With new tablets on the horizon is it better to wait?

Pamster

Nov 14, 2011
I am just wondering if we will see the current tablets going for over $350 drop to a more attainable price tag, say around $150 or $200 once the new quad core chips are unveiled at the CES. Hubby now says he wants a 10.1" tablet and I am liking the Toshiba Thrive for a few reasons, but mostly the user replaceable battery and killer specs. So let's dish, what are your thoughts? Do you expect to see the coby's drop under $100 for say the 7127? or the 7022? I know both of those are 7", but if they got down to a decent price he might settle for one, though he'd probably like the 10.1" 1125-do you think it will drop to below $100 next year? Do you think that the bigger brand names like the Thrive drop in the realm of what I am looking to pay? I know it means we won't have it NOW and all, but he's willing to wait. Hoping for a lively discussion on this subject so please share your theories and POV's on this, thanks! :D

RobKort

Nov 23, 2011
I'd say the time to get a good tablet at a killer price is now. One of my buddies on another forum just got a PlayBook for $99. The Transformer is going for $250 at BestBuy. If you wait you can probably expect pries to remain another three months would be my guess before you start seen what you want. Look around, there is a lot of good deals going on right now.

Pamster

Nov 14, 2011
It (playbook) doesn't run android right? The playbook? We're looking to get into an android tab, so I am not sure which one, but I have been researching 10.1" tablets for the past few days and I think our family should wait and get a bigger tablet and still keep the price around $150-$175-ish. I think we'll be waiting about 4-6 months before making the investment into one, and that is when I hope that we can score a deal on something like the thrive for $199 like I've seen New Egg do them for before. :D

Daphne

Nov 22, 2011
The playbook runs RIM I believe. I am just in the market for a tablet as an ereader (prefer to be able to use nook and kindle apps), web, read pdf's, watch netflix since we have the subscription and a camera would be a great bonus.
Also a cheaper 2 for the kids (13 and 6) basically for angry birds, ereader and surfing the web.

RobKort

Nov 23, 2011
The PlayBook does run on Android it just heavily skinned.

Edit/ Not true it doesn't. I was thinking of the Kindle Fire since they are the same basically. But it surely will run Android apps.

Last edited:

Pamster

Nov 14, 2011
Ahhh, that's cool, I still have no interest in the playbook though, so it's all good. LOL! ;) Thanks Rob! :D

1goodidea

Nov 13, 2011
The problem with waiting is that you may never buy as there is always going to be a new model and price drop.

Pamster

Nov 14, 2011
The problem with waiting is that you may never buy as there is always going to be a new model and price drop.

This is true, but in our case hubby will most likely purchase one in Spring of next year, or maybe early summer, it depends on when the prices drop after the CES show of next year. :)