Wifi will not stay on

jfbb43

Jun 25, 2011
I just wanted to give the community a quick update on my problem with the WiFi. I returned the SYTABEX7 I was having connection issues with. The new one I got is working great. The three finger reset worked out of the box. I updated to 2.2 with no problems. After the update I was no longer able to do a three finger reset, it just doesn't pick up on it. I saw Cheesemp's comment on using a USB keyboard. I was not able to get it to get into the reset using the keyboard, but I did find out that the F1 key works as the menu button. I also can verify that the keyboard does work on boot. I had to use it to do a normal reset, due to the touch screen not responding on boot.

meggiedude

Jun 28, 2011
I just wanted to give the community a quick update on my problem with the WiFi. I returned the SYTABEX7 I was having connection issues with. The new one I got is working great. The three finger reset worked out of the box. I updated to 2.2 with no problems. After the update I was no longer able to do a three finger reset, it just doesn't pick up on it. I saw Cheesemp's comment on using a USB keyboard. I was not able to get it to get into the reset using the keyboard, but I did find out that the F1 key works as the menu button. I also can verify that the keyboard does work on boot. I had to use it to do a normal reset, due to the touch screen not responding on boot.
I've been using a wireless USB keyboard and mouse combi, and works great when you need to do all that OS frigging. I seem to remember the esc button works as either Power/back or Home - I forget which.

meggiedude

Jun 28, 2011
The "updated" driver didn't do anything for my wifi drop issue.
Yes, I've come to that conclusion too. I don't get much more than an hour with wifi on - which is quite frankly laughable. During that hour the web frequently drops out.

Will be interested to know what cfrockit (and others) make of the screengrabs of file sizes/perm I sent prev.

cfrockit

Dec 26, 2010
@ cfrockit @ cheesemp - PMs sent
Observation of my 11.2.18 tablet running the stock versions of these files all weekend showed none of the issues you have described. The tablet moved swiftly from Scanning, to Connecting, to Obtaining IP from a WEP enabled Wireless N router.

$Scanning.JPG

$Obtaining.JPG

$Connected.JPG

The issues you have described seem deeper than just these three files, therefore I doubt further investigation will result in a solution. It must have to do with the combination of u-boot-nand.bin, ramdisk.img, Kernel, and system.img that Disgo has utilized to update the tablets to 2.2.

Other infoTMIC powered tablet users that have manually updated using a combination of files are reporting similar complaints about WiFi stability. As WiFi wasn't one of the strongest features to begin with it's easy to find complaints on this and other forums with no real solution.

Now comes the a decision, for the value are the frustrations worth it? Given your need for a stable WiFi connection for a specific application, this device does not seem to have the features/functionality required.

Last edited:

epeereboom

Dec 19, 2010
This wifi issue is driving me crazy. It's always a crap shoot as to whether I will be able to connect to the internet and for how long.

Doing some research this morning, I came across a possible cause. Searching for connection problems with Ralink RT2870 based USB Wireless N adapters, I found that it could possibly be that there are 2 driver modules loaded, rt2870sta and rt2800usb(possibly competing with each other). I have no idea if this could actually be the cause, but I thought I would throw it out there and see what other people thought.

Last edited:

tfurrows

Jun 15, 2011
Can you drop to a shell and run `lsmod`? On my SYTAB10MT it returns:

# lsmod
rt2070sta 500289 1 - Live 0xbf08f000
galcore 63973 0 - Live 0xbf000000

Indicating only one wireless driver loaded (unless one was compiled into the kernel, which seems unlikely- you could rmmod the loaded one and see if wifi still works to check if kernel support was there).

cfrockit

Dec 26, 2010
Can you drop to a shell and run `lsmod`? On my SYTAB10MT it returns:
Results from hwver=11.2.1.8
Code:
$su
#lsmod
rt2070sta 500285 1 - Live 0xbf019000
#
#cat /proc/cmdline
console=ttySAC3,115200 androidboot.mode=normal bmagic=0x00000000 hwver=[B]11.2.1.8[/B]

PS. Here's more infoTMIC powered tablet users complaining about WIFI signal lost. If you search that forum for "wifi" you'll see a common thread to the issues posted here pointing to faulty firmware. There's even a post about RT3070 Chipset wifi dongle on sale at Meritiline but who knows if an external WiFi adapter would work on the current firmware if the stock one doesn't for some.

Last edited:

meggiedude

Jun 28, 2011
This what I get on my Disgo 6000:

lsmod - Results from hwver=11.2.0.6

Code:
$lsmod
rt2070sta 500289 1 - Live 0xbf019000
$
$cat /proc/cmdline
console=ttySAC3,115200 androidboot.mode=normal bmagic=0xeef07901 hwver=11.2.0.6

I am using the upgraded wireless firmware btw

cheesemp

Jun 25, 2011
This what I get on my Disgo 6000:

lsmod - Results from hwver=11.2.0.6

Code:
$lsmod
rt2070sta 500289 1 - Live 0xbf019000
$
$cat /proc/cmdline
console=ttySAC3,115200 androidboot.mode=normal bmagic=0xeef07901 hwver=11.2.0.6

I am using the upgraded wireless firmware btw

My disgo (with unmodified 2.2 drivers) is the same except the rt2070sta final number is 0xbf012000. All other output is identical.

meggiedude

Jun 28, 2011
I'm back with the stock OOTB driver and TxPower setting (100%), as my 'new' wireless N router arrived (in bad mood as on ebay the item was listed as 'new- but taken out of box' is extremely second hand :-( ).
So will try with this set-up and report back on what's changed to the above figures. They should however be the same as cheesemp's now though.

Finally got response from my_Disgo (a.k.a [FONT=verdana,arial,helvetica,sans-serif]Clever-Stuff Ltd Helpdesk). I found an email addy for the tech services team so emailed them direct.[/FONT] I again asked for the date on the delayd Disgo 6000 upgrade, plus info on what it fixes (wifi hopefully)[FONT=verdana,arial,helvetica,sans-serif]
They have opened a ticket for me
[/FONT] - so hope to get a response soon.

MD

meggiedude

Jun 28, 2011
WRT my ticket with my_Disgo/clever-suff regarding this issue and the open question on whats coming in the (long awaited) upgrade, and when.
The assigned admin updated the ticket this morning, then closed the ticket, then updated the ticket again. The accompanying emails gave me a link to a web site that doesn't exist.
So I don't know where I am now. :confused:

meggiedude

Jun 28, 2011
Several more update emails from My_Disgo support, but only one with content, Aside from the last line the rest of it is very much cut/paste:

Many thanks for your mail.

• In the event that w[FONT=verdana,arial,helvetica,sans-serif]ifi is seemingly dropping out - please set your wifi router to b/g compatibility mode.[/FONT]
  • [FONT=verdana,arial,helvetica,sans-serif]A biproduct of the device operating is heat, this has to be dissipated to the outstide of the device and into the air.[/FONT]
  • [FONT=verdana,arial,helvetica,sans-serif]Battery life for the product in testing here exceeds 3 hours[/FONT]
  • [FONT=verdana,arial,helvetica,sans-serif]In the event that the device hangs checking for updates, the latest firmware available is already applied to the device.[/FONT]
The device on sale at scan does not have the wrong firmware applied.

Thanks, Clever-Stuff Ltd Helpdesk

No real solution here and no info about the 'some-time-never' upgrade :mad: