wifi cycling connection then turned off

chomlee

Aug 28, 2011
ok, i have had my acer A500 for several months now and for the most part the only issue that i have been having is the wifi dropping signal. just yesterday it started dropping then reconecting every couple of minutes, then this morning the wifi was set to off and greyed out so i couldnt turn it back on. i rebooted the device and it seemed to help for now. does anyone know of this issue?

frnkws

Jul 30, 2011
from what i've read the internet dropout is addressed in the 3.2.1 update that has started.

Icebike

Apr 28, 2011
There are many threads on this issue. Most of the time you can do a paperclip reset and it will get back on line, but a reboot sometimes helps.

It could have been caused by anything, such as a static ip assignment in another device knocking you off the air, to a router needing a reboot. There is no way to tell after the fact.

Install AlogCat from the market. Then if this happens again you will have something to wade through looking for reasons if you have basic linux familiarity.

chomlee

Aug 28, 2011
It could have been caused by anything, such as a static ip assignment in another device knocking you off the air, to a router needing a reboot.

Thank you for your help. You might be right because i have 2 devices on my network set to a permanent ip address. My home file server that I am running apache on it has a static ip address and i hadnt had it on for a while, but i had turned it on yesterday and left it running. i would be willing to bet there was an ip conflict once i turned it on since the tablet is always on.... sort of.

at least now if it happens again i know the first place to look.

Douvie

Jun 10, 2011
Thank you for your help. You might be right because i have 2 devices on my network set to a permanent ip address. My home file server that I am running apache on it has a static ip address and i hadnt had it on for a while, but i had turned it on yesterday and left it running. i would be willing to bet there was an ip conflict once i turned it on since the tablet is always on.... sort of.

at least now if it happens again i know the first place to look.

Why static IP? This is probably the cause of your problems. DHCP should work fine.

frnkws

Jul 30, 2011
Why static IP? This is probably the cause of your problems. DHCP should work fine.
I have the wifi dropout.
If I go into my internet connection and change to statix ip I do not get dropout, but I do get dropout with the DHCP setting.
I'm hoping the 3.2.1 update really does fix this issue as has been reported.

chomlee

Aug 28, 2011

i have to have static ip. i run an apache server so i can pull up all my multimedia files on all my roku boxes and other devices. if the ip changes, the address for the files change.

Icebike

Apr 28, 2011
i have to have static ip. i run an apache server so i can pull up all my multimedia files on all my roku boxes and other devices. if the ip changes, the address for the files change.

Oh, come on!

You figured out how to run apache and setting an ip reservation in your dhcp server befuddles you?
Hand in your hacker hat chromlee! :p

There is never a legitimate reason to use a static ip on your own network.

chomlee

Aug 28, 2011
i didnt figure it out. I googled it and followed the directions and suddenly... it worked. could you explain how to use dynamic ip when my devices specifically look for 192.168.10.102/videos?

hacker??? ha! I take that as a compliment!

Icebike

Apr 28, 2011
This tutroial is for NetGear, but you can find similar settings in other routers.

[video=dailymotion;xdwf6t]http://www.dailymotion.com/video/xdwf6t_how-to-reserve-ip-addresses-on-your_tech[/video]

Dlink:
DLink Router Static IP Setup

Google the words:
dhcp reservation

Douvie

Jun 10, 2011
reserve the IP address by getting the MAC address of the device and locking that into your modem/router. Simple as that.