Wifi off while sleeping...

RaVenJ

Jan 24, 2011
I read earlier that someone set their NC up to turn the wifi off while the screen was off. Anyone got a link for that trick?

rico2001

Dec 8, 2010
I believe it turns the wifi off automatically. Which happens to be what most people don't like about the NC's ability. My understanding is the NC "out of the box" will turn the wifi off when the screen is off and when the NC is awaken the wifi turns itself back on (unless you have wifi turned off). This, while a great power saving feature, leads to your NC when waking up "loosing it's way" and dropping the wifi connection it was connected to before it went to sleep. Most people, like myself, want the wifi to on all the time, even when asleep. Therefore we use apps such as "wake timer", to keep the cpu on while the screen is off. This will keep the wifi alive, even though the screen is off the NC is basically asleep.

Last edited:

J515OP

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jan 6, 2011
Yes, I shold have mentioned to ask rico too since he had the alternative posted above also in the thread and is generally a guru with such solutions :)

I also have the same understanding as rico re the auto off wifi feature of the nook which can cause random rebooting. If you would like to keep the auto on/off feature with out the rebooting it seems that having a secondary control of the on/off may solve the issue. I wonder if it is a hiccup in the original nook code that is overridden by a secondary manager?

darmeen

Jan 8, 2011
All I know for sure is before I specifically told the NC to turn wifi off during sleep, it would randomly reboot on me...but as soon as I started using Setting Profiles to force wifi off when in sleep and back on with screen on, I have not had a single random reboot. Before I bought Setting Profiles (or had even heard of it) I found that using a wifi toggle to turn off wifi when I set it down would have the same effect, and if I forgot to turn it off, random reboot.

I don't know if its an app calling for wifi in sleep mode or what, or maybe its some sort of sync situation with an app, whatever the problem is that creates the random reboot, it gets fixed by simply turning off the wifi before it goes to sleep (or using an app like setting profiles to force it)

RaVenJ

Jan 24, 2011
Does it improve the battery life? That's my goal. I've seen a couple random reboots, but they don't bother me. Saves me the trouble of rebooting it myself.

RaVenJ

Jan 24, 2011
Am I rooted? Am I rooted?!? Of course I'm rooted! I've already got those profiles set, but I'm still looking for ways to improve my battery life.

darmeen

Jan 8, 2011
Well, you could always uninstall some of your favorite apps so you don't use it so much...that should give you more battery life :p

Other than the SetCPU settings, stopping auto sync's, turning off wifi when not being used, lowering screen brightness...You may have hit the impasse that is the pinnacle of your battery extendability...

krazyfukr

Dec 6, 2011
Menu - Settings - Wireless & Networks - Wi-Fi Settings - Menu - Advanced - Wi-Fi Sleep Policy

Change to preferred setting.