wifi not woeking

nimsu

May 5, 2012
Been using the tablet with the flash instructions patriots wrote with great luck. Had an issue with being able to delete items from the extcard with the file explorer......now my wifi does not work. I can see other networks and connect to them but the wifi graphic says grey with a little x at the bottom... tried it on 3 networks.... any suggestions?

RedDeer

May 3, 2012
It seems to be a problem with your router.

My best guess is it's a problem with your router's security settings.
The Wifi Signal says: - Hey we got a good signal Here.
The X says: Yeah but I can not jump through all the security setting hurdles. (change router security) If you are at work you R sol.

I found this info in Google a search.

IT Executive says:
I had 2 Kindle Fires go through the exact same problem in my sister's house. Neither Kindle Fire experienced a single problem
in other homes/wifi networks. It's really strange but I'm sure will be fixed by Amazon.

1. Force your Kindle Fire to "Forget" your Wifi network in the Settings/Wifi section.
2. Turn "Networking Off" in the Settings section on your Kindle Fire.
3. Unplug your router, wait a minute then plug your router back in.
4. On your Kindle Fire, turn Networking back on again.
5. Add your Wifi network (if private) or your Kindle Fire will automatically discover your open network.
These steps have worked consistently over the past several weeks each time I experienced a problem with either of the 2 Kindle Fires.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
IT Executive,
Does your sister you own a dual band (2.4 GHz and 5 GHz) 802.11n wireless router, by any chance? If so, it may help to set it to use 2.4 GHz only.
What is the maximum # of devices that can connect to your sister's router simultaneously? Might that be the problem?

Discussion Found HERE: Amazon.com: Customer Discussions: x next to wifi connection

More Info In Google Search: wifi x - Google Search

Another Google Search: gray wifi with X - Google Search

Last edited:

nimsu

May 5, 2012
Unfortunately, I don't think that solution is applicable. I was working at a hotel. It was working.. did a reboot and now it doesn't. Tried it another location (different network). No luck. Now at work and having the same issue

nimsu

May 5, 2012
so i can't even connect to tethering to my cell phone. i connect but no data is transfered and the wifi signal is greyed out

nimsu

May 5, 2012
With the device off, held down the vol- and the back button while I pressed power. got to the android with the red triangle. press the back button and you get a menu.. choose wipe data/factory reset.. did exactly that but kept google play which i was a little bit surprised at since I had loaded that separately from the rom I d/l'd

RedDeer

May 3, 2012
Been using the tablet with the flash instructions patriots wrote with great luck. Had an issue with being able to delete items from the extcard with the file explorer......now my wifi does not work. I can see other networks and connect to them but the wifi graphic says grey with a little x at the bottom... tried it on 3 networks.... any suggestions?

With the device off, held down the vol- and the back button while I pressed power. got to the android with the red triangle. press the back button and you get a menu.. choose wipe data/factory reset.. did exactly that but kept google play which i was a little bit surprised at since I had loaded that separately from the rom I d/l'd

OK. So you had a problem with the Wifi Grayed out and an X next to the W-fi icon on your tablet.

You did a Factory Reset (not a reformat) using the tablet's Recovery Utility. That fixed the problem. Now, your wi-fi works again.

So it seems that the problem may be the result of an APP or something you downloaded to your tablet.
If you can remember the last App or other thing your downloaded before the problem appeared, you may pinpoint the problem.

Last edited: