Working on the tablet

jmhobbs

Dec 17, 2010
I've got an S7 for testing on too. Here are partitions and mount.

Code:
# cat /proc/partitions 
major minor  #blocks  name

31        0       5120 mtdblock0
  31        1     163840 mtdblock1
  31        2       5120 mtdblock2
  31        3        384 mtdblock3
  31        4      98304 mtdblock4
  31        5     179200 mtdblock5
  31        6       5120 mtdblock6
 179        0    7905280 mmcblk0
 179        1    7905215 mmcblk0p1
# mount
rootfs / rootfs ro 0 0
tmpfs /dev tmpfs rw,mode=755 0 0
devpts /dev/pts devpts rw,mode=600 0 0
proc /proc proc rw 0 0
sysfs /sys sysfs rw 0 0
tmpfs /sqlite_stmt_journals tmpfs rw,size=4096k 0 0
/dev/block/mtdblock1 /system yaffs2 rw 0 0
/dev/block/mtdblock5 /data yaffs2 rw,nosuid,nodev 0 0
/dev/block/mtdblock4 /cache yaffs2 rw,nosuid,nodev 0 0
/dev/block//vold/179:1 /sdcard vfat rw,dirsync,nosuid,nodev,noexec,uid=1000,gid=1015,fmask=0702,dmask=0702,allow_utime=0020,codepage=cp437,iocharset=iso8859-1,shortname=mixed,utf8,flush 0 0
#

perivarlura

Nov 27, 2010
Recovery is now mounting the correct folders, and the only thing left to fix is the "4 windows" clockwork creates.
Only issue/bug is that you need to mount /system
before you can adb to the device, but after its been mounted it unmounts without difficulty.
I have not yet figured out what causes this, but i think it has something to do with the original binaries/services needed to get adb to run.

I'll focus on getting recovery GUI right now first, and look into this afterwards.

Ok, so i figured out why recovery isn't working properly. The framebuffer built into the kernel does not support swapping:

framebuffer: fd 4 (800 x 480)
active fb swap failed: Invalid argument
Build : active fb swap failed: Invalid argument
not setactive fb swap failed: Invalid argument

So. what I'm thinking of now, is just to release the image as it is, question is whether i should choose clockwork or amon ra recovery, as they both have the same issue... any inputs?

The recovery works, for both of them, the only problem with not having framebuffer swap, is that the GUI is a little obscure / screwed.

Initially it will give you "two" recovery screens, that are duplicated. When you move through the menu, two more duplications will appear, and the active selection will switch from the "bottom screen" to the "top screen", and afterwards to the bottom one again as you cycle through the menu.

I guess this could easily be fixed by recompiling the kernel with correct frame buffer support, but I'm not sure whether or not I should delay this any further, as it is functional, and you guys are waiting.
Any input on this would be nice aswell...

Also fixed the problem with having to mount the system partition in order to get adb running in recovery.

I'll be going to sleep now soon, but I'll check back here sometime tomorrow, between the Christmas gift shopping, if anyone has anything to add to this.

perivarlura

Nov 27, 2010
Ok, so i figured out why recovery isn't working properly. The framebuffer built into the kernel does not support swapping:

framebuffer: fd 4 (800 x 480)
active fb swap failed: Invalid argument
Build : active fb swap failed: Invalid argument
not setactive fb swap failed: Invalid argument

So. what I'm thinking of now, is just to release the image as it is, question is whether i should choose clockwork or amon ra recovery, as they both have the same issue... any inputs?

The recovery works, for both of them, the only problem with not having framebuffer swap, is that the GUI is a little obscure / screwed.

Initially it will give you "two" recovery screens, that are duplicated. When you move through the menu, two more duplications will appear, and the active selection will switch from the "bottom screen" to the "top screen", and afterwards to the bottom one again as you cycle through the menu.

I guess this could easily be fixed by recompiling the kernel with correct frame buffer support, but I'm not sure whether or not I should delay this any further, as it is functional, and you guys are waiting.
Any input on this would be nice aswell...

Also fixed the problem with having to mount the system partition in order to get adb running in recovery.

I'll be going to sleep now soon, but I'll check back here sometime tomorrow, between the Christmas gift shopping, if anyone has anything to add to this.

Working on getting framebuffer support on the kernel.
Have some issues recompiling the zImage, so the release will be as soon as that is fixed.

perivarlura

Nov 27, 2010
remove cypress touchscreen from the config and zImage compiles fine and touchscreen too besides that I had no issues compiling even with doing changes to the kernel.

the kernel compiles fine with cypress, it's not the compiling it self, its supporting the framebuffering, but thanks for the hint :)

perivarlura

Nov 27, 2010
the kernel compiles fine with cypress, it's not the compiling it self, its supporting the framebuffering, but thanks for the hint :)

If you guys want the image now with the messed up GUI, let me know, cause there is no reason for me just to sit on it while i try to fix the framebuffer issue, as the recovery works fine.

Claian

Dec 27, 2010
Is this recovery still being worked on?
I'm happy to help if I can.
Be aware however that I have the model released in australia and as such I don't have an internal sd card. Only the external one.

Sent from my S7 using Android Tablet Forum App

Snyperx

Nov 22, 2010
Any updates? I am hoping the silence is because this is being worked on and not because it is not:)