Working apps for Nook Color

rico2001

Dec 8, 2010
Matt,
Do you know where I can download a few movie trailers in any format other than quicktime? I'm trying out another divx/xvid player.

rico2001

Dec 8, 2010
Thanks for the link Matt, exactly what I was looking for. I liked RockPlayer ok for the most part, but I'm starting to see it's not playing xvid well at all. The new one I'm trying is yxplayer.

rico2001

Dec 8, 2010
Man I can't wait to have access to the other 256mb of ram.

Yxplayer 1.5.8 is good, plays mov/xvid smooth and in sync (video and audio)
-480p is good, 720p is ok, 1080p won't play

I think the performance is more on the NC than the player, again 2.2 and the extra ram should help greatly.

edit: yxplayer is definitely better than rockplayer since rockplayer seems to have a hard time with syncing the audio with the video.

Last edited:

gadgetrants

Staff member
Sep 22, 2010
Yxplayer has issues playing h264 (.mp4) videos.
But the built-in player handles that, right? I'm having the opposite result with yxplayer...RockPlayer (remember, I'm using an old version) seems to handle xvid better. Of course that's a sample of 1 video!

-Matt

rico2001

Dec 8, 2010
But the built-in player handles that, right? I'm having the opposite result with yxplayer...RockPlayer (remember, I'm using an old version) seems to handle xvid better. Of course that's a sample of 1 video!

-Matt

Yes the default player, as well as rockplayer handle that format nicely. So I guess the moral of the story is no one player works great for every format and just keep a few players installed to cover all your video format needs.

jamedved

Dec 18, 2010
New to Android, the NC arrives next week!

My question is does the device need rooted to install apps since there doesn't appear to be a preinstalled Marketplace or app store? If not, where can you get them and how do you install?

Thanks, big learning curve ahead.

rico2001

Dec 8, 2010
New to Android, the NC arrives next week!

My question is does the device need rooted to install apps since there doesn't appear to be a preinstalled Marketplace or app store? If not, where can you get them and how do you install?

Thanks, big learning curve ahead.

Yes your NC will need to be rooted to be able to install apps. You can download apps from many place on the net:
androidzoom.com
androidfreeware.net
appbrain.com
or simply google the name of the app followed by apk, example: "where apk"

You will need to use abd to install "ASTRO file manager", and then you can just upload apk files to your SD card and install from ASTRO. See here: Install apps to the NookColor - nookDevs

rico2001

Dec 8, 2010
Matt, I have 3 different piano apps installed and all only allow two touches at a time. Maybe 2.2 will allow for more.

Update working:
-My piano
-Piano
-Sleep timer
-xiia live
-xPiano
-yxplayer

gadgetrants

Staff member
Sep 22, 2010
Two is fine for me! WTH do you do with a 10-finger touch, anyway?!?!? :confused: I get lost with three.

-Matt

gadgetrants

Staff member
Sep 22, 2010
Nope, I heard it slowed down the Droid. Haven't used it much on the PC either. How about you?

-Matt

rico2001

Dec 8, 2010
Nope, I heard it slowed down the Droid. Haven't used it much on the PC either. How about you?

-Matt

No not really, earth app is not a live wallpaper or an app that runs in the background. It's the same app as maps but except of just maps of the US, it's the world. Google earth is as fast or slow as your device can refresh images. I have the apk off my Evo but it won't install. Probably the wrong version b/c I've seen people in videos run earth fine on the NC.

Update: So far 86 installed apps. :)

Last edited: