Windows 7 Lite Guide [Work-In-Progress]

gregrice

Oct 25, 2011
Hi!

After a few weeks of using the Windows 7 on the device i was not satisfied at all with the performance, so i decided to do something about it.
I was thinking about a few possibilites to improve performance, but every solutions is ended up with more power consumption.
Installing an extra DDR module is cost money and power, like the overclock of the cpu which is not possible for the time being.
Then came the idea: i should shrink down the Windows 7 - like we did with the nLite for the XP - and remove all the sh*t and useless
services and features.

I've been working on it for a few days now and it's still have a little work to do, but the results are very promising!
For example:
-it boots up faster, lot faster than my fresh install of Windows 7 Home Premium on my Macbook Pro!
-with the drivers installed it only needs around 5-600 Mb of ram, the rest is free!
-only needs around 3,5-4 Gb on the HDD!

I hope together we can make it perfect!

Ingredients:
RT Seven Lite v1.7.0.0 or beta v2.5.0.0
Windows 7 Home Premium RETAIL x86 ISO Image (no oem, no sp1!)
4Gb or larger USB Pendrive

Steps:
0. (optional) When launching the RT Seven Lite there will be a Script error and an empty Sponsors windows behind the splash image. Just click Yes on the Script error, and close the Sponsors window.
27z9s83.png

1. Open RT Seven Lite and click on Browse button, select ISO and set the path to the ISO image and the path where the RT7Lite can extract the files.
(basically it's a temporary working directory, you have to remove it after every project!)
348r75t.png

2. After a while (5 minutes) a window will appear asking about the release of the Windows 7, select the Home Premium or the approriate one.
14e9ouf.png

3. (optional) If you want your last settings or my saved settings to load then Settings button and browse for the .ini file.
nlxxnb.png

4. Continue on the Task pane and select Components, Tweak, Unattended and ISO Bootable options.
(for easier troubleshooting do not integrate anything and do not try the customize, we need Lite, not Branded and Slipstreamed :)
9b9lds.png

5. Next go to the Features Removal tab and there is the most important section of the customizing, you can remove drivers, services, features.
(for first look it can be frightening but after a 3-4 projects you will feel like home :D)
2ajdtuo.png

6. Tweaks pane is only for customizing Control panel and a few less important tweaks and functions. Not required to set anything, just if you want.
xcao8.png

7. On the Unattended pane you can make the setup fully unattended to make it easier and faster to install. Also you can put manufacturer, model information and logo in the windows, which will be available at the System in the Control Panel. (logo is max 256x256 and BMP only!)
307rb4w.png

8. If you finished with everything click on Apply button and you will get to the Summary Log. You can export your settings here to save it later, and continue the next project from the actual one! For applying the tweaks click on Commit button and be sure the "Re-Build all images" is selected. Also you can set the Priorty to "Above Normal", but "High" is not recommended!
1zf319d.png

9. Create a bootable usb Windows 7 installer.
11t4uid.png

10. Exit the RT7Lite and delete the folder where you've extracted the ISO earlier.

Please share your results so maybe we can make a perfect, fast and stable system!

GregRice

Last edited:

gregrice

Oct 25, 2011
Here is my Lastsession.inf with most of the useless features removed.
Only issue is the Libraries don't working and this would not be a problem, since it can easily removed with a small registry tweak,
but for example the Background wallpaper chooser are not showing wallpapers because it's based on the Libraries function unfortunately.

Removed components:

• - Ease Of Access
    - Drivers
    - Homegroup
    - Windows Search
    - Windows Defender
    - Windows Update (only disabled, so you can manually install updates downloaded from the Internet)
    - Windows Anytime Upgrade
    - Windows Help
    - Windows DVD Maker
    for more load my Lastsession.inf in RT7Lite and see the full list of removed features...

Available components:

• - Windows Media Player
    - Windows Media Center
    - Gadget Platform
    - Internet Connection Sharing
    - File and Printer Sharing
    - Aero
    - Games (except Internet Games and More Games option)
    for more load my Lastsession.inf in RT7Lite and see the full list of kept features...

GregRice