would xoom have been better?

dan776

Apr 27, 2011
Don't get me wrong, I love my Acer... but I am bummed about microphone quality and GPS basically unusable.

Are the quality of those better on xoom?

What would I be giving up if I took this back for a xoom? Aside from having to pay more cash for it? Might be worth it for better mic and GPS that works... the specs are identical as far as I can tell.

Garemlin

Super Moderator
Staff member
Nov 13, 2010
I have a Xoom and an A500. In all honesty the GPS and mic/camera are two things that are of least importance to me in a tablet. Also I don't have any issues with the GPS on my Acer. Other than that there isn't much that the Xoom can do that the Acer can't. Vanilla Honeycomb is nice but not a deal-breaker. If the mic and GPS are important to you and you don't think that the Acer can meet your needs then by all means take it back. Nothing worse than buyers remorse after the return window is up.

dan776

Apr 27, 2011
Hmmm, I probably will stick with the Acer. Its true, I wouldn't use GPS on it with no car charging capabilities. Microphone would be good just for better voice recognition, but not a dealbreaker.

So you have both... which do you use more? Is there any difference whatsoever in video playback or performance at all?

Garemlin

Super Moderator
Staff member
Nov 13, 2010
Hmmm, I probably will stick with the Acer. Its true, I wouldn't use GPS on it with no car charging capabilities. Microphone would be good just for better voice recognition, but not a dealbreaker.

So you have both... which do you use more? Is there any difference whatsoever in video playback or performance at all?

Video playback is about the same. But in all honesty the Acer is a little more snappy and smooth. The multi-touch works incredibly on the Acer. I compared the two in maps and a desktop website. I could pinch and zoom and rotate smoothly at the same time on the Acer. The Xoom didn't seem to want to do both at the same time. And sometimes rotation does not work well at all on the Xoom.

dan776

Apr 27, 2011
Thank you. Its good to get an impression from someone who has both.

The fact is I am more than impressed with the tablet. It's solid and versatile. If I traded it in, I think I'd be disappointed with the xoom.

Garemlin

Super Moderator
Staff member
Nov 13, 2010
Thank you. Its good to get an impression from someone who has both.

The fact is I am more than impressed with the tablet. It's solid and versatile. If I traded it in, I think I'd be disappointed with the xoom.

The only thing you may be disappointed with is spending the extra money. The Xoom is a solid device. Don't get me wrong. It just doesn't do $150 worth of extras IMO.