WiFi problems

RaVenJ

Jan 24, 2011
Hey folks, my NC is having a serious problem. For some reason, I cannot get it to log on to the WiFi at work. As of last Friday, everything was fine. Over the weekend, I went to Phiremod v6 though, so that might be where my problem is.

I have an Android phone sitting right beside the NC, and it logs on without a problem. Using the same settings (802.1x EAP), the NC just tries to connect and eventually disables the wifi connection. If I run the hotspot on the phone, the NC connects just fine.

Any thoughts? I'm probably going back to CM7 38 tonight to see if that fixes it..

J515OP

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jan 6, 2011
RaVenJ, I had a smiliar issue when creating a bootable CM7. Might be the same issue caused by going to v6 for you. Try this:

Menu>Settings>Applications>Running services (or Manage applications if it's not in your menu then>All)>Google Services>Stop

Then connect to Wifi. Once connected reboot.

JP

RaVenJ

Jan 24, 2011
Stopped the service, but it still hangs at "connecting"..

J515OP

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jan 6, 2011
Stopped the service, but it still hangs at "connecting"..

Try tuning off the wifi for a few seconds with the service stopped then turning wifi back on. For whatever reason I had a conflict with google services and wifi but that may not be your issue. It was similar though were it wouldn't connect and eventually gives up. Killing google services did allow it to connect right away.

RaVenJ

Jan 24, 2011
I couldn't get it working before I left work, so I just smoked it and went to CM7 Stable.. We'll see if that fixes the issue tomorrow morning.

RaVenJ

Jan 24, 2011
CM7 Stable gives me the same result.. I tried stopping Google services again, no luck.. Any other suggestions?

bluewhite79

Mar 21, 2011
CM7 Stable gives me the same result.. I tried stopping Google services again, no luck.. Any other suggestions?

I think i read over at XDA that this is a known issue. It is beyond my comprehension because I know very little about wireless, but from what I gather it has to do with the security settings (maybe).

I THINK a lot of people were switching their wireless routers to WEP to fix the issue. Of course i could be totally wrong. Just giving you ideas.

RaVenJ

Jan 24, 2011
Up until Friday, the connection worked perfectly. Nothing has been changed on the router or the network, and the router has been rebooted. Modifying our network security isn't an option available to me. I might try going back to Phiremod 5.3, which is what I was running before CM7 Stable dropped, and what was working on Friday.

virii01

Mar 21, 2011
Up until Friday, the connection worked perfectly. Nothing has been changed on the router or the network, and the router has been rebooted. Modifying our network security isn't an option available to me. I might try going back to Phiremod 5.3, which is what I was running before CM7 Stable dropped, and what was working on Friday.

Similar thing happened to mine. I'm running Phiremod 5.1. No wifi problems whatsoever, then yesterday morning I can locate any networks. It says connecting but never finds anything. This was the case in multiple locations with wifi, including my home network. I've turned wifi off/back on, full powered off for a while, etc but not luck.

What's interesting is that after I reboot, wifi is turned off by default. I don't believe this used to be the case.

AnimaTechnica

Nov 4, 2010
there was a problem with the airplane mode - i.e. if you even went to airplane mode, it remais turned on even if you think you turned it off via settings - which prevents wifi from staying connected

You can fix it with the SQLite Editor, found in the Market. Basically you edit the value in the "Airplane_Mode_On" line in the Settings.db database from 1 to 0. if it is set at 0, just change it to 1 and then back to 0 again

RaVenJ

Jan 24, 2011
Mine sees the networks fine (well, hidden SSID, but still) but just hangs at connecting. My phone, 6" to the right, hits it just fine. It HAS to be something to do with the ROM..

RaVenJ

Jan 24, 2011
there was a problem with the airplane mode - i.e. if you even went to airplane mode, it remais turned on even if you think you turned it off via settings - which prevents wifi from staying connected

You can fix it with the SQLite Editor, found in the Market. Basically you edit the value in the "Airplane_Mode_On" line in the Settings.db database from 1 to 0. if it is set at 0, just change it to 1 and then back to 0 again

It's not that, because it logs on just fine at home and hits my phone's hotspot here at work.. If that were the case, I'd have no WiFi anywhere..

virii01

Mar 21, 2011

Hmm...I'd like to try that, not sure how I'll get the app if I can't connect to the Internet however.

RaVenJ

Jan 24, 2011
But did try the SQLite thing... No help. Refunded already =)