Wireless Tether from my HTC Thunderbolt to acer a500

blublazxs7

Jan 15, 2012
Is there any wireless tether apps that work with the acer a500 I have tried wireless tether but when its connecting it says obtaining ip address and never changes to connect. Any apps out there that do work.

Jan 16, 2012
you should be able to tether without doing anything different. i have a nexus phone and previously had to set wifi tether (for root, the app) to infrastructure mode because the a500 did not connect to the ad hoc network. A couple of days before Christmas, i got an update from Acer that was 3.2.1, it was a two part update. anyways, after that update - i could tether in regular ad hoc mode so the first thing you need to figure out is if you have updated software. just go into your settings, about, and see if it says 3.2.1. If it doesnt then do the update and you shoukd be good to go. if you already have that, you should test your tether with a notebook and see if it is working at all. What you are describing is exactly what was happening to me with the native tethering BEFORE the Acer update.

if you have the update and your tethering is working with other gadgets, i have no idea. it could be that your carrier has blocked it to make sure that you are paying...but even then it should work with root. if you are using an app to tether (like wifi tether for root) , try putting it into infrastructure mode. you will chhose a phone from the settings, if yours is not listed then choose a similar HTC phone. if THAT doesnt work, you might need to do a reset on your tab (factory reset with the pin hole). you might have downloaded something that is interfering with the wifi - but if your tablet is working with other wifu, thst seems HIGHLY unlikely. hope this helps!

Last edited:

blublazxs7

Jan 15, 2012
Im rooted so no need to pay for it. I dont know why wifi tether doesnt work thats why I was wondering if anyone has another app suggestion guess I will just keep trying. Also I have the updated 3.2.1

Icebike

Apr 28, 2011
I'm guessing the thunderbolt only does AdHoc mode rather than infrastructure mode when it tries to be a mobile hot spot.
Honeycomb does not normally handle ad-hoc.

Does your thunderbolt allow you to set the IP subnet that will be used by the hotspot?

juhni

Dec 5, 2011
Download this .apk code.google.com/p/android-wifi-tether/downloads/detail?name=wifi_tether_v3_1-beta2.apk

Then Go to settings chanhge device profile- Samsung Captivate
Change setup method- softap for Samsung

I use it with a rooted precedent.