Wireless signal strength

dave52355

Dec 11, 2010
My 7024 indicates that my link speed is -1 Mbps, On my Droid 2 it is 65 Mbps. The tablet seems to run fine with the browser so I wonder if there might be a bug in the way the link speed is calculated or if there is something else I should be looking at.

Thanks

rockdawg

Apr 19, 2011
yeah, that's what mine indicates (-1 Mbps). I'm using the "Network Info" app to get that information as I could not find another way to obtain this information. I would guess it's a bug. I also cannot find an online 'speed test' that will work with this device.

Vergil44747

Apr 18, 2011
yeah same for me here, (and you can go into wireless settings, then tap the connection your currently on to find the link info) same -1mbps for me to

Recounter

May 14, 2011
Is it even really that fast? I'm using an app called Xtremelabs Speedtest (Android market) and it is reporting 110 kbit/sec. This same tool clocked my DroidX at 890 Kbit/sec for 3G and 8500 Kbit/sec for wireless LAN.

Recounter

May 14, 2011
BTW the online bandwidth meter at reviews.cnet.com/internet-speed-test gave a similar result: 110 Kbit/Sec.

Recounter

May 14, 2011
I was ready to pack up this 7024 and send it back over the slow wireless. I had it turned off and charging over night and today when I tried the speedtest again the speed is 10X faster, 10,077 Kbit/sec. What the heck?!? The only thing I can think of is that both the tablet and my router support both wireless B and G and that it was connecting using the slower B before.

Recounter

May 14, 2011
What I am seeing is that when I first boot the tablet it networks at 1000Kbit/sec, but after running awhile it drops down to 100Kbit/sec. This happens both on my work and home wireless networks. Nothing will get it back up to 1000 except rebooting. I called Coby Technical Support and they said, and I quote, "it's a really inexpensive tablet and the Wi-Fi in there really isn't that good".

I'm wondering if this is all 7024s or only some of them. Does anyone have a 7024 that consistently networks in the 1000 Kbit/sec range even after being up and running for a while?

tehmonkey

May 17, 2011
ya ive noticed that it does tend to run faster when u reboot it but only for less than 5 min then it goes down to a lower speed

dave52355

Dec 11, 2010
Are you running these test with Flash installed? Been my observation that Flash does not behave itself very well and gobbles up memory as it runs. Could explain why you start off with a fast connection than it slows down.

tehmonkey

May 17, 2011
Yes I am... You might be right i didnt even notice that it was gobbling my memory till I installed flash then it just started eating it up I don't even use it so I might uninstall and see if it goes back to normal

Darkmo

May 12, 2011
What version of adobe flash runs with these tablets? And where are you downloading flash from? My 8024 model is due to arrive today. Does flash work on these units at all? Thanks

tehmonkey

May 17, 2011
What version of adobe flash runs with these tablets? And where are you downloading flash from? My 8024 model is due to arrive today. Does flash work on these units at all? Thanks

well ive tried 10.1 and 10.2 and flash hasnt worked for me and it eats up my memory so i dont even bother with it i use the tablet mainly for web browsing and email since i cant really watch youtube on it either cause it wont even load just stays stuck on the loading...

Recounter

May 14, 2011
I saw the note about Flash in another thread here so I uninstalled it and the problem did not go away. I do think the problem is memory-related, though. I installed Automatic Task Killer and while the problem is not completely solved I am getting much longer periods of fast networking.

From using the Automatic Task Killer I see that some apps load themselves into memory without being launched. Examples include:

Appstore
AppsLib
Office Talk Free
Remote Desktop
Super Manager
Smooth Calendar
Advanced task Manager

Is there a way to prevent apps from loading themselves into memory without being explicitly launched?