Will this "mod" work for any android tablet?

DIRTYLOUD

May 30, 2013
Hi Guys,
I don't want to be the guinea pig and ruin my tablet (Acer Iconia A100) so i thought Id ask the guru's here first before trying it. I have a tablet installed in my Genesis Coupe and it works awesome, however sometimes the battery may die (once every blue moon) and I then need to remove the bezel and hold the power button down which is a pain, so this mod would actually work out GREAT for me, considering it works. This guy on the forum made a DIY for it however he has the Nexus 7.

So in a nutshell, this "mod" allows the tablet to turn itself on once it received power from the adapter even if the tablet is off.

MY CAR:

DIY INSTRUCTION:

tapan said:

Having a tablet mod is cool but what if your tablet battery is drained out and you have to open the bezel to press the power button? This mod will automatically turn on your tablet as soon as it's plugged in to charge. There is no need to drill your bezel to create an external power button.

Default behaviour while charging (device in power off state): Charging only
New behaviour while charging (device in power off state): Power on to your home screen!

This mod requires you to unlock your bootloader (WARNING!!! - you will lose all your data when you unlock your bootloader. I am not sure if this mod will work on a locked bootloader - but try it out BEFORE unlocking your bootloader)

Steps to unlock your bootloader (steps for PC/MAC included):

1) Download R3Superboot.zip by clicking on the following link:

https://dl.dropbox.com/u/25213603/r3superboot.zip

2) Extract R3Superboot.zip to a convenient location. For this guide, I am going to extract it to my Desktop. Once extracted, RENAME the folder to R3Superboot (not necessary but makes it easier to open it up in step # 6)

3) Enable USB Debugging on your Nexus 7
- Go to Settings --> About tablet
- Tap "Build Number" 7 times
- There should now be a "Developer Options" in your main settings menu
- Go to Developer Options and check USB Debugging

4) Connect your tablet to your PC/Mac and power off your tablet

5) Press and hold Power + Vol Down button until you get to the bootloader screen (with the Android logo)

6) Now open Command Prompt (PC) OR Terminal (Mac)

PC - Command Prompt (go to your R3superboot directory). Type the following:

cd desktop (hit enter)
cd R3Superboot (hit enter)

Mac - Terminal (go to your R3superboot directory). Type the following:

cd desktop (hit enter)
cd R3Superboot (hit enter)

7) Now it's time to unlock the bootloader. Type the following and hit enter

PC: fastboot oem unlock

Mac: ./fastboot-mac oem unlock

You will be presented with the following two options:

Yes - Unlock Bootloader
No - Don't Unlock Bootloader

By default, it should automatically be selected to "YES". Simply hit the POWER button ONCE and wait for a few seconds until it says "DONE" on the top left side of the screen

8) Now it's time to tell the tablet to turn the device on when the charger is plugged in

PC: fastboot oem off-mode-charge 0

Mac: ./fastboot-mac oem off-mode-charge 0

***If you ever want to return to the original set up (tablet stays off while device is charging in a power off state), simply replace the "0" with "1"

i.e.

PC: fastboot oem off-mode-charge 0
Mac: ./fastboot-mac oem off-mode-charge 0

THAT'S IT!!! Now reboot your tablet and test it out!

Enjoy and do this mod at your own risk!