Will the Vizio 8" do what I need it to do?

GringoDog

Oct 28, 2011
I was in Costco yesterday and spotted the price drop on the Vizio 8" tablet down to $189.99. That price is awfully appealing, but I'm new to tablets. I wrote a post on the "What should I buy" thread, and hope you guys can tell me if the Vizio is a good fit for what I need. (or suggest something else?)

I have been using a itouch 2nd generation for years for browsing the internet, email and forums when I travel or when I'm lying around in bed or on the couch and too lazy to get up and get my laptop. The screen size and keyboard have finally become too much of a pain, and I'd like to replace it. I originally intended to buy a netbook, but now I see that those are antiques compared to the tablets.

1) what you will be using the tablet for. list any features you need, such as g-sensor, gps, bluetooth, Adobe Flash, or any specific apps.
I don't even know what some of this stuff is!
I only want wi-fi - don't need to connect it to a data plan.
Flash would be nice.
Main uses: Extensive email, forum participation, internet browsing, and I'd like to be able to do some content creation on the websites that I own (maybe some short postings, or a reply to a comment, maybe be able to write or edit short articles that I keep in dropbox).
One of my biggest priorities is a keyboard that is usable with more than one finger. I'm used to touch typing, but know that tablets are not good for that. However, the app called "Thumbs" looks like it would make content creation much easier and faster with a tablet keyboard.

I will use it occasionally for reading (online and ebooks), and some financial stuff.
An added BONUS would be if I could hook this up to my HDTV for streaming movies.
I do not plan on storing music or many photos on this tablet.

Battery length, weight and cameras are not big issues, as I use this mostly at home.
2) how much you are willing to spend - Ideally, less than $300, but would go up to $500 for something nearly perfect that wouldn't be antiquated for 3-4 years
3) if you have an idea, what the size of the tablet should be - No preference - portability is not a major factor.
4) how much you know about Android, or just whether or not you are computer literate I'm not familiar with android stuff at all, so bear with my ignorance, please. But reasonably computer savvy and adaptable.
5) Please list your location somewhere. (You should really include it in your profile, by the way) - Currently, Arizona in Winter, Mexico in Summer.

Thanks!

marvin02

Aug 25, 2011
I was in Costco yesterday and spotted the price drop on the Vizio 8" tablet down to $189.99. That price is awfully appealing, but I'm new to tablets. I wrote a post on the "What should I buy" thread, and hope you guys can tell me if the Vizio is a good fit for what I need. (or suggest something else?)

Thanks!

I only want wi-fi - don't need to connect it to a data plan.

The Vtab is WiFi only.

Flash would be nice.

The VTAB supports Flash

Main uses: Extensive email

The VTAB will handle your e-mail unless you are using MS Exchange or Outlook, Android still does not play well with those without third party solutions. IMAP and POP email works fine. Remember that with no data plan you can only send, receive, sync when connected to a WiFi network.

forum participation, internet browsing

I do this on our VTAB viewing the full site and it works fine for me.

and I'd like to be able to do some content creation on the websites that I own (maybe some short postings, or a reply to a comment, maybe be able to write or edit short articles that I keep in dropbox).

If you are using something like WordPress this should be no problem.

One of my biggest priorities is a keyboard that is usable with more than one finger. I'm used to touch typing, but know that tablets are not good for that. However, the app called "Thumbs" looks like it would make content creation much easier and faster with a tablet keyboard.

I like thumb keyboard which is a reasonably priced app from the Market.

I will use it occasionally for reading (online and ebooks)

We read Kindle, Nook and non-drm ebooks on our VTAB. My wife and I both like it. If you are used to an e-ink e-reader then the VTAB will be better in low light (no reading light needed) and the e-ink screens are better in bright light.

, and some financial stuff.

I can't help you there. I do know that I can use my banks app to check accounts, etc. The camera on the VTAB is not good enough to use to deposit checks IMO.

An added BONUS would be if I could hook this up to my HDTV for streaming movies.

Streaming with an HDMI cable works great, This is something that the VTAB is very good at. You will need a cable like this one or an adapter. Those links posted as an example I have not used those specific products.

I do not plan on storing music or many photos on this tablet.

I have used the VTAB to go to sleep to music by creating a bedtime playlist and playing it over the VTABs speakers which are very good.

2) how much you are willing to spend - Ideally, less than $300, but would go up to $500 for something nearly perfect that wouldn't be antiquated for 3-4 years

Almost anything you buy will be "old" ion less then a year.

Since Costco has a generous return period you may want to try it.

timothyh

Aug 23, 2011
Some people are comparing this tab to much more expensive tabs, which is ridicules. The tab performs well, but you must remember that it is only a single core. Support is very good with the tab. Financial "stuff" I have noidea. The only negative I had with the tab was the fact that one could not move apps to the sd card. Some android apps allow you to move them, but Vizio stops this feature. Support really has no idea about this feature. Moving apps frees up additional memory---which will eventually be exhausted if you can't move them. I wished to use the tab for gps navigation--which the tab did well. Downloading additional maps became impossible since I could not use the sd card. Go to other android forums to check this out. If you don't plan on using all the memory then the tab should be fine. I returned mine because of this reason. For $200 is a really good deal for such a quality tab. I like reading on an 8 inch screen better than my nook color 7 inch. I agree with the other person concerning the tab.

rprr

Oct 7, 2011
It will pretty much do everything on your list. I am quite happy with it. The main reasons I have used it for.
1. Skype -- Both audio and video work fine.
2. Netflix -- Works great. I use an HDMI cable (bought on amazon Amazon.com: HDMI to Micro HDMI Cable, High Speed with Ethernet, 6 ft , For HTC EVO 4G: Electronics ) to view on my HD TV and am satisfied.
3. Youtube (and other flash) works well. Also view You tube HD to TV.
4. eBooks -- Both free and also DRM ebooks from the library work well with the program Aldiko which I downloaded from the market
5. Web browsing -- I use Dolphin browser and am happy with it.
6. Wifi -- It seems to function quite well and also remains connected to my networks better than my iPad.
7. External micro SD card -- I got a 32 GB Sandisk card (Amazon: Amazon.com: SanDisk 32GB microSDHC Memory Card (Bulk Package): Electronics ) and use it to store music, videos, and ebooks. It's unfortunate that we cannot move programs to the card.
8. GPS -- Download the SYGIC GPS program (free 7-day trial; after than maps cost $$).
9. Sync -- Both wired and wifi sync with my Mac. Wifi Sync requires download from the Android market. I use DavDrive Lite which is free.

Overall, it is a great value esp. under $200.

Cyclertoo

Sep 25, 2011
Buy the vtab it works for all the things you want.

As a side note I purchased an Ipad2 because I wanted to give my husband an easy tablet and ipad people will tell you that it's Easier than the android. Not! I returned it and am going to get him a vtab. I find it simple to use and the apps available are much better. IMHO

Sent using Android Tablet Forum

sa2

Oct 7, 2011
As far as financial Apps go here is what I use:
Bloomberg works fine, and loads your portfolio easily.
Yahoo works fine also, but does not load in landscape (tablet sideways) except forced graphs . But does work. Loads portfolios too from when you set them up online from pc, and but does not show how much you own, amount of stock, profit and loss.

Kudos to everyone who talked about the hdmi cables, saw them at local retailer for 3 foot 28 bucks, and too high for me. Thanks for the info will order online soon.

Sent from my VTAB1008 using Android Tablet Forum

Lucas3

Oct 20, 2011
Watching YouTube vids in HD is impossible for me on this thing, always buffering every 30 seconds of video. You think its my tab or could it be router too slow? Any input is appreciated.

WVUTampaAlum

Oct 6, 2011
Whenever you need ANY kind of cable the only place to go is monoprice. Few months back i got 15ft hdmi and 2 - 25ft cat 6 cables for $21 shipped. I have many cables from them. Great price and very good quality cable.

Sent from my MID7022 using Android Tablet Forum

Copp

Nov 2, 2010
I just took mine back, but the Vizio VTAB (and COSTCO) are your best bet. Get a screen protector, no matter what you buy, Costco's return policy is great. After 60 days and two price cuts, I took it back and got a full refund.

