[WIP] Volcano - Honeycomb 3.0 for Coby Kyros x024

prog19

Dec 26, 2011
I'll flash on my 8024 later. Lfom was a great acquisiton to the team. His works are great. You guys are awesome

prog19

Dec 26, 2011
Ok, after a couple of hours here the things i've noticed.

Market FC everytime. Sometimes it doesn't even wait until i pick up an app to install. So I recurred to my friend, Black Market Alpha.

Black Market Alpha works great, far more faster than in Nefariousbread. I downloaded some apps, and the first one has to be ES TASK KILLER. The RAM runs low very very faster, and this apps saves the day. Just one click on the app widget and the HC runs much faster. But you'll have to use it much more than in 2.3

ES Files Manager works fine, but if the RAM runs low it FC

Youtube has no image, just sound.

Mathstudio (this is a awesome app for students of phisics, math, and engeneering. It used to be SpaceTime for windows, windows mobile and related. It does integrals, derivatives and limits, 2d and 3d graphics) runs flawlessly, and have some different look from the GB 2.3

All the video players runs only in software decode mode, wich is bad if you want to play 720p videos

ACV (Droid Comic Viewer) has an annoying bug. It doesn't show the zoom options. So if you double tap the screen for accident you're doomed. In 8024 the "fit width" is supreme for almost any comic book. This bug will make me return to Nefariousbread, for now.

AnTuTu benchmark gives the awful score of 2106. Unfortanately i lost the paper wher i saved the detailed score in nefariousbred, but i remember the overall was above 2950.

Dolphin Browser runs fine.

Cut the Rope runs fine, even with the awful result of 2d graph in the benchmark test

The Power Control widget of froyo and gingerbread is a great loss. It was very convenient control wifi, brightness, sync and host in just one widget.

So i Think the majority of the apps are running fine. The system runs fine if you use the task killer from time to time. The Touch is smooth and the gmail app is awesome.

I hope this feedback helps you guys in anyway. Sorry about my bad english, and Congrats for the work. You guys rlz the Kyros world. This is pretty usable and way better than the stock froyo. Even without the usb host mode.

Tomorrow i'll test hdmi and see if it works well

Last edited:

Mnemonic

Oct 18, 2011
With my Coby 1024 I saw that, so most of these applies to that device only:

1. Should put GB module to make touch work
2. US Keyboard is not set as default
3. Second boot and so on very fast
4. Hardware buttons always on and not working
5. extsd working
6. Titanium Backup ok (root ok)
7. AnTuTu Bench score: 2004 :( with GB about 3K. the 2D graphics have slug performance

Pickupman66

Oct 2, 2011
Mnuemonic. Did the softkeys work properly? I can deal with that.

Sent from my rooted, baked, Gingerbread rocking Kyros MID1024

prog19

Dec 26, 2011
AnTuTu Comparisions between Volcano HC and GB NefariusBread

Parameter_______HC____________GB
Ram___________288___________333
CPU Integer_____506___________606
CPU Float-Point__36____________157
2d graph________142___________294
3d graph________877__________1099
DataBase IO____175____________310
SD write_______4,8mbps_________4,0mbps
SD Read_______9,0mbps__________9,1mbps
Overall_________2162____________2930

Mnemonic

Oct 18, 2011
Pickman, the soft butons are ok. I update the button_ut7gm.ko e goodix_touch.ko modules, but hardware (lateral) touch buttons not working, only the Home button (middle circle).

Pickupman66

Oct 2, 2011
wow, you must have had better luck than I did. when I dropped it onto my tablet, the screen would NOT WORK. neither did the hardware buttons. I replaced all of the items in the modules folder with UT modules and swapped the kernels but Nada....

Mnemonic

Oct 18, 2011
Very odd. Just after flash the rom I put the usb cable, adb that 2 files and reboot. All fine. But man, the graphics is very slow :( I am happy with GB EVO 1.5

lfom

Developer
Sep 12, 2011
HW graphics acceleration seems to not work on resolutions below 160dpi, at least not on HC. A work around would be changing lcd density to 200 to play videos and games, but it's not ideal. I am working on newer graphics libraries that hopefully will work with 120dpi, which makes HC look much better.

MikeViller

Nov 25, 2011
Hi steev just to know, I flash the beta12 and used the mid7024 patch file everything work ok, like the soft button and screen button except the videos that doesn't seem to work is it because of a incompatible video driver with the herotab? I just love this rom, send my thanks to everyone evolved. p.s. I did post my finding on slatedroid.

skicavs

Jan 17, 2011
Did similar to MikeVilla, just copied the 'customer' folder from beta 12 from slatedroid to the beta10_7024 and then moved the extracted files from the 7024 patch into the customer folder as well. Then flashed the whole thing to my 8024. The device works brilliantly, all the gapps work great, gmail and calendar are now honeycomb editions. Plus the force close apps (mantano, kindle, google body) all work great

jenlou

Dec 23, 2011
Hi Mike, my Dad has a coby 7024 and is a fanatic of the game app Words With Friends. I have installed the Volcano Beta 6 weeks ago but the game won't allow him to use a blank tile, so re-installed Alldro2 v1.3 so he can play the game. If its no trouble, can you check if the game can be played on the beta 10 honeycomb version. Thanks.

lionelannie

Dec 24, 2011
I installed volcano honeycomb on my mpman 1027. I took volcano VolcanoBeta9_mid1024.zip beta 9 rom and i have replaced the customer file beta 9 by customer file of beta 12.and it works . crash android market solution?

Last edited:

lfom

Developer
Sep 12, 2011
I think B12 is mostly stable now and can be used in a daily basis. Apps for Honeycomb work as expected. There are small glitches, like Launcher ignoring taps when soft buttons are used in the apps drawer and the settings panel/shadow. Also, camera still doesn't work as well as hardware based video/audio (that's why newer Youtube videos don't work). For audio/video I suggest that a 3rd party player like MX Video Player is installed, it works OK with software decoding.

Is it OK to create another thread for the MID1024 build? It has some important differences, like firmware logo size (due to different LCD resolution), soft buttons mapping, etc.