Word documents have become "garbled" after copied to tablet. Help !

TF700

Oct 6, 2012
I didn't think I would be back here so soon with yet another question, but I am stuck.

Here is the "problem":

I had written documents on my mini-computer (mini-laptop) in the Microsoft Word 2010 format.
I copied one document (3 pages - in French) from the mini to a USB key, and this went fine.
I then plugged that same USB key to my TF700 (using the USB connection on the side of the optional keyboard) and copied the said document to the TF700, in a dedicated folder.
It copied everything except that it now shows lots of "garbled" words in the document ... looks like the tablet doesn't quite know what to do with some words, especially those with "accents" (French).

For example ... it will replace a lower case "é" with an upper case "É";
it will also sometimes use a wrong letter in a specific word, or add a letter within a word.
etc ...

I have the latest version of Android on the TF700 (ICS).

Anyone have a clue of what's happening?

JP

leeshor

Dec 27, 2011
The one thing I don't see in your description is what word processor you used. I hope it wasn't Polaris. BUT, it does sound like whatever WP you used is not translating the accented charters correctly. It's possible that all you need is a different WP. Do the docs still look OK on your mini computer, in 2010?

TF700

Oct 6, 2012
The one thing I don't see in your description is what word processor you used. I hope it wasn't Polaris. BUT, it does sound like whatever WP you used is not translating the accented charters correctly. It's possible that all you need is a different WP. Do the docs still look OK on your mini computer, in 2010?

Hi and thanks again for replying!

The original document was written in Word 2010. On the mini, it is fine.
I checked the copied doc on the USB key and all is fine.
It is only on the TF700 that the words become garbled.

The software used on the tablet is the built-in ... yes indeed "Polaris" !! :(
So that could well be the problem, right?

I will have to look for something which will allow for acurate transfer of documents (in French) because I am using (will be, that is) the TF for writing my books.

Can you suggest a decent WP that could take care of this?

I also have been having some trouble when I type accented characters such as "é", directly from the tablet virtual keyboard: when I press on "e" and hold, the different accents appear and when I choose the "é", it gives me an "è" ... quite a difference that can make in having the proper words !!

TF700

Oct 6, 2012
I had a, (bad), feeling you were going to say Polaris. Try this, International version of Kingsoft Office, FREE.

Great ... I've just downloaded it ... waiting for the install on the TF700.
I will then try again and recopy the original document (from the already copied-to-the-USB key) and see what happens.
I suppose I am better delete the "old" and messy doc first then.

Many , many thanks again !
:)

Edit: This is fantastic! I didn't even have to delete the garbled document because Kingsoft Office immediately did the expected job: no garble!

Last edited: