Wireless Stability Testing

mvancil

Aug 25, 2011
I had something odd happen last night that might be related...

My videos were suddenly skipping on me (I mount a network drive and play them over the wireless).

I rebooted the tablet, the router and the server. The issue was still there, but everything seemed to be running fine from other systems on the network.

Cleared all caches from the tablet. Issue remained.

Tried a different player, different video and different server....no change.

Since I have a relatively painless wipe and restore method, I went ahead and did that. My method wipes all data and restores all apps and settings. Essentially a higher level of reboot.

This fixed it. So I have to wonder....is there some sort of file caching that doesn't normally get cleared by the cache cleaners I use? Or does the system become fragmented somehow? For now, it's a mystery but I'll wait till it happens again and poke around to see whats happening.

leighw101

Aug 13, 2011
Strangely enough that's the sort of pattern I'm seeing too - it starts off working fine then progressively gets worse until everything's reset.

It's almost as if there's some kind of data stack that's getting filled (possibly caching connection data) and when it gets too much it starts to fall over.

Will be interesting to see how you get on now you've done the reset to see how long it takes to fail over. The last re-install has been under a week and I'm already seeing dropouts at idle so there's something definitely going on there that's a little on the odd side....

mvancil

Aug 25, 2011
Well....it might be connected to another problem I'm having....If I don't make any changes, it's right around 7 days that the whole system collapses and I need to re-install. Basically, I turn it on one day, and it's asking me to re-calibrate the screen. From that point, only a full re-install will fix it.

I'm going to wait until it crashes again, then poke around the file system and look for the most recently updated files. That should lead me to the source.

Marikar

Oct 7, 2011
Ok changing to WEP2 has made my connection very stable, I am avaraging only 1 or 2 drops an hour now, used to be dropping the connection at least once every 1 to 2 mins. I use Wifi Ruler to continually scan the wifi and this reconnects in a few secs if the connection goes. This is so much better than the turning wifi off and on method, but I think may use more battery. But hey at least the damn thing now works. I am even able to watch BBC iplayer if I use Skyfire. Now all I want is a working version of flash to run in dolphin. lol.

Anyone managed to connect a pc keyboard to the Disgo ? I am getting tired of only using the touchscreen for it as this is a little innacurate and the screen recalibration doesn't seem to make any difference.

leighw101

Aug 13, 2011
I didn't find any difference when I changed the encryption but it could be due to differences in routers which would make sense as changing the firmware on my router made a big difference to the stability.
The other thing that did make a difference is changing from the stock Disgo 2.2 rom to the Sylvania rom for hwver 11.2.0.6 - stability was like night and day and the improvements have stayed for longer than they did on the stock rom.

Sent from my Scroll 7 using Android Tablet Forum