Worth the money ......?

Howski

Feb 4, 2011
Hi,

Having had such a brilliant experience with my Google phone (HTC Hero) I have been tempted by a cheap Google tablet. You can find some very, very cheap 10.2” ones on that well known auction site for around £150. Most claim that they offer a 1ghz ARM processor of some kind and 256MB of RAM.
I’m not a fool and I’m not expecting to buy the same sort of performance as an iPad/Galaxy for that money but then again I really don’t want that much performance out of one of these things. However I’m unsure if they are worth the money and how good/bad they are.

Do you guys think it will handle the following?

• · PDF viewing.
  • · CBR viewing.
  • · General website viewing along with playing video.

Other than that I really don’t want much (sure that will change but I am going in eyes wide open). Maybe to play the odd simple game like ‘Angry birds” things like that. Also the odd app that will update off the net.

Can you offer advice – are these tablets really worth it?

Thanks in advance
-Howard.

pbrauer

Administrator
Staff member
Sep 24, 2010
as i have said other places...the main thing you really get for the extra money is support first, and future compatibility a distant second. When you select your tablet make sure that it is based on an upgrade-able architecture (the processor type should be mainstream, Snapdragon or Cortex,etc), and then see if there is an established community for the tablet. For example, the Gentouch has HORRIBLE support from Augen, but great community support making custom ROMs from day 1.

as far as video support, there are a lot of workarounds, but unless you have a 2.2 tablet out of the gate you will have to fiddle to get it working.

sinister1

Dec 6, 2010
I would not expect Angry Birds to work on anything running 2.0 or less. And I wouldn't suggest buying anything running 1.6, or you will be disappointed. Flash (video) isn't supported in the browser on anything less than 2.2, but there are a few workarounds, like a youtube app. but you can find some nice choices for less than $200. that run 2.2 , support flash, and will do what you are looking for.
I suggest you buy local if you can, and I also suggest you don't buy anything from NOWSUPPLIER, please read some vendor reviews here, Vendor Services Discussion

boneless

Dec 7, 2010
as i have said other places...the main thing you really get for the extra money is support first, and future compatibility a distant second. When you select your tablet make sure that it is based on an upgrade-able architecture (the processor type should be mainstream, Snapdragon or Cortex,etc), and then see if there is an established community for the tablet. For example, the Gentouch has HORRIBLE support from Augen, but great community support making custom ROMs from day 1.

as far as video support, there are a lot of workarounds, but unless you have a 2.2 tablet out of the gate you will have to fiddle to get it working.

What about the telechip?

Howski

Feb 4, 2011
Hi,

The tablet I was looking at had a
ZT-180 CPU with Android 2.2 and 512 MB of RAM. The bran was "epad".

I think this should be enough - right?

Thanks again for your help

-Howard