Windows XP SP3 Does not Recognize Pandigital Novel

divinci

Jan 18, 2011
I tried connecting the PDN to my pc and it caused the pc to shut down. Well, before that it gave me the balloon 'Found New Hardware', but it recognized the New Hardware as Adaptec or some sort of thing, and warned me to cancel the install. I elected to install anyway. Long story short, the pc is not recognizing the PDN and shuts down and restarts when I connect the PDN to the USB port. The PDN is recognizing it is connected to a pc however. Anybody have similar problems and/or resolution ideas? Thanks!:confused:

johnston21

Mar 8, 2011
This sounds like an issue that was prevelent with an early release (not a RC) of XP SP3, re: USB drivers. If you Google XP SP3 AND USB issues, you will find details.

Suggest you remove SP3 and re-install it, then re-check.

Last edited:

divinci

Jan 18, 2011
johnston21: Thanks for the reply. I have made progress! I finally did get the pc to recognize the PDN and it is in the white screen PC MODE. I went thru a lot of microsoft updates and web searches. What I surmised was that the pc had a driver issue.

Going into Control Panel > System > Hardware > Device Manager > and scrolling down the list was 'Android Composite USB' with a big yellow question mark by the usb symbol. Attempts to update the driver just went nowhere. So, my USB controller is an Adaptec brand, I went to their web site and while the usb controller is pretty old, they still had driver downloads for my model. No updates. I went ahead and downloaded the driver and unzipped the file and now the pc recognizes the pdn. However, Windows still opens the new hardware wizard and I can only cancel the action and then get the message balloon that 'the device may not operate correctly'.

I'm not sure why Windows calls the PDN everything but 'Pandigital' when it goes thru it's recognition process, but opening My Computer, I have both a drive (F:) PD_Novel, and a drive (G:) Removable Disk. I have an SD card in the PDN so that's the golly (G:) whiz of it all.

At the Pandigital web site they have an announcement about a Major Update for PDN owners, something about a firmware update that "adds all the power and fun of a full ANDROID tablet". The UPDATE process requires one to connect the PDN to the pc, and thats where my problems began. Anyway, the way I read the information, the 'Update' would apply to my PDN, it is the 4Gb US QVC model. However, I spoke with someone at Pandigital and I was told my model already has this update. I guess my pc's failure to recognize the PDN early on kept me from installing an unnecessary update.

Now, maybe I can finally download some Android ap's to the SD disk and figure out if they will install on the device!

Apr 26, 2011
johnston21: Thanks for the reply. I have made progress! I finally did get the pc to recognize the PDN and it is in the white screen PC MODE. I went thru a lot of microsoft updates and web searches. What I surmised was that the pc had a driver issue.

Going into Control Panel > System > Hardware > Device Manager > and scrolling down the list was 'Android Composite USB' with a big yellow question mark by the usb symbol. Attempts to update the driver just went nowhere. So, my USB controller is an Adaptec brand, I went to their web site and while the usb controller is pretty old, they still had driver downloads for my model. No updates. I went ahead and downloaded the driver and unzipped the file and now the pc recognizes the pdn. However, Windows still opens the new hardware wizard and I can only cancel the action and then get the message balloon that 'the device may not operate correctly'.

I'm not sure why Windows calls the PDN everything but 'Pandigital' when it goes thru it's recognition process, but opening My Computer, I have both a drive (F:) PD_Novel, and a drive (G:) Removable Disk. I have an SD card in the PDN so that's the golly (G:) whiz of it all.

At the Pandigital web site they have an announcement about a Major Update for PDN owners, something about a firmware update that "adds all the power and fun of a full ANDROID tablet". The UPDATE process requires one to connect the PDN to the pc, and thats where my problems began. Anyway, the way I read the information, the 'Update' would apply to my PDN, it is the 4Gb US QVC model. However, I spoke with someone at Pandigital and I was told my model already has this update. I guess my pc's failure to recognize the PDN early on kept me from installing an unnecessary update.

Now, maybe I can finally download some Android ap's to the SD disk and figure out if they will install on the device!

I had a similar issue with USB with other hardware before I got the PDN. I had to download the update from the download library. Uninstall the old USB driver, reboot. Install the update and reboot. Then I had to goto the driver info and change the driver used to the newer one. Apparently one of the windows apps that used a USB device loaded the outdated drive automatically. Windows didn't 'see' the new driver as the prefered update.