WIFI instability with Kyros 8125 running Gingerbread

Feckweed405

Oct 7, 2011
I just got a "new" Kyros 8125 (see the setup loop thread) and though this one works OK so far when I get onto my wireless router (Apple airport express with WEP password) it signs on and works fine for 5-10 minutes then just stops working. I try turning off and back on the WFI and it gives says "error" in the WIFI checkbox and will never sign back on. If I restart it MOST (not all) of the time it resets and then goes trough the same stuff. Does anyone have any ideas on this? Thanks!

lfom

Developer
Sep 12, 2011
I've seen other people with Gingerbread on Kyros with similar issues... Try changing your rooter settings: first try with no password then Personal WPA/WPA2 with the recommended minimum password (i think it's 8 digits).

iper76

Nov 27, 2011
i think i found a possible solution for this issue...

i installed the "KeepWiFi" app from AppsLib around noon today and i haven't lost connection since :)

i hope this info is helpful ...

TKETZ196

Dec 17, 2011
Hi. I am new to the forums. I have the same issue, my router/ISP is through AT&T U-Verse. i initially got to get internet service for 5-10 min or so. just long enough to get a few apps. Is there a process that is running that is stonewalling the internet connection? I was able to check inside my UVerse router and there is nothing wrong. Also, all my internet devices (laptops, smartphones) all can connect and works fine. I think it could be a faulty WiFi driver? @iper76 I installed and tried the app you suggested. it doesn't do anything to solve the issue on my end, but thanks for your suggestion though. I am thinking of returning it to Amazon, seeing as the WiFi doesnt want to work properly. Does anyone have any suggestions before deciding on returning it? I also wanted to mention that when the WiFi stops to work, even getting into the settings on the tablet is weird. At Times, the device freezes for a minute or two, then gets into the settings. if i turn off the wifi and turn it back on it says "error" even tho i was connectged to the router before. i am confused lol.

Last edited:

lfom

Developer
Sep 12, 2011
Some routers like D-Links are known to have problems with mobile devices. You can try:
- update your router's firmware, if there is one;
- change security as suggested before. If it doesn't work, try disabling it completely (no password) for testing purposes;
- test with another router (model/brand) to make sure it's not a problem with the router you have.

TKETZ196

Dec 17, 2011
AT&T Uverse automatically updates whenever AT&T pushes through an update. I might just return the product. it does not explain though that whenever dive into the WiFi settings on the tablet, the whole things slows down and freezes until it decides it wants to bring up the wireless settings.

crazythunder

Dec 5, 2011
AT&T Uverse automatically updates whenever AT&T pushes through an update. I might just return the product. it does not explain though that whenever dive into the WiFi settings on the tablet, the whole things slows down and freezes until it decides it wants to bring up the wireless settings.
maybe try a factory reset on the kyros? and reset the router afterwards.

TKETZ196

Dec 17, 2011
@CrazyThunder: I could try that. the only thing is that i havent really done anything with the tablet considering it got delivered about 2 days ago. i will try your suggestion. if it doesnt work then i will have to return it saying it was defective. i did email Coby support team but i fear they will only tell me what i already tried to do. thanks for the suggestion.

TKETZ196

Dec 17, 2011
So, i tried a factory reset, and i reset my router. Still the same thing happened, the internet works for about 10 min until it decided to but out. Also the wireless settings keep freezing whenever i try to go into the settings. once i am in there (after waiting a minute or two), i turned off the wireless and then when i turn it it back on, it says "error" there is absolutely no reason why it should be doing that other than having a defective wireless module and/or bad drivers. needless to say i am shipping it back as being a defective tablet. never had this much trouble with a wireless device before. i always like coby products and surprised that this tablet is really a bad one. Hopefully i am sent a new one and that one will work.

lfom

Developer
Sep 12, 2011
If even a factory reset with the stock firmware you were getting errors while using the WiFi settings, then most probably it's defective indeed. Hope the new one you get is fine. I had a similar experience with my first 1024. Got it replaced and the one haven't had an issue so far.

wilfredtr

Dec 19, 2011
I have been having the exact same problem. I have it at home from my Fios Router, at work on their wifi also. Amazing I don't have it when I use my Android Phones thether! There appears to be no firmware upgrade for this tablet either. It would be nice if the "ERROR" message was a little more verbose. It's almost at if it "fills up". I don't get it. Kryos 8125

JayW

Dec 23, 2011
I've got the same problem with my Kyros 8125 (gingerbread). The KeepWIFI fix worked pretty well for me. I still lose the WIFI connection once in a while, but the problem is about 90% better.

update: the Keepwifi fix might be more of a placebo. Hardly solves the problem.

The wifi problem is not random, some websites become toxic and will regularly jam the wifi (magazine sites like Salon and Atlantic seem to be bad about this).

the other fix suggested for this problem - put the tablet into airplane mode, then force the wifi back on with a wifi toggle app - does not work, at least well.

keep looking for a fix!

Last edited:

Slowflyer

Jan 11, 2012
I am having the same problem with the 8125. I have done all of the above. The Airplane mode with the wifi wiget worked for me I never droped off the internet for about 3 1/2 hrs. Now with that being said I finally got to speak to a tech at Coby about the issue and they have no fix at this time for the problem. Soooo... We keep looking for a fix I guess