WIFI Issue - WIFI stuck at obtaining IP address for my work network

shoaibhb

Sep 25, 2011
Hi,

this will be my first post on this forum, i am having this trouble, my WIFI connects to all WEB networks at home and around but when it comes to connecting to WORK network (802.1X LEAP) it goes through until all authentication is done and IP Address is to be obtained from DHCP, it stucks at this point.

I have tried reserving IP at DHCP server but does not get the IP

and also I have tried manual IP address but it is of no use, as it says connected but does not pings the gateway.

any ideas/help appreciated.

pbrauer

Administrator
Staff member
Sep 24, 2010
can you connect other personal items to your company wifi without prior authorization? I would call your HelpDesk and make sure they don't need a MAC address to allow it, some places are adding this additional level of security.

Also, what tablet/OS version are you running. Some of them do not fully support EAP protocols.

shoaibhb

Sep 25, 2011
can you connect other personal items to your company wifi without prior authorization? I would call your HelpDesk and make sure they don't need a MAC address to allow it, some places are adding this additional level of security.

Also, what tablet/OS version are you running. Some of them do not fully support EAP protocols.

No there is no MAC binding required though i have also tested it while MAC binding through DHCP but it did not work

I am running Android 2.2.2 and as i am very new to android (few week old) i have no idea about EAP support in android... However even if there is any risky thing that may achieve this, i am willing to take the risk

and i talked to the Help desk about this, there is nothing special. also my blackberry connects just fine to the same network over LEAP

Last edited:

SEMIJim

Aug 20, 2011
If it's getting to the point it's requesting an IP address, it's not an EAP problem--or anything else at the WiFi negotiation/security level. The tablet is properly negotiating with the AP and gaining an association.

There's something a little strange, here. The OP claims that his tablet cannot get an IP address from the DHCP pool, cannot get an IP address if a static mapping is added, and does not communicate on the network if the tablet is manually assigned an IP address locally.

Were it me: At this point I'd be examining log files and/or snooping the network.

Jim

shoaibhb

Sep 25, 2011
when i watch the state of WiFi of tablet, it goes to DORMANT state before cancelling the process of obtaining IP address. which suggests it to be a response issue from DHCP, though through the same AP i can connect my notebook and blackberry and my pal here can easily connect his IPhone also.

which log files i can collect and how to get better understanding of this issue. if it was a network/DHCP issue other devices would not even connect.

and i agree that going that going to IP Obtaining process means rest is all done. I have also confirmed from RADIUS admin and my authentication was processed but DHCP admin has no logs for a request even

this is very strange for me.... is it only my issue or all androids have this issue?

SEMIJim

Aug 20, 2011
which log files i can collect and how to get better understanding of this issue.
DHCP server logs. RADIUS logs.

I have also confirmed from RADIUS admin and my authentication was processed but DHCP admin has no logs for a request even
Lemme guess: Windows network, perchance?

this is very strange for me.... is it only my issue or all androids have this issue?
I had my Vizio VTAB1008 connecting to the network at work right off. WPA-RADIUS and DHCP. No problem.

any ways i can pull useful logs of this process?
On the tablet end: Try aLogcat.

Good Luck,
Jim