Windows network file sharing

gadgetrants

Staff member
Sep 22, 2010
Do you want to share both ways? Reason I ask is ES (Estrong) File Explorer is a free app with a built in client...it will scan your local network and make visible any Windows shares you have. You can then view, download, etc. to the gTab. If you want to go both ways, I seem to remember Fuganater setting up a thread for 2-way file transfer (not exactly sharing).

-Matt

majorwest

Mar 27, 2011
If you're referring to sharing content on your windows pc, you can download Playon Lite to your pc which is free and allows you to add your windows shares thru the mymedia tab in the Playon console. Then download and install the Playon app from market and, when running, it gives access to the windows shares you added in the mymedia tab. There is, however, limited support for video formats - I found it won't play MKV video files (a big bummer as I have approx 15tb of movies in mkv format), but most music files are supported.

Edit: Well, I just received a reply back from Playon stating that MKV is indeed supported (as well as the following: *.asf, *.avi, *.divx, *.dv, *.dvr-ms, *.flv, *.h264, *.m2v, *.m4v, *.mkv, *.m1v, *.mov, *.mp4, *.mpe, *.mpeg, *.m2ts, *.mpeg1, *.mpeg2, *.mpeg4, *.mpgv, *.mkv, *.mov, *.mpg, *.mpv, *.ogm, *.ogv, *.ps, *.qt, *.rm, *.rmvb, *.tp, *.ts, *.vob, *.wmv and *.xvid).

...so time to troubleshoot.

Last edited:

BoyceLM

Aug 26, 2011
How about file access by an application, without the user directly driving the navigation and data transfers?

For example, suppose you want to develop an application to run on the Android which uses WiFi to connect to a server in the building, and either get and put small files to and from that server, or to be a database client which accesses records in something like Oracle or MS-SQL on that server?

mydave

Mar 21, 2011
I use 'es file explorer' to transfer files between our gtab and our HP Media Server over wifi all the times.
As for Oracle or MS-SQL, I never tried. Perhaps CIFS module would help. Check out xda-developers - Search Results.

Dave,