Would it be possible?

Kairnage

Sep 25, 2011
If it is saying 32GB then it is not seeing the internal at all. If you have looked for damage then you could try better tape, or look on amazon for Xbox heat sinks. They are a soft pad that you could place on top of the tape and when you put the case back on it will press the holder down.

Spook_Man

Nov 30, 2011
Ok.. Just want to verify; so you have two SD cards a 32 GB and a 16 GB card. You want to replace the existing 4 GB internal with the 32 GB card. Some of it may seem picky and redundant, but I just want to make sure everything is done "by the book" and the way it's been passed down by others on the forums. ha-ha..

As with all other CFW jobs, "Disclaimer (borrowed from lfom): This custom firmware was tested on a MID7024 and worked fine, but you are solely responsible for its use. If it bricks your tablet you've been warned."

1. Download and install SDFormatter; https://www.sdcard.org/downloads/formatter_3/. I've never had any issues with the simple windows formatter, but others have used this program and haven't had any issues since using this program. Plus you mentioned you're using an HP formatter. It's possible this is putting HP's twist on the SD card; hard to say but some companies have their own "standards" for doing things.

2. Open and remove the existing memory; as Kairnage suggested, look to see if there's possibly any damage done to the memory slot. I used the follow documentation from MarioCG to open and remove the existing 4 GB memory; http://www.androidtablets.net/forum...recovery-recovery-image-mid-7-8-1024-a-4.html

3. One at a time, put the 16 GB and 32 GB cards into your computer and format them using SDFormatter. I'd do the 32 GB card first, take it out once the format is done and then the 16 GB last so that you can keep in the computer to copy over the ROM files.

*NOTE* - anytime you remove these memory cards from your PC, ensure you do the graceful removal; e.g. right-click "Safely remove hardware and eject media" icon in your task bar and select eject for your memory card, etc.

4. Download the latest Steev Alldro2 v1.3 CFW Rom. http://www.androidtablets.net/forum...13-cfw-mid7024-based-alldro2-gingerbread.html

5. On a whim, also download the latest stock firmware from the Coby website. This link is for the 7024 firmware. http://cobyusa.com/files/software/MID7024-Firmware.zip

6. Carefully put the newly formatted 32 GB card back into your tablet and put the internal components back together (tape, ribbon cables, etc.) and just sit the back cover on; don't press it firmly down in case you need to open up the tablet again to remove something, etc. Flip the tablet over so you see its screen.

If you want to just flash to the CFW, then jump to step 12. Beginning with step 7, we'll first install the stock firmware and then update to the latest CFW.

7. Next, unzip the Coby stock firmware (MID7024-Firmware.zip) and copy its unzipped contents onto the 16 GB card. Ensure you do the graceful removal of the memory card and place it into the external memory slot of the tablet.

8. Hold down the "home" key (the front circular key) and press and hold the power button until you see the Coby/Kyros logo and the blue text stating that it's going to do a ROM update. When you see the blue text, release both buttons.

9. As with the custom firmware, it'll begin the process of resetting up your system with the stock rom. Hopefully the system will report during the firmware update, that the internal memory is 32 GB in size. It may power off and turn back on during the process but it'll shut down once it's done.

10. Once the flash is done, I usually then remove the external SD card prior to first powering on the tablet. If the system sees this memory, it'll try to use it and copy files to it, etc. You can use it later, but for first power-up, remove it. Press and hold the power button until you see the Coby/Kyros logo. HOPEFULLY if everything went well, you'll be greeted by the Android Froyo unlock screen and then when you unlock it, be greeted by the default Coby layout, installed APPS, etc. Next, let’s update this firmware to the latest Alldro2 CFW; Power off your tablet.

Also, give it time on the first boot up. I usually let it sit and do its thing for at least a minute prior to trying to unlock it, etc.

If everything looks and works correctly, press the back of the tablet back together. You shouldn't need to open your tablet up again.

11. Put the 16 GB card into your computer and format it again using SDFormatter.

12. Next, unzip the latest Steev Alldro2 v1.3 CFW Rom (Alldro2-1.3_7024.zip) and copy its unzipped contents onto the 16 GB card. Ensure you do the graceful removal of the memory card and place it into the external memory slot of the tablet.

13. Hold down the "home" key (the front circular key) and press and hold the power button until you see the Coby/Kyros logo and the blue text stating that it's going to do a ROM update. When you see the blue text, release both buttons.

14. It'll begin the process of resetting up your system with the CFW rom. When I did the firmware update, the update reported that the system saw the internal memory at 32 GB; hopefully you too will see this. It may power off and turn back on during the process but it'll shut down once it's done.

15. Once the flash is done, I usually then remove the external SD card prior to first powering on the tablet. If the system sees this memory, it'll try to use it and copy files to it, etc. You can use it later, but for first power-up, remove it. Press and hold the power button until you see the Coby/Kyros logo. HOPEFULLY if everything went well, you'll be greeted by the Android Gingerbread unlock screen and then when you unlock it, be greeted by the layout, look, etc.

Also, give it time on the first boot up. I usually let it sit and do its thing for at least a minute prior to trying to unlock it, etc.

If everything looks and works correctly, power off the tablet and press the back of the tablet back together. You shouldn't need to open your tablet up again.

If you're still having issues, I would look at the SD cards you're using as the main culprits; e.g. the system sees the 32 GB card during flashing, but then the system locks up at the lock screen, etc. I've mainly used SanDisk SD cards and haven't had any issues. I bought a 4 GB yesterday from Wal-Mart for $10 and this will become my main flash external memory. I also bought a 32 GB SanDisk from Wal-Mart when I first got my tablet and this is what is working in the tablet just fine right now. I saw them on sale yesterday for $49 as well. I believe both as Class 2 SD cards.

And then as Kairnage suggested when you have your tablet open, look to see if there's possibly any damage done to the memory slot.

And when you're putting the tablet back together, ensure the metal memory tab is taped down and holding the memory in place. I had this issue where I put everything back together and after powering it back on, it stayed at the Kyros screen. The tape holding the metal piece down came loose and the memory wasn't seated correctly.

I hope this write-up helps you and maybe helps someone else if they want to tackle a memory upgrade project for their Coby 7024.

Also, if you're using a custom rom and MAC address filtering on your wireless router, following lfrom's tip http://www.androidtablets.net/forum...our-mac-address-across-firmware-installs.html to keep using the same MAC address for all your custom rom updates. This works well and I've used this tip for all my updates from Alldro2 version 1.1 SP-1 to version 1.3.

Thanks..

Kairnage

Sep 25, 2011
Just a couple of thing to add. Minimum Class 4 on the SD card. Particularly if you are going to watch any high res movies or TV. Speed counts. For flashing bigger isn't better. The microsd you flash from should be 4GB or less. Not that you can't use bigger, but you are likely to have less problems. If you use bigger, try padding the card add a couple of large files to the card with the flash files.

merl

Feb 8, 2012
To Whom It May Concern;

I have tried ALL of the above suggestions (Thanks guys) but have had nothing but bad luck.
At one point I did get it to boot up and see the internal SD, load the updated Coby Firmware and go to the unlock screen, but the screen would only respone for a few seconds at a time. (totaly un-usable) I was able to get past the unlock screen (kept trying the slider until I got it) and the buttons all worked (could open Browser, menu, go back, search) but the screen would only for a few seconds (3-4).

I went through the "Process" again, but it hangs at the ulnlock screen again (screen never works)

I powered it off and back on, now it does not see the internal SD or the external SD. It slowly goes to the unlock screen and hangs.
It shows "Low Memory" in the notification bar but the screen will not accept any input and the buttons are lit all the time.

Holdin the Home and Power no longer start Recovery. The buttons light up and then everything powers off.

I feel I have waisted enough of everyones time on this. They still have another one in the store... looks like it may have my name on it!

Thanks for all the help, but I am giving up. This will still be Back Burner project, but I am going to get a new one.

Is the Alldro2-1.3 the CFW to use on MID1024 or should I use the GingerLF-1.5?

