wifi will not connect after update

May 31, 2012
On 3/19 (according to Vizio) my tablet took the upgrade to HC. Since then, the wifi will not connect AT ALL. I have attempted 6 different wireless router/access points as well as many settings including a factory reset without luck. I have even sent the tablet to Vizio and they cannot make it connect either. They claim that I only had a 90 day warranty because it was originally a re-certified product and since I didn't call in within 1 month of the upgrade, there is nothing that they can do. Does anyone know of another way to connect to possibly take the newer code to see if this repairs anything? Vizio engineering said they had no method to get it on there, which I find surprising. I basically have a paper weight at this point. Anyone have ideas?

J515OP

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jan 6, 2011
Unfortunately this sounds like a hardware issue. It may have been a failure coincidental to the update. If it really is as a result of the update then you should be able to get it working again, though how to do that is a good question.

May 31, 2012
Unfortunately this sounds like a hardware issue. It may have been a failure coincidental to the update. If it really is as a result of the update then you should be able to get it working again, though how to do that is a good question.

Id love to hear ANY ideas. The engineering team at Vizio (tablet was there for a week) said they had no way to even push the newest code to the tablet without wifi. This sounds weird to me. I was offered a recert from them for $120. I have declined.

J515OP

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jan 6, 2011
So just to be clear you are on the VIA 2.0 update not the newer 2.1 correct?
What do you see when you go into wifi settings? Can you see networks available?
You have tried various networks without success but was there a specific error message in each case? Did it just continually try and connect without success?

The more details you can give about what is going on the better your chance that somebody might recognize a fix to the issue.

May 31, 2012
So just to be clear you are on the VIA 2.0 update not the newer 2.1 correct?
What do you see when you go into wifi settings? Can you see networks available?
You have tried various networks without success but was there a specific error message in each case? Did it just continually try and connect without success?

The more details you can give about what is going on the better your chance that somebody might recognize a fix to the issue.

I have just today received the tablet back from vizio. A manager there asked me to send it directly to them and allow his engineers to see if they could do anything - they could not. I am running the 2.0 update. Under wireless I scan and see wireless APs that are available. I can choose to connect to any of them and the message comes back stating "You have entered the wrong password. Please try again". This happens on MANY different APs and with and without authentication. I have tried broadcasting SSID, non-broadcast. I have tried WEP, WPA, etc all with no luck. The same message with no luck. I notice that vizio even has settings still in my tablet for 4 different APs that they tried while it was there.

vampirefo.

Developer
Nov 8, 2011
I don't know anything about this tablet, anyway can you put a custom recovery on it? If so do so and get a backup from someone else wipe your tablet install their backup.

J515OP

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jan 6, 2011
Now that we have more information we can search ("You have entered the wrong password. Please try again.") and see this has come up with other users...

http://www.androidtablets.net/forum...i-fi-connection-problems-after-honeycomb.html

Have you tried the solutions in that thread? Try wifi analyzer, make sure you have corresponding DNS, etc.? Try forgetting all your APs and starting from scratch. Make sure your router, gateway, MAC address and Firewall settings are all correct. You can also try broadcasting only wireless G without N and see if that helps.

There are many many solutions to wifi issues and if it isn't hardware you just have to be persistent at searching and trying the various solutions.

May 31, 2012
I have been able to tether the tablet to a phone using bluetooth and I immediately took at update to the 2.1 - this made no difference. I must not be seeing what wifi analyzer can do for me other than show me that I have a wonderful wireless signal. I have factory reset this tablet many times and have attempted "forgetting" all networks. I have tried many different wireless sources too - its not a setting on the router.

J515OP

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jan 6, 2011
Some people have reported changing to a less crowded channel has helped connect to wifi. Again, it is just shooting in the dark since there seem to be so many different reasons wifi may have issues. I'm sure you have been over the router settings but keep checking sometimes it can be a little thing that jumps out at you after the 100th time you check.

If you are sure it isn't the settings, channel, firewall, router, etc. and factory resets and updates haven't worked it just leads me back to a hardware issue. There aren't any known Android issues where wifi won't connect at all, though the error message you gave has been reported before but also overcome.

rkonb

Mar 9, 2013
I was able to get my Daughter's tablet connected after experiencing this issue. We just bought the tablet today and she is on HC. I used the WPS code from my Vizio router (which I bought for 30 bucks some months ago @Microcenter). It disconnected, cycled, then connected and seems to be working great now.

Good luck folks!