Wifi-only Xoom Available Ahead of Schedule, Already has a Root Method to Boot

xaueious

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 9, 2010
Ow5Xb.jpg

This weekend, people have been receiving their wifi Motorola Xoom early, either from their pre-order delivery or being sold early at Staples and Costco right now. A working root method for the wifi-only xoom has been posted on XDA developers. This is based on kernel work on the Verizon Xoom. Some of the kernels posted are actually not compatible with the wifi-only Xoom yet, such as the kernels that allow overclocking, and result in soft bricks. There is also no way to revert this yet. But much progress has been made relatively quickly. Surely the iPad 2's paper launch has helped motivate many to try to Xoom instead.

Sources
DroidLife and Reddit

Big_Jim

Mar 16, 2011
What are people planning to do after Root? Install 3.1? And the Wifi version isnt locked in any way that I know of. In fact I dunno if the Verizon version is locked down either. Havent heard any complaints.

When they first got the Moto Droid they didnt lock the bootloader or put any stupid Verizon crap on it, thats one of the reasons I got the thing. To this day its still the most open Droid launched by a cellular carrier.

xaueious

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 9, 2010
Well, if you look at the XDA thread, the other files are cifs and vpn support kernel modules... IPtables I think was added in that custom kernel as well. Then you have root specific applications. Overclock stuff coming.