Wifi turning off

drozas

May 1, 2011
My wifi keeps disconnecting constantly. It'll reconnect, but drop off again a minute later. Anyone have the same issue?

Sent from my A500

K9CHP

Aug 3, 2011
Got the same problem. What are the recommended settings? Thanks.

Sent from my A500 using Android Tablet Forum

Icebike

Apr 28, 2011
Just like the first guy, the recommendations are that you give us more details so we can help you.

hira

Jul 26, 2011
Same thing here.

N
WPA2-PSK [AES]
2.4GHz
Channel 11

Icebike

Apr 28, 2011
Try G for a day and see if that helps. You have to lock the router down to 54meg via its control panel.

Moving stuff from machine to machine will be slightly slower but Internet access will be the same speed.

If it works more reliably that would suggest your router is a dual band model and the second band is one that the acer can't handle. It only handles 2.4mhz.

drozas

May 1, 2011
It is a dual band. I'll try it out and see if it helps. Thank you.

Sent from my A500

drozas

May 1, 2011
Didn't work. It still disconnects. I just connected to my old g router and still get the same thing. It was after that firmware update. Guess I'll spend my day off with Acer support. I'll reply when I hear something from Acer.

Sent from my A500

Icebike

Apr 28, 2011
Exactly what version of the OS are you running?

Did you also apply the small 172 K patch found at Download

Can you describe the symptom in more detail?
Are you ever able to get on the network at all, or does it never actually connect?

If you can get on for a minute, and actually see some traffic (surf a little), then it drops, the above patch is not needed, and
you almost certainly have a router problem of some kind.

If you can turn off dual band in your router for a test that would help.

fortytwo

Apr 28, 2011
Mine is doing the same thing. Just started today. Thought it might have been the new Roo case I got yesterday, but removing the case did not solve the problem. Yes, my case has magnets - and they are useful for holding my stylus when I'm not using it!

I'm have an N secured router. I was at a distance of about 30 feet from the router. Haven't had this problem prior to today. Haven't installed any updated, though my bar at the bottom says updates are available. Don't know of anything that changed to cause today's problems, but I had at least a half dozen disconnects today.

I also noticed that the signal strength has been lower today than in previous days. My laptop is connected to the same router and I haven't noticed any disconnects - mostly use the tablet now so possibly missed something.

Kiwikiwi

Aug 13, 2011
Hi there,
same problem happening since I bought the tablet.
I have 2 wireless routers, one n, one g and it happens with both of them. As soon as the signal is weak, the connection drops every 30 seconds or so. I have laptops and android phones connecting OK from same location.

@Icebike, the patch you are pointing out seems to be the fix for this problem.

I'm in New Zealand, and currently using v Acer_A500_4.010.40_COM_GEN1.
I did NOT install the patch you mention and upgrade to latest version without knowing about the patch.

In the install notes, it says:
- Affected OS versions:
Acer_A500_4.010.12_COM_GEN1
Acer_A500_4.010.24_COM_GEN1

- After installing the update, you are advised update your tablet’s operating system to:
Acer_A500_4.010.40_COM_GEN1

Does anyone know if I can/should install the patch on the top of my current version? (Acer_A500_4.010.40_COM_GEN1)

peejayw

May 6, 2011
Same problem since the 3.1 update so am not a happy chappie. It was fine before. I dont think installing that update would be good if you have the latest 4.010.40 perhaps 3.2 will fix it else I will return mine, the mic is hopeless so thats reason enough.

K9CHP

Aug 3, 2011
You can download the patch from www.acer.com Actually, you need to put it on a micro sd card, so you can do that on a computer. Hopefully you still have acres to one.