Will you get one on release day?

jinnijinn

Jan 31, 2011
$800? Seriously? Apparently they don't want to be competitive. I'm feeling pretty good about my rooted $250 Nook Color right now.

rajones19

Dec 9, 2010
Hi!

Thanks for the post...can you tell us anything about the build quality? Was the back smooth plastic or rubberized, etc..? Anything you can tell us that we don't know or haven't read about yet?

Thanks!

I thought the build quality was great. The back was smooth, not rubberized, but didn't feel slippery. It was a little smaller than I thought it might be, and I was glad. I had initially thought a 10.1" tablet might be overly large. You can read specs and look at YouTube all day, but it's sure not the same as having it in your own hot little hands. Since it is more rectangular than square (unlike the squarish iPad), it is comfortable to hold vertically in one hand, which I liked - that's the way I anticipate using it a good part of the time. I tried the keyboard in landscape mode; that will take some getting used to for me. The rep told me he is more accurate using it portrait mode and using his thumbs, but I didn't get a chance to try that.

I didn't have time to go through all of the apps, and I don't know for sure if this was the fully-loaded final version. The rep was using it as his personal device, so I did not go digging around in some areas (like Gmail), though I really wanted to see it. There are a BUNCH of things I now wish I'd looked at, but didn't think of at the time. Wish I'd peeked inside the settings, for example, but it never occurred to me. I checked out the obvious - a couple videos, Google Maps, YouTube, wandered around in the UI. It is way different from my Droid X, and getting acquainted with it is going to be a blast.

Maverick

Feb 9, 2011
I thought the build quality was great. The back was smooth, not rubberized, but didn't feel slippery. It was a little smaller than I thought it might be, and I was glad. I had initially thought a 10.1" tablet might be overly large. You can read specs and look at YouTube all day, but it's sure not the same as having it in your own hot little hands. Since it is more rectangular than square (unlike the squarish iPad), it is comfortable to hold vertically in one hand, which I liked - that's the way I anticipate using it a good part of the time. I tried the keyboard in landscape mode; that will take some getting used to for me. The rep told me he is more accurate using it portrait mode and using his thumbs, but I didn't get a chance to try that.

I didn't have time to go through all of the apps, and I don't know for sure if this was the fully-loaded final version. The rep was using it as his personal device, so I did not go digging around in some areas (like Gmail), though I really wanted to see it. There are a BUNCH of things I now wish I'd looked at, but didn't think of at the time. Wish I'd peeked inside the settings, for example, but it never occurred to me. I checked out the obvious - a couple videos, Google Maps, YouTube, wandered around in the UI. It is way different from my Droid X, and getting acquainted with it is going to be a blast.
Wow thanks man! I'm excited too....just to finally be able to sit down with this tablet and play with it and see everything it can do...I'm pumped! :)

I'm most excited about using Google Maps and Google Navigation...I think it's going to be cool as hell on that 10in screen.

Tabluvr

Nov 25, 2010
I gotta say that the XOOM is a darn good looking tablet! But I now have the luxury of being able to wait as I am the proud owner of the International/Unlocked Galaxy Tab. It came with 16gb of internal flash and I threw in a 16gb micro card, plus it does have the phone capabilities Activated on it! (I won it at a Careace.com contest)I am interested in the XOOM, now I can sit back and see what folks think after test-driving theirs for a while.

jvanhare

Dec 12, 2010
Nope, wife would lose her mind if I spent that kind of money on a tablet, no matter how nice. In general, they all seem like very fragile, breakable throwaway products. I expect they'll be like VCRs got to be in a couple of years. No upgrades, just go get another one. :)

TechMike

Feb 11, 2011
There's getting to be a lot to consider. Toshiba, G-slate with the 3d, the new Hp and Ipad2 all happening soon. Can't wait for all the info on everything to come out so I can make a good decision. Hopefully MWC will come out with some good info

HTC Fan

Nov 21, 2010
Galaxy 2 looks decent. I hope it is dual core 1ghz and not just 1ghz. I rather have good processing than good camera...it's a freakin tablet for petes sake

pikapp168

Jan 20, 2011
Well I wasn't going to get one on launch day, but a Best Buy Employee I know is going to buy it for me. You can't beat $577.79.

gmurphy

Jul 30, 2010
wifi only, 600 bills, two months on sale at best buy 400 cant wait im getting &*^% thinking about it.

xandor

Aug 25, 2010
I won't be either. Besides, I ordered an Adam and it will e shipping soon (I hope)

Sent from my DROID2 using Tapatalk

dbljackson

Jan 12, 2011
Not sure how the release is going but I think it is safe to say the xoom is not matching the DroidX so far on day one.

Bestbuy had them available at all the five closest stores to me.

Verizon would let me add 5 to my cart and it starting processing.

Not quite how the DroidX went on day one.

Just a observation ...