Would You Return Your Vtab If You could?

Stringrazor

May 3, 2012
I have another couple of months to play with the Vtab while deciding on an answer to this question for myself. I'm wondering how many current Vtab owners would return their tablet if they could get a full refund. If not, why would you choose to keep it? If so, what other tablet would you get?

IndyOne

Mar 12, 2012
I bought my Vtab after months (literally) of research. For features and pricepoint I was looking for (~$200) the Vtab was hands down the choice to make.

I purchased mine in early December, 2011 when Gingerbread was the OS still. My Vtab is my daily companion for work and home - it has replaced a bulky Day-Timer organizer, an MP3 player, and the need to fire up a netbook whenever I need to check something online. I don't even carry a briefcase to the office anymore, just my Vtab. I have enjoyed the Vtab since day one and since the upgrade to Honeycomb the experience has been even better and I see the value in my purchase even more.

So, no, I would not return my Vtab if I could and I wouldn't even trade it for any other Android tablet out there.

james23p

Nov 15, 2011
No my Vtab is the perfect size, bigger than a seven inch tab but more portable than a ten inch tab. I truly enjoy my Vtab and as mentioned the HC update has really made my Vtab sing!

Jim

mooney101

Mar 16, 2012
Two things missing. No root and buggy flash when having to side load. I this to things really bug me.

Sent from my VTAB1008 using Tapatalk 2

Androidfonefan

Jan 14, 2012
For general use the VTAB is very good. I like the FormFactor being much like the IPad. Most 10 inch tablets are too skinny one way and too wide the other. I like the IPad shape better but prefer Android over Apple. If the VTAB had been 10 inch and had more memory, ram, faster processor I would have never bought anything else........until a bigger tablet came out that is.

Conspirator

Feb 10, 2012
The new 10" VTAB should be out some time in the near future. Hopefully it comes with ICS and the launcher is not fully locked down like it is now.

FanNo301

Oct 15, 2011
My first Vtab got hot and took 12hrs to charge. Took it back, then bought an iPad2. Bought it in the morning, played with it all day. Took it back that afternoon. Then bought another Vtab. Can't see the extra $350 for the iPad2. I'm with some of the others, this does more than I wanted.

Sent from my VTAB1008 using Android Tablet

May 12, 2012
I intentionally lag behind tech trends so that I don't have to pay a premium price. I really needed something to use for astronomy apps, for maps, charts, coordinates, object databases and such and felt like the small tablet format would be great for that. Since I intended it mostly for that, I promised myself that when I saw a decent tablet at X price, I would buy it. The Vtab hit X price a few weeks ago and I bought one. It immediatly updated to Honeycomb and I have had zero problems with it and it is not only running my astro apps, but I am reading more and playing a lot more games due to being able to carry the thing around. My nine year old son loves it and frankly, if I lost it tomorrow, I would buy another one ASAP.

J515OP

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jan 6, 2011
I love hearing all the good time people are having with their VTabs. I am sorry for those with issues but hopefully either with help here or from Vizio we can help get you going properly again. :)

Roger2008

Apr 4, 2012
I love hearing all the good time people are having with their VTabs. I am sorry for those with issues but hopefully either with help here or from Vizio we can help get you going properly again. :)

I know that Vizio is testing a version of their software that does not have all the problems I've found and the level 4 techs even have trouble trying to recreate problems I've found because they have already done the update for their update on most the tablets floating around there.

And we must not forget why Vizio got into the Tablet market in the first place. They wanted something to go with their televisions like a big remote control so if their tablet can not be used as a big remote control they will gladly help you with it.

The Flash player issues I have found are just one program to them written by someone else so they treat it exactly like that.

I have set up a web site just for them to help them track down the issues I've found with their Flash Player and even though it was designed to help demonstrate the problems with their Flash Player they refuse to visit that site with a VTAB1008 running Build/HTK55 or the exact same software I'm using.

They have been to my site with a desktop but it is like they know their build HTK55 has problems so they will not let me address them. And even if they fix all the problems with their version of the Flash Player I'm betting they will always take 9.5% of the screen away for their "New buttons."

As I've told them. Before I exchange this tablet for one without the WiFi problems I want to document problems I'm having with it incase someone else is having the same ones. What I need now is a converter to go from HDMI to component so I can record the video output of the Vizio VTAB1008 on a PC.

And even though I also have a youtube site setup to help demonstrate problems with Vizio's youtube application I've been told flat out by the weekday level 4 tech that he does not care if it has issues with playlist so that problem might never be addressed or they have already addressed it and he is just messing around.

The worst part of this whole ordeal is if they really cared about problems with their software they would let us go back to a previous version of their software until they get more of their bugs worked out.

Last edited:

lloydsw

Oct 26, 2011
Absolutely not!!! To me, it's a perfect size and the tablet comes at a great price point. I believe it is an excellent value for the money. Sure you could pay a lot more $$$ for a better tablet, but again, I think it is worth the going price.

lesterF

Mar 9, 2012
I would return mine. I bought a tablet so that I could connect it to my HDTV. When the tab was Gingerbread, the HDMI output was fullscreen on my tv and worked great. With the Honeycomb update, it's no longer fullscreen. I contacted Vizio support, and they basically said it is what it is, sorry. I have a refurb and can no longer return it.

Roger2008

Apr 4, 2012
I would return mine. I bought a tablet so that I could connect it to my HDTV. When the tab was Gingerbread, the HDMI output was fullscreen on my tv and worked great. With the Honeycomb update, it's no longer fullscreen. I contacted Vizio support, and they basically said it is what it is, sorry. I have a refurb and can no longer return it.

Not only that but before the last update while you could still go full screen on youtube videos all you had to do was double tap a youtube video and you were in full screen.

Now, if you double tap a youtube video all you get is a bigger video and you have to move it into place or you have to tap right in the bottom right hand corner to get it to go full screen and sometimes you have to zoom in on the video first meaning it is not near as easy as it used to be to even get near full screen.

As for the HDMI problem. Yes, before the only issue was it was still a 1024x768 screen on a HD monitor but now it doesn't even fill the HD monitor the way it used to.

Stringrazor

May 3, 2012
Even if you kill the button bar service? Not that I'm much concerned about that function. I don't see the value of plugging a portable device into a big screen, at least not for me.

This thread asks whether the VTab is still a good choice. I played with a 7" GalaxyTab running ICS for a short few minutes today and the responsiveness compared to the Vtab was like night and day. It was $235 vs $189 but over the life of the device, that's not much. The 7" 16x9 screen looked a LOT smaller than the Vtab but OTOH it could probably fit int a jacket pocket. Haven't compared features (probably doesn't have the IR h/w).

Last edited: