Working apps for Nook Color

rico2001

Dec 8, 2010
Just figured something out about my NC and softkeys. It seems I didn't truly have superuser access, which softkeys needs to function fully. Now my softkeys 2.0.2 works great.

gadgetrants

Staff member
Sep 22, 2010
EXCELLENT! I was puzzled why 2.0.2 wasn't working 100% for you. Now--like when you press, say the "Menu" key--does it stop and ask for SU access? I think that's normal behavior.

BTW, I've opted to hide the virtual button (it moved around too much, so I turned off SoftKeys service) and now rely on the handy double-n press to bring up the nice notification menu when I need it!

-Matt

markiej

Dec 22, 2010
BTW, I've opted to hide the virtual button (it moved around too much, so I turned off SoftKeys service) and now rely on the handy double-n press to bring up the nice notification menu when I need it!
How did you hide it? I would also be fine with using the "n" key to bring up the softkey bar at the bottom, but couldn't figure the way to remove the little arrow guy (which seems to always pop-up in a different, inconvenient location). Great utility though.

gadgetrants

Staff member
Sep 22, 2010
Easy-peasy: just go to the SoftKeys settings menu, and turn off the "Run Service" option.

$10-12-22-1.jpg

-Matt

rico2001

Dec 8, 2010
Someone asked about Adobe reader and having trouble seeing their loaded pdfs. I thought I'd post what I wrote them here in case someone else needs help.

The Adobe reader app reads pdf's off your SD card only, not internal storage. SO you need to install an additional SD card and move your files from internal storage to your SD card. All downloaded pdfs off the internet are automatically downloaded to your SD card.

rico2001

Dec 8, 2010
Anyone having problems installing apps that use gps, examples weather bug, weather channel and where?

gadgetrants

Staff member
Sep 22, 2010
Did the root and re-install from scratch today on the new NC. Went fairly well. I noticed that the latest autonooter package (http://nooter.googlecode.com/files/auto-nooter-2.12.25.img.zip) has several goodies baked-in, including location services, calendar, and a super set of NookColor tools (systems settings). Maybe you're running the same one?

In any case, I just gave WeatherBug a try and it worked. Not sure if other location-based apps will also load, but it's a good sign.

-Matt

rico2001

Dec 8, 2010
^Didn't use the autonooter so I don't have calendar, market, or NC tools. I prefer doing everything manually so I can learn how it all works. Yes if you would try either of those two apps. Thanks. :)

gadgetrants

Staff member
Sep 22, 2010
^Didn't use the autonooter so I don't have calendar, market, or NC tools. I prefer doing everything manually so I can learn how it all works. Yes if you would try either of those two apps. Thanks. :)
Yep, Weather Channel works great! Even auto-detected location. I'm much obliged to whoever fixed that. :D

-Matt

gadgetrants

Staff member
Sep 22, 2010
Oh noes, I kinda like this better than Softkeys. Maybe not quite as configurable yet but very simple to use.
Agreed, very nice!

Oh, and long press on the soft home key brings up last 6 apps, like physical home on other Android devices. Nice touch!

-Matt

Last edited:

rico2001

Dec 8, 2010
^ Yes Matt, I've already uninstalled softkeys. Button Savior is far better and more stable.

Kwahati

Dec 17, 2010
Hey all. Here's what I've gotten running on mine so far...

SmoothCalendar - best calendar widget I've found...

Pandora (I like the app from the market better than the one the NC ships with -- that one kept making me log back in AND it didn't seem to have a widget!)

FlightView (the lite version, haven't tried pro -- by the way, for those of you who fly a lot and haven't tried this widget out, it's totally baller. Often tells me of flight delays BEFORE it gets announced in the airport and before I get a text from the airline.)

QuickOffice Suite Pro (Views documents amazingly - editing is kinda meh...forget about starting a doc from scratch, though. It's possible but not really.)

Beautiful Widgets (Seems to have a consistent error when adding a widget where it wants to download something but never actually dl's it...I just skip past that and it works fine. Was able to download skins with no problems.)

WiFi Toggle Widget (I know, there are 100 ways to do this with different widgets and shortcuts. I like this widget b/c it works and matches my color-scheme.)

VizBattery (Once again, pick a widget any widget...I like this one b/c it has battery info when you tap it)

Firefox (This is the shizzle fo' rizzle. If only we could get T-bird and Sunbird for Android we'd be all fixed up!)

Scrabble - I really wanted this to work, and it does...but not full screen. Made me very sad to have such a classic game and have it sitting in a corner of a black screen. If anyone knows another Scrabble or Scrabble-esque game I could try that would work better, that would be awesome. I really think that a game like that and maybe a good thinking game like Balderdash or even a quiz game would be awesome to round-out what is essentially a thinkers'-and-readers' device.

BTW: thanks again to everyone here. This is a cool place to get info and I was very happy to have this forum to come research what I was getting so I could be adequately prepared before I got it.