Wifi takes a long time

dave_w_h

Jan 8, 2012
I have had my A500 for 3 weeks now and leave in sleep mode most of the time. I have noticed that the wifi will not work sometimes and I need to go into settings and turn it off and then back on to get it to find my wireless router. Any suggestions on what I could do to fix this as it is frustrating.

Sent from my A500 using Android Tablet Forum

lfom

Developer
Sep 12, 2011
Are you using the latest firmware version (3.2.1)? I've never had this issue with mine...

dave_w_h

Jan 8, 2012
Yes I am on Android OS 3.2.1. Not sure about firmware version, but I think you meant OS

ahclem

Jul 25, 2011
I have had my A500 for 3 weeks now and leave in sleep mode most of the time. I have noticed that the wifi will not work sometimes and I need to go into settings and turn it off and then back on to get it to find my wireless router.

It may depend on the router. My A500 would get the "looping wifi bug" once I tried to connect at work, until the newest OS update. Now the Acer seems to "correct itself" instead of looping, But it still takes as long as 2 minutes to connect, even in a great signal area where I work. This doesn't happen at any other hotspot I use. Yes, messing with the wifi settings can speed the connection sometimes.

How old is your router?

lfom

Developer
Sep 12, 2011
Android OS or firmware version, same thing. ;)

Then you may need to delete the connection and recreate it (tap on it then "forget"). If you still have problems, it may want to test with a different router or WiFi network (at a cafe, school, etc) to make sure the problem is actually your tablet.

Icebike

Apr 28, 2011
Try setting your wifi sleep mode to never. (disconnect policy).
Also, try leaving your bluetooth on whether you use it or not.
Third, make sure your router issues ip addresses (DHCP) that do NOT have infinite expiration time. 3 hours is a good setting.

dave_w_h

Jan 8, 2012
I went to my wifi setup and cancelled my wifi connection "forget ". Then went through the setup again and the signal is considerably better. Thank you for that suggestion.

Dave

Douvie

Jun 10, 2011
I went to my wifi setup and cancelled my wifi connection "forget ". Then went through the setup again and the signal is considerably better. Thank you for that suggestion.

Dave

Because the A500 remembers the last IP, if you have several wireless devices, it may clash with another device over the one IP. Sometimes, if you make it forget tha last IP when it searches for another available IP you can force A500 to request an address further away from the crowded cluster of IPs that the router normally dishes out.

This is basically what Icebike's advice suggests. I experienced IP clashes on a regular basis (not with the A500) on equipment I install and it can give some incredulous results and inconsistancies. Some people reckon two devices cannot connect using the same IP - well I have seen it happen - and it does or rather they can! Even on DHCP.

familyman4god

Dec 13, 2011
I have the same issue and have done the fixit by forgetting the wireless name and finding it again. It is more frustrating than anything. It does not seem like something we should have to worry about. And it does not do it with all the access points I use.