[WIP] Volcano - Honeycomb 3.0 for Coby Kyros x024

steev

Developer
Sep 3, 2011
Hey steev, can I download and install the releases straight from slatedroid or you modify them to work with the kyros and then upload them here yourself?

Slatedroid ROMs need to be modified slightly to work on our tablet.

In general you only need to replace utscript and u-boot.bin with the files from our OFW and add the utmodules from the Alldro2 firmware (copy them to /system/utmodules or sometimes /system/modules, depending on the ROM).

Sometimes you also need to use the kernel files (zImage, zImage.debug) from the Alldro2 firmware.

I'll release a Volcano Beta 6 with a couple fixes today.

Last edited:

MikeViller

Nov 25, 2011
Last edited:

cornell

Jun 13, 2011
Slatedroid ROMs need to be modified slightly to work on our tablet.

In general you only need to replace utscript and u-boot.bin with the files from our OFW and add the utmodules from the Alldro2 firmware (copy them to /system/utmodules or sometimes /system/modules, depending on the ROM).

Sometimes you also need to use the kernel files (zImage, zImage.debug) from the Alldro2 firmware.

I'll release a Volcano Beta 6 with a couple fixes today.

Thanks man, I think i'll wait for your releases then.

PS: I'm making a new logo image for the ROM, when i finish it i'll share it with you if you wanna include it in your releases.

cornell

Jun 13, 2011
Hey steev! ETA for your Beta 6? I really don't wanna go to sleep without testing it, I'm dyiiiiiing for it :cool:!

skicavs

Jan 17, 2011
Hmm good find.

This is a real Honeycomb 3.0 port from the Android SDK. My guess is maybe Symbean modified a build.prop from a Gingerbread ROM and forgot to change the sdk version from 10 to 11.

Can you tell me which apps report that error so I can try to fix?

I used ADB to change the build.prop to 11 and while there are a few apps with FC (Google Body, Aldiko, etc) I was able to get a few Honeycomb apps to install and run (ReTab, HoneyReader, etc)

prog19

Dec 26, 2011
All the videoplayers that i tested runs only in soft decode mode (which is **** when playing videos of 3mbps and above). This is HC related or is because the rom isn't complet yet ?

Also, steev, do you think the tablet will be slower when the rom is complete, or will be at the same level of a 2.3 rom ?

steev

Developer
Sep 3, 2011
All the videoplayers that i tested runs only in soft decode mode (which is **** when playing videos of 3mbps and above). This is HC related or is because the rom isn't complet yet ?

Also, steev, do you think the tablet will be slower when the rom is complete, or will be at the same level of a 2.3 rom ?

Probably hardware accelerated video playback isn't working yet. We'll do our best to fix it.

Hopefully it will be on par with 2.3 or faster when it is finished. I am not 100% sure myself.

Last edited:

renancslp

Nov 29, 2011
Thanks Steev By making a ROM Next to the HC 1024. I have a 1024 I am trying to change theUTMODULES but without success so far. Where is the LFOM to help owners of 1024? = D ByGoogle Translator.

skicavs

Jan 17, 2011
Great update, thanks

1) Contacts Sync
You can get contact syncing working on this one by looking at this post, downloading the file : [SCRIPT] Honeycomb Install - Market, GMail, Talk, Contacts, Maps - xda-developers
And just using the line
adb push GoogleContactsSyncAdapter.apk /system/app
You can also install GMail that way, the other sections are not needed since those programs are already on the phone

2) Better app compatibility : Enable screen rotation, apps like Kindle won't open if screen rotation is disabled and crash with the message
"Binary XML file line #28: Error inflating class fragment", Kindle still has issues downloading but will open now

Other apps like Mantono Reader crash in any rotation with and without compatibility mode enabled giving an error like :
Caused by: java.lang.ClassCastException: com.mantano.android.library.fragment.FilterBookFragment cannot be cast to android.app.Fragment
which I guess has something to do with the SDK

Correction -> Kindle works if you use an older version (download and views work fine) http://forum.xda-developers.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=468124&d=1292759939

Last edited:

MikeViller

Nov 25, 2011
Hi Steev I just took a look at Thunderstrom-ICS in slatedroid forum look good. Is ICS having a screen layout similar to Honeycomb for tablet ??? thanks

steev

Developer
Sep 3, 2011
Great update, thanks

1) Contacts Sync
You can get contact syncing working on this one by looking at this post, downloading the file : [SCRIPT] Honeycomb Install - Market, GMail, Talk, Contacts, Maps - xda-developers
And just using the line
adb push GoogleContactsSyncAdapter.apk /system/app
You can also install GMail that way, the other sections are not needed since those programs are already on the phone

2) Better app compatibility : Enable screen rotation, apps like Kindle won't open if screen rotation is disabled and crash with the message
"Binary XML file line #28: Error inflating class fragment", Kindle still has issues downloading but will open now

Other apps like Mantono Reader crash in any rotation with and without compatibility mode enabled giving an error like :
Caused by: java.lang.ClassCastException: com.mantano.android.library.fragment.FilterBookFragment cannot be cast to android.app.Fragment
which I guess has something to do with the SDK

Good to know. Thanks