WiFi issue

spud

Jan 20, 2011
I have wifi set to turn off when screen turned off but it isn't happening - wifi is staying connected. I would like to turn it off to save battery . anyone have any suggestions why it isn't disconnecting?

Icebike

Apr 28, 2011
It won't turn off if it is in use, or if the tablet has to wake up and check mail or something. If you leave your browser open to a page that refreshes, it will keep your wifi on.

But you are barking up the wrong tree anyway.

You should set your wifi disconnect to NEVER.

It takes more power to wake up the tablet, re-establish a wifi connection, and check mail, refresh a web page (or what ever) than it takes to just leave wifi on, which allows mail checks to use IMAP instead of POP.

Note:
For your Gmail account you should ALWAYS and EVERYWHERE use Imap, just go to gmail on your computer and disable pop and enable imap. For other email accounts you may not have imap. In which case sucks, but you can have your Gmail account pop those emails for you).

There is no point in chasing after the tiny amount of battery savings you might (but probably won't) get by sleeping wifi. Use your battery. That's what its for. Its a WIFI tablet for pete sake! How far will you be from a power outlet with a WIFI tablet? Plug it in when its not in use, and leave WIFI on.

WIFI drops to an extremely low power state when the tablet is sleeping. Even pinging it from another computer takes forever, because the wifi is running at such a low power state it takes it forever to answer the ping. But if email or google talk messages arrive it instantly answers, so you are never off line.

I never shut off wifi or bluetooth.

spud

Jan 20, 2011
Thanks for the information, didn't realize what I was trying to do would have negative impact on power consumption.