.

Last edited:
Mar 23, 2011
Thanks!

I did discover an app via the Amazon app store called "Memory Booster Lite" that appears to be an active memory manager and app killer. It seems to have helped. Also, it's free!

Last edited:

Marbieskarb

Feb 2, 2011
I have the express version of the Mini Tablet and whenever I turn on the WIFI connection, the tablet becomes very slow and unresponsive. It's to the point where just trying to type anything on the keyboard is problematic at best.

Anyone else with this tablet: Is this normal? Is there anything that can be done to improve the performance so this is less of an issue.

I haven't done anything to it (rooting, etc) yet, mostly because I'm a little wary of tampering with the device, but this problem is my only major complaint about what is, otherwise a very nice little Android Tablet for the price. If anyone has any suggestions, I would be more than grateful.

I'm aware that there is a 'better' version of this device and if this is a problem inherent with the lower-end version, then I'd be interested to know how well the better version operates.

I had the same issue and I have found it to be the time/clock synchronization via the internet. If you turn that off in settings, you should be good.

Sent from my A7-040 using Tapatalk

Mar 23, 2011
Wow, thanks! That pretty much cleared up the problem.

Must be a poorly written time sync, if it has to drain the tablet that much just to keep the time current... XD

ImagineThat

Dec 2, 2010
The two pre-loaded widgets are both horrible. It was discovered previously that the weather widget constantly checks for updates, even when you delete it form the home screen, so it can cuase battery drain and wifi/resource slow down as well. What you do is at your own risk, but several members have seen better performance by removing the apk's for weather, telephony, and bluetooth. The later two are services that run even though the tablet doesn't have telephone or bluetooth capabilities. Personally I get better bettery life, quicker start times, and beter performance after removign those in addition to using a different launcher.

st0ne

Mar 1, 2011
is there a walk through here to remove those APKs? And to replace the launcher?

cliffordtrue

Nov 27, 2010

First, to replace the the launcher, install LauncherPro and Home Switcher from Market (Or now use Amazon AppStore when available) then run Home Switcher to change LauncherPro for the default.

Next, what you do is perform the 'adb connect xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx:1111' (with x's being you IP address) and then type in the following commands...

adb remount === ENTER
adb shell rm -r /system/app/Skyfire.apk
adb shell rm -r /system/app/AlarmClock.apk
adb shell rm -r /system/app/sam3.apk
adb shell rm -r /system/app/Phone.apk
adb shell rm -r /system/app/TelephonyProvider.apk
adb shell rm -r /system/app/Bluetooth.apk
adb shell rm -r /system/app/GoogleSearch.apk
adb shell rm -r /system/app/Term.apk
REM adb shell rm -r /system/app/FileManager.apk
adb shell rm -r /system/app/CalendarWidget.apk
adb shell rm -r /system/app/WeatherForecast.apk
adb shell reboot

You can copy the above in to notepad and save as a .bat or .cmd file in to the 'platform-tools' and run the file from the command prompt. I named my remapps.bat and just type in remapps in the dos prompt to run it.

Put REM in front of any of the above you want to keep like I did for the FileManager.

To replace the the launcher, install LauncherPro and Home Switcher from Market (Or now use Amazon AppStore when available) then run Home Switcher to change LauncherPro for the default.

Marbieskarb

Feb 2, 2011

You could also just root with universal androot and then use a root uninstaller. But be careful when removing stock apps and services because if something removed causes an infinite boot loop your in trouble because I don't think there is any recovery with the tablet express model as of yet.

Mar 23, 2011
First, to replace the the launcher, install LauncherPro and Home Switcher from Market (Or now use Amazon AppStore when available) then run Home Switcher to change LauncherPro for the default.

Next, what you do is perform the 'adb connect xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx:1111' (with x's being you IP address) and then type in the following commands...

adb remount === ENTER
adb shell rm -r /system/app/Skyfire.apk
adb shell rm -r /system/app/AlarmClock.apk
adb shell rm -r /system/app/sam3.apk
adb shell rm -r /system/app/Phone.apk
adb shell rm -r /system/app/TelephonyProvider.apk
adb shell rm -r /system/app/Bluetooth.apk
adb shell rm -r /system/app/GoogleSearch.apk
adb shell rm -r /system/app/Term.apk
REM adb shell rm -r /system/app/FileManager.apk
adb shell rm -r /system/app/CalendarWidget.apk
adb shell rm -r /system/app/WeatherForecast.apk
adb shell reboot

You can copy the above in to notepad and save as a .bat or .cmd file in to the 'platform-tools' and run the file from the command prompt. I named my remapps.bat and just type in remapps in the dos prompt to run it.

Put REM in front of any of the above you want to keep like I did for the FileManager.

To replace the the launcher, install LauncherPro and Home Switcher from Market (Or now use Amazon AppStore when available) then run Home Switcher to change LauncherPro for the default.

Well, I've managed to aquire LauncherPro, but I can't seem to get my hands on Home Switcher. Amazon AppStore doesn't seem to have it, and I don't have any means of getting it via the Android Market... I'm a little surprised, though, since it's apparently free... I would have expected there to be many alternative downloads. Or maybe I'm just not looking in the right place.

cliffordtrue

Nov 27, 2010
Well, I've managed to aquire LauncherPro, but I can't seem to get my hands on Home Switcher. Amazon AppStore doesn't seem to have it, and I don't have any means of getting it via the Android Market... I'm a little surprised, though, since it's apparently free... I would have expected there to be many alternative downloads. Or maybe I'm just not looking in the right place.

You can download it direct from them. See link...

LauncherPro «

Hope this helps.

Marbieskarb

Feb 2, 2011

You shouldn't need home switcher because when you hit the home button after installing a new launcher you can just set lp to be the default. And if you want to clear the default, just go to manage applications and then to lp and clear it.