The Tech support people are nice, all American and... clueless. If it weren't for the help-the-customer book they read from, they'd have trouble spelling "tablet". We went round and round about the files on SD card's. The tablet's inability to browse files on it made it a non-starter for me. Instead of admitting the flaw (which everyone knows about just by reading this forum!) they'd get into a circular argument such as:

"I am trying to use File Expert to browse my pictures"
"Sorry, that sounds application specific. We don't support third party programs"
"No, you don't understand. I want to look a a list of files on my 16GB SDcard and I want to know how you go about that"
"ES File Explorer is recommended for files, Sir."

So, I call back
"I am trying to browse my pictures on my 16 GB External SD card"
"Sorry, that sounds application specific. We don't support third party programs" [Almost word for word. Different guy, different hour, but same playbook they read from]
"No, you don't understand. I want to look a a list of files on my 16GB SD card and I want to know how you go about that"
"ES File Explorer is recommended for files, Sir."
"I have that up and running on my Vtab now. Now, how do I access the SD card? I just want to see the folders on it".
"Just one second, I have to go consult someone."
2 minutes later, "Sir, can I have someone call you back? We need an upper level tech to call you about such complicated issues."
THAT was what killed the deal for me. [Not that I really cared, but I never did get that call back!]. Plus, I saved over $100 by taking it back. Could have turned around and bought another, but they were SOLD OUT! Wow, is Costco going to have a problem down the road as people who need it for something aside from your needs discovers its problems.

Lack of root was another deal killer I was willing to wait awhile, but until this tablet gets into the hands of a true hacker, that was a pipe dream. I have an almost two year old DroidX that my Verizon guy calls "illegal" because there is simply no Verizon on it anymore. There are far, far more superior third party UIs out there than Vizio's.

But, for your needs, anything else would be a waste. This sucker is tailor made for you. You ARE its target market. As long as a plug is always handy and you just use it for internet & multimedia applications, it is great. GPS is nice too. Camera really, really sucks, but most tablet .3 megapixel cameras do. You can buy three of these now for the cost of my wife's Ipad2--and it has over 3/4 the functionality, believe me.

Great screen, very responsive and I like the fact that the screen menu follows the orientation of tablet. GREAT sound. I use FlexT9 voice input (Basically a Dragon company) 80% of the time--its SWYPE and handwritten capabilities are nice to. But, why type?

Oct 10, 2011
"No, you don't understand. I want to look a a list of files on my 16GB SDcard and I want to know how you go about that"

OK, you've already returned it but for anyone else, go to Android Market and download the free Astro file manager app. Run it and go to the External folder which will take you to the contents of your SD card. I can see every file I've loaded onto that card no matter how deeply I nested the folders.

marvin02

Aug 25, 2011
I have no problems browsing the external (user installed) SD Card using any of the file managers from the market. My favorite is ES File Explorer, but File Expert, Astro and every other explorer I have tried has no issues. I can open documents on the external card with Documents To Go, Adobe PDF reader, and Text Editor.

This internal space is mounted in the traditional Android mount point of:

/sdcard

The user installed SD Card is mounted at:

/sdcard/external

You simply have to open the external folder and everything on the user installed SD Card is there.

marvin02

Aug 25, 2011
. . .

Lack of root was another deal killer I was willing to wait awhile, but until this tablet gets into the hands of a true hacker, that was a pipe dream. I have an almost two year old DroidX that my Verizon guy calls "illegal" because there is simply no Verizon on it anymore. There are far, far more superior third party UIs out there than Vizio's.

. . .

You can change the home app easily. The only thing that root is really needed for, IMO , is to be able to change the mount points of the internal storage and the user installed SD Card. The VTAB works very well out of the box with little bloat.

gjhuff

Oct 30, 2011
Isn't rooting necessary in order to allow the VTAB to detect ad noc networks? This is a feature I'd like to see.

FanNo301

Oct 15, 2011
Gringo, on a dead run, grab your hat, coat, and wallet, and go buy this thing!!! $190 is a steal. It's obvious Vizio is coming out with a new tablet. Get a memory card, brillient design, to have removable memory card feature.

Oct 10, 2011
It's obvious Vizio is coming out with a new tablet.

I'm not so sure Vizio has another one waiting in the wings just yet. The latest price drop might be a reaction to the Kindle Fire announcement at $199. I expect the Kindle to be just as crippled as the first release of their eReader which borrowed the walled prison, er, garden strategy of Apple. Of course Amazon will sell millions of them which will get it rooted quickly.