Would You Return Your Vtab If You could?

Roger2008

Apr 4, 2012
Even if you kill the button bar service?

FYI there is a way to kill the on screen button bar and still have the Back, Home and Menu keys but it requires a bluetooth keyboard and even with the button bar removed from the screen some programs do not know the buttons are gone and still limit you to a 1024x695 screen so even with extra hardware that doesn't put things back the way they were before the update to Honeycrud.

This thread asks whether the VTab is still a good choice.

While it was a good Tablet for the price even the $300 I paid for it, after the last software update it is no good for anything I used to use it for. As a matter of fact about all I use it for now is to complain about the last software update.

Now to answer the subject of this thread:

Yes, if I could return my HC VTAB1008 that has been a world of problems after the software update to Honeycrud I would.

And yes, I plan on returning a Gingerbread VTAB1008 just because Vizio can not help me stop that constantly nagging update message forever because I know that update trashed my first VTAB1008.

More about problems I've found with the HC VTAB1008 update can be found at:
http://www.androidtablets.net/forum...-way-undo-honeycomb-upgrade-2.html#post203266

hardsell

Sep 19, 2011
I would return if I could and even though I had a number of issues with the vtab, no tablet is perfect so you have to learn to live with the blemishes and imperfections, and I pretty much have learned to live and let live with it _but_ if I could return it, I would

my reason for returning would be price paid and size

I was one of the few who paid over $300 for their vtab (darn that super review from mobiletechreview:) and that was simply too much and vizio seemed to agree as the price point came down $140 bucks from the initial $329

and I REALLY prefer the 7 inch size (my kindle dxg was too big (sold) my archos 5 it 500 got too small for my vision (given away), the vtab doesnt fit in any of my coat pockets so for my primary purpose to have something to do while waiting at doctors offices, having a cane in one hand I don't like carrying bags when I can help it) I do have a super cheap $79 (sale and coupon) craig 7 incher but it is basically tethered to its charger for night reading as its battery life is even less than the vtab, but the size works....

and I like a raised bezel, makes it easier to hold although I realize the sleek look is in, I like the clunkier look, feel

I would be looking at: (if I had my money back I would not pay over $199 for a tablet ever again)

Coby Kyros 7-Inch Android 4.0 4 GB 16:9 Capacitive Multi-Touchscreen Widescreen Internet Tablet with Built-In Camera, Black MID7042-4 $117.98
Amazon.com: Coby Kyros 7-Inch Android 4.0 4 GB 16:9 Capacitive Multi-Touchscreen Widescreen Internet Tablet with Built-In Camera, Black MID7042-4: Computers & Accessories think this comes in 8 inch too at $155

or wait to see if the Samsung Galaxy Tab 2 (7-Inch