Wintech Filemate vs Coby Kyros - Help!!

mykidsmom

Jun 17, 2011
I am looking to purchase my first pc tablet. I'm not very tech savvy so trying to keep it simple. My main purpose will be web surfing, watching videos/movies, reading, email, wifi, using docs2go. I would like a camera but it is not a necessity. I won't be doing heavy gaming. Based on the above, I believe I need Adobe Flash. I also wanted to try to keep the size to 7-8 inch but would go to 10 if needed.

Trying to keep purchase under $500. I was looking at the Toshiba but thinking that might be a little more than I need for my first purchase.

After a little more research I was ready to purchase the Coby Kyros 7024 since it seems to do the basics for an incredible price. I usually purchase from Amazon but I found the Kyros at Walmart a litter cheaper (free shipping). I stumbled across the Wintech Filemate 7 for about $100 more than the Kyros and seems to have a few more features.

The FileMate 7 has positive reviews on Walmart, but I can hardly find any other information about this product on the web. I even searched this forum and can't find a thing, which has me a bit concerned.

Is anyone familiar with the FileMate 7? Is it worth $100 more than the Kyros?

Any feedback is greatly appreciated.

mykidsmom

Jun 17, 2011
The more I research, the more I am thinking it best to stick with a product from a reputable vendor, which Wintech does not seem to be.

I still am curious if anyone has had any experience, good or bad, with this product. I really appreciate your expert advice!!

rokky

Oct 22, 2010
The more I research, the more I am thinking it best to stick with a product from a reputable vendor, which Wintech does not seem to be.

I still am curious if anyone has had any experience, good or bad, with this product. I really appreciate your expert advice!!

The Filemate just got my attention, too, and it is impressive "by the specs". It has several advantages over the Kyros:
  • Android Market access out of the box (it appears) - HUGE hassle saver in getting to more apps for an Android device. There may be a well-known hack by now for the Kyros since it has been out a while, but it is still a do-it-yourself crapshoot when doing hacks like these if you are not tech/Android savvy.
  • Bluetooth - combine a BT keyboard with Docs 2 Go (another advantage in itself), and you have a nice productivity tablet setup.
  • Webcam has 5x zoom (altho digital) - I not have found any such mention for the Kyros (nor its pixel count)
  • GPS
  • FM radio (I like that if it has good reception and a decent radio station management app like my Archos 5).
  • Battery is replaceable (key point for me now that my Archos is showing signs of battery "meltdown", and is not meant to be user-replaceable).
  • A shade narrower and lighter (anything smaller/lighter that gets closer to my Archos 5's specs is better for me ;) .
  • Not necessarily an advantage, but I never thought of Coby as particularly "reputable", just more "common"...
However, the Kyros has one big plus in a faster CPU at 1Ghz vs the 600 Mhz (0.6 Ghz) of the Filemate. Still, both of them having 512 MB of RAM (vs the "storage" which is equivalent to a PC's hard disk drive for storing program and data files) levels out that part of the playing field a lot - sufficient RAM to run the programs ("apps") offsets speed differences to some extent (depending on the how the programs operate - some are more memory intensive, some are more processing intensive - i.e. needing more CPU speed). Another (smaller?) plus for the Kyros is having an HDMI port out, but that only matters if you plan on using it to show a lot of videos on an external TV/monitor (after loading them onto the tablet, and after buying the extra HDMI cable).

So there is some info for your choice (for you to verify/clarify of course ;) ), however, you have a nice option with Walmart to make that easier: they are VERY cooperative about returning items that you just "don't like", and you can do the returns at local stores for internet-ordered items (again, verify before you buy). You could even order both tablets, and conduct your own side-by-side comparison, but be sure they stay in perfect condition until you decide if you want to return either (or both).

I have gone through "trials" of about a half dozen tablets in the last year, so this is the kind of process I have worked out: research as much as you can, then get hands/eyes on for yourself if the tablets get past the research phase, and be sure you have a return option if you are not prepared to live with the cost of a "mistake".

As for my perspective, my Archos 5 became a "keeper" after going through this process, mostly because it was good enough to run the apps I care about (other tablets were better in a lot of respects), but its clincher for me was that it was so conveniently sized (4.8-inch screen - almost the "5" of its name) compared to all the 7-inchers I tried (forget about 10-inch "monsters" as far as I am concerned) - they always turned out to be more hassle to carry around and set up when I wanted to use them (especially compared to my 9-inch Fujitsu P1610 convertible tablet/netbook running Linux that can do so much more than that Google-controlled Linux "subset" known as Android).

Another point is that coming from Palm and Pocket PC PDA's, I am quite comfortable with using a stylus on a resistive screen, and, in fact, that is my preference over smearing and fat-fingering the fancier capacitive screens - as the Brits say, they are too "fiddly" for me. That puts me in the minority of Android tablet users, so probably not too relevant to you, but since both these tablets are resistive, they are on an even footing "on paper", but even so, there can be a lot of difference between them in how well they do respond to stylus/finger/fingernail input.

YMMV & HTH

Last edited:

joeorc

Jul 9, 2011
Hey Im new Here an my name is Joe an i was looking into that very Tablet the user replaceable battery got my attention more than anything along with the specs.

their pretty good an the GPU is most likely the Adreno 205 which is a fantastic GPU for a low cost Tablet.

their official website is here:

Wintec Industries - Flash Memory - USB Flash Drives - Bold - Product Specifications

an they Have the Official update to Gingerbread for fall..so If all goes well This could be my choice of Tablet myself.

beasleybeef

Jul 8, 2011
Hi im after a tablet under $200 and cant make my mind up over the new coby mid7022 from toys r us or the wintec filemate from walmart????? help

joeorc

Jul 9, 2011
Also is the wintec filemate same as zte light ???

the Filemate comes preloaded with android 2.2 that can be updated to 2.3, while the ZTE lite PLUS preloaded with android 2.3.3 Gingerbread unless it's not the ZTE LITE Plus your not talking about?. I think there may be more than one model of the ZTE lite line.

I think there is the ZTE lite, ZTE lite Pro, ZTE lite Plus

the ZTE lite plus spec's for example:

ZTE Light Plus tablet comes with the Android 2.3.3 Gingerbread OS, sporting a 7-inch TFT touchscreen display with a resolution of 800 x 480 pixels, powered by 1.2GHz Qualcomm QSD8255 processor boosted with 512MB of RAM, equipped with 3.2 megapixel camera, 1GB of ROM, micro-SD card slot for memory expansion up to 32GB, HSDPA connectivity, Bluetooth, 802.11 Wi-Fi b/g/n connectivity, GPS navigation, 3.5mm headset jack, Android Market, a whole host of Google services.

ZTE Light Plus Full Specifications And Price Details - Gadgetian

By these Specs the ZTE lite plus is hitting in UK markets in sept.

beasleybeef

Jul 8, 2011
Im heading over to florida next week and still cant make up my mind ,dont want to spend more than $200 and the tablets different than uk so need advice on what best for the buck??