wifi performance

pedro_

Jan 8, 2011
Hi,

I have been playing around with trying to get my S7 to connect to a HTC hero via wifi

getting the 2.1 hero rooted ( universal androot )and installing the wifi tether for root was easy. I tested that works by connecting my windoze desk top machine, I had problems with WEP, but with security turned off it just worked.

Next I tried to connect from the S7. It cannot see the hero wifi at all.

is there an available tweak to improve wifi performance ?

BTW getting the S7 rooted - universal androot works a dream

Last edited:

SikYou

Dec 25, 2010
The s7 will not do adhoc wifi connections so it will not see the hero. There may be a possibility of connecting the s7 to your hero via bluetooth but i have not really looked in to how to do this yet.

**update: I just tried to bluetooth dun tether my s7 to my eris and it did not work.

Sent from my Ideos S7

daz

Dec 13, 2010
the s7 does to adhoc networks, its how im connected right now. you just have to change the wpa_supplicant file....check the tips and tricks thread, there is a step by step walkthrough.

Sent from my sdk using Android Tablet Forum App

pedro_

Jan 8, 2011
thanks Daz, I am pretty sure it must be possible, it's just a case of finding the info :)

kevmueller

Dec 7, 2010
I can confirm it does work, I use wireless tether with my DriodX all of the time. In the sticky on the main page called tips and tricks there is a link about 5 pages in to the wpa_supplicant file that you have get and replace. The good news is that this file does not change on firmware updates as I have tried a couple of the other options out there and not had to redo this process.

pedro_

Jan 8, 2011
ok Kev, so I looked at the wpa_suplicant stuff which sent me off to the xda forum, and I downloaded the zip of some files and shell scripts to switch those files.

I am assuming that I need to replace the wpa_supplicant.conf file on my S7 - the wifi settings in the "wifi tether for root" ap should config the phone to use wpa.

I installed wifi analyser which allows me to see that I do in fact have a nice fat wifi signal, correctly identified by the name I set in the phone config. I installed wifi manager ( by kostya vasilyev ) and using that mamnager I can at least see the phone wifi service - it shows up as WEP IBSS which is odd as it should be WPA. trying to start that service I get a "adhoc networks not supported" message.

editing the wpa_supplicant.conf file it has the following

----------------------
ctrl_interface=DIR=/data/misc/wifi/wpa_supplicant GROUP=wifi
ap_scan=2

network={
ssid="Android_tether"
psk="0123456789012"
key_mgmt=NONE
mode=1
}
--------------------

there is no /data/misc/wifi directory on my S7, so I am puzzled.

can you please recall exactly what you did, for example did you have to make changes to any other config files

goodoane

Nov 25, 2010
@pedro
This is the file that you should replace.

Free File Hosting & Video Downloads, Free File Sharing, Online Friends Network - Ziddu

remove the extension txt so you can have wpa_suplicant as android program file(bin file)

copy wpa_supplicant file to /system/bin (make a bakup of the original file)

remember that you need to have root and to set the right permission for the replaced file (I recomand to use root explorer for this opperation)

Last edited:

pedro_

Jan 8, 2011
Heh

Thanks for your help, that was the answer. I actually get better speed via the phone tether than over ADSL

Poor old phone gets very hot

Tomorrow I will write up a concise how to

Sent from my s7 using Android Tablet Forum App