Would an Android Tablet benefit me?

Rawkfist

Nov 14, 2011
Hello,I'm am looking into purchasing a tablet...but I am not sure if I really need one. Of course I WANT one, but separating needs from wants is definitely difficult! First, I already own a laptop (almost 3 years old) running Linux, a Kindle which I use extensively, and an ipod...so essentially I am thinking I pretty much 'own' the capabilities of a tablet, just in multiple devices. I don't have a smart phone because I can't justify throwing money away and $60 per month contracts.I'm thinking a tablet could be quite a bit more portable, however, instead of carrying around my widescreen laptop (to university every semester).All I use my laptop for is the web really, so I was thinking of trying to replace it with a tablet. Also, What are note taking capabilities like on a tablet? I was thinking of using a portable keyboard, if supported, and google docs.I am considering a VIZIO VTAB 8" for $189 from Costco...the price has fallen considerably from the original $238....or should I opt for a sub-$100 tablet from walmart (maylong, velocity cruz, etc.)In short, do I even need a tablet? I'm on a tight budget...I'm not expecting anything super...but I would like something with flash, android market access, and a capacitive display. Also, does the version of Android matter? I know the latest is honeycomb, but all the cheaper tablets run 2.3 or less. Thanks for your help

Nov 16, 2011
Rawkfist,
I would say Yes.
I wanted one really badly and had a laptop about the same age, I burned my bridge and sold my laptop to get the android tablet. If you are a university student I'm sure you can use a android tablet but I urge you to not get a inexpensive one. I suggest one that is Android 2.3 or better(flash support) and I really recommend one that runs honeycomb.
You MUST get a BlueTooth Keyboard so you can type up all your notes really quickly and then you can use evernote, Google docs and Cloudprint for your school work. You can replace Laptops with tablets. Don't let folks fool you.
As far as note taking capabilites you've got : Evernote, Google Docs, Multiple generic text editors. You can take pictures and mark them up with Skitch. You can use apps like WunderList for making todo Lists. And here's the thing about google docs and Evernote. Once you type something into them on your tablet you can go to the website from any computer anywhere and view the note, edit the note and print the notes.. You also can Get Apps such as Quickoffice Pro HD which will allow you to Create and Edit Microsoft Office Files (Word, Excel, PowerPoint). I'm not sure though that the tablet's you've mentioned will cut the mustard or make you happy if you are going to try and use them for your school work, if you are going to play games on them. go for it.
-Wes
:cool:

Last edited by a moderator:

Rawkfist

Nov 14, 2011
Thanks wes! Exactly the kind of answer I was looking for. I think I'll take your advice!

bclinger

Aug 11, 2011
Quick Office Pro HD has stability issues with its handling of spreadsheets. I have used Documents To Go for years and use it on both my Evo and Acer. I purchase WHIPS based on reading the description from the and gosh, crashed on each of the spreadsheets I opened with it.

Sent from my A500 using Android Tablet Forum

bclinger

Aug 11, 2011
Also, tablets are nice and I do use mine extensively, but it does not have the overall capability of a laptop. I have used both for the same function and when push comes to shove, there are times the laptop is still required.

Sent from my A500 using Android Tablet Forum