Would you reccomend this tablet?

code347

Feb 4, 2011
The question you posed really depends on what you purchased it for. What I mean is with a lot of these less polished tablets, there is going to be some work that needs to be done on them in order to get them running the way that you want. The trade off being that it costs less. Android is an open source OS that allows for people to help make it better, and they have been doing just that in spades.

The Android tablet market is new. This is an OS for phones that is being adapted to tablet use, and being that it is in its infancy, the kinks are being worked out. So if you are a person that wants to dig in an work at making your device better, you have to kind of read around and see what is or isn't going to work. If you are looking for a more polished tablet, then you will have to pay more.

If you really look at the Tablet market right now, what you are paying for is the ROM in these devices. These companies have taken the open source of Android and developed a pretty good working OS for their device...i.e. Samsung...

Kyros is not there yet, but people are working on it. I believe that when Coby is finally forced to open up the source code, we will see a marked improvement to ROM's for this tablet.

So would I recommend this to someone that was not inclined to root and improve the functionality? No. You would be frustrated with it within a week, and something a little more polished would be in order for Joe Casual Tablet User.

If you got it to root it and customize it your way? Absolutely. It is a great value for the device that you get, and for all of the things that can be done with it.

pbrauer

Administrator
Staff member
Sep 24, 2010
If you really look at the Tablet market right now, what you are paying for is the ROM in these devices. These companies have taken the open source of Android and developed a pretty good working OS for their device...i.e. Samsung...

I am going to have to disagree with this statement. 90% of all Android Tablets can be "flashed" with some form of custom ROM, and while they are platform specific in build, once vendor customizations are released if they are good they are quickly ported to other devices. Evidence of this is all over if you look, the Samsung Email Client, the Toshiba Launcher being just two examples.

What you are paying the premium for is the device itself, in terms of vendor support and quality of build. Devices made by American companies are subject to FCC review and approval, as well as multiple other reviews and requirements, and them come with on-going vendor upgrade and service. You also get a higher level quality control in Major Brand devices. Off-brand tablets do not have any of these requirements, can use inferior materials, and rarely include any kind of meaningful support from the manufacturers. If you look at the various threads on these forums one of the main topics is the lack of support or issues with build.

So, while it is true that some of the cheaper devices also have locked down ROMs, this usually has less to do with the proprietary nature of the technology (it is open source) than building a ROM that runs on the cheapest possible configuration.

Sketch_Says

Feb 6, 2011
Recommendstions are a tricky business. I will say that the people on this forum provided me with enough information to make an educated decision without directly recommending the device. I think that if you do the homework, you'll be happy with it. Bottom line, know what you are getting vs what you want.

Sent from my MID7015

jair2k4

Dec 14, 2010
Go to K-mart. Buy an Augen Gentouch. Use it for a week. Before you pull the noose tight or put the barrel in your mouth, take it back and get a Coby. Suddenly the world is rainbows and Unicorns.

In other words, buy this one. it's exponentially better than some of the crap you can get out there for the same price. Like everyone else has said, it all depends on your needs. As long as you don't anticipate this thing being an ipad, or the equivalent of a smartphone with a 1ghz snapdragon, then you are good. For what it is.... it's one of the best.

jrsharp21

Jan 31, 2011
The Kyros is my first tablet. I am very pleased with it so far. I rooted it and installed the Google Market. I have had fun just trying to customize the look with ADW Launcher and Beautiful Widgets. It has worked great for me so far. I would definitely recommend buying one at the $150 price point. The only complaint is that you have to get used to this style of the touch screen. I came from an iPhone and it took me a few days to get used to holding down on the screen and scrolling instead of just swiping. Other than that, great tablet. Sound and picture quality is awesome.

popeye1128

Feb 14, 2011
Go to K-mart. Buy an Augen Gentouch. Use it for a week. Before you pull the noose tight or put the barrel in your mouth, take it back and get a Coby. Suddenly the world is rainbows and Unicorns.

Almost sharted when I read this :D.

I have to add that out of all the low priced tablets, I'm glad I decided on this one. I would recommend it as long as the person understood what it really is.

Last edited:

jrsharp21

Jan 31, 2011
I just have to say how much this tablet has rocked. For $150, it has done everything expected and more. I really only wanted this to be a portable movie player and internet browser. But this has turned into a pretty cool toy to do all sorts of the other things. Once you get the tablet rooted, Google market installed, and all your customizations to your liking it is a rocking tablet. Coming from an iPhone, it takes a little getting used to this type of touch screen, but once you understand how it reacts and how you can make it react better it is a sweet tablet.