Thanks again.

Merl

Last edited:

Spook_Man

Nov 30, 2011
@Merl, sorry to hear it didn't work for you. Any issues using the stock 4 GB memory, reflashing, etc?

Sent from my Steev Alldro2 v1.3 MID7024-32G

merl

Feb 8, 2012
@Merl, sorry to hear it didn't work for you. Any issues using the stock 4 GB memory, reflashing, etc?

Sent from my Steev Alldro2 v1.3 MID7024-32G

Putting the stock 4 GB sd back in didn't make any difference.
But now, after taking the 4 GB out and fomating the 16 GB with Windows XP and putting it back in, the MID1024 sees the 16 GB and runs the Upgrade System. I was able to reload the Coby Firmware Update MID1024N-android2.2. It booted up to the unlock screen but the screen is not responding.

I loaded CFW-MID1024-GingerLF-V1.5 and got the same results. (screen doesn't work)

The problems seem to be changing but I still can't get it to work.

I went to buy a new one just to find the price had gone up $100 (was $199, now $299)
I think I will order a new one from Amazon. My nephew wants this one if I get it going.

Thanks

Merl

mharckk

Dec 4, 2011
have u try to fix the position of the internal microsd using other tape? maybe the tape is loose. and try to use microsd which is class 4 and higher, some say they prefer class 6 to 10.

merl

Feb 8, 2012
have u try to fix the position of the internal microsd using other tape? maybe the tape is loose. and try to use microsd which is class 4 and higher, some say they prefer class 6 to 10.

Been there, done that. The SD card is nice and snug in the holder and now even has a peice of mouse pad foam taped to it.

It now boots up and sees the internal SD but the tousch screen no longer works.

I loaded the Volcano 13 CFW. This lets me get past the unlock screen by pressing the Menu button. all the other buttons work also.(search, back, home, menu, browser, Vol up, Vol Dn, power) but the screen will not accept any input.

Thanks,

Merl

jenlou

Dec 23, 2011
Been there, done that. The SD card is nice and snug in the holder and now even has a peice of mouse pad foam taped to it.

It now boots up and sees the internal SD but the tousch screen no longer works.

I loaded the Volcano 13 CFW. This lets me get past the unlock screen by pressing the Menu button. all the other buttons work also.(search, back, home, menu, browser, Vol up, Vol Dn, power) but the screen will not accept any input.

Thanks,

Merl

Have you done the calibration?

jenlou

Dec 23, 2011
This is the first I've heard of any calibration.

Please do tell me how to go about it.

Thanks,

Merl

You'll find it one of your apps (it's has the blue square icon) or under settings. Try to see if you can even access that app. If you can access it, all you have to do is press the plus sign (if touch screen will respond).

merl

Feb 8, 2012
You'll find it one of your apps (it's has the blue square icon) or under settings. Try to see if you can even access that app. If you can access it, all you have to do is press the plus sign (if touch screen will respond).

The touch screen seems to be the problem now, it won't respond to anything.

Thanks,

Merl

mharckk

Dec 4, 2011
have you tried kairnage suggestion using a magnifying glass to see if u might have damage a slot? i hope u can fix your tablet cause im about to open my coby too and replace it with a 16gb microsd.but now im hesitant to do it.

merl

Feb 8, 2012
yep, I looked everything over with magnifying glass but didn't see anything. That's not to say that there was nothing to see, just that I didn't see anything.

I'm wondering if it's faulty hardware since my problem started off as not being able to see the internal SD card. That somehow got fixed but now the screen will not respond.

Good luck with yours.

I have new one on the way and I am just dumb enough to try it again.

jenlou

Dec 23, 2011
The touch screen seems to be the problem now, it won't respond to anything.

Thanks,

Merl

I suggested the calibration step because sometimes touch screen is unresponsive without going through the calibration (from my experience). So now your tablet is locked in the homescreen? It's a capacitive screen right? So you need to use a stylus or your nails to calibrate it. But if it is totally unresponsive, I'm guessing something went wrong when you tried to change the internal sd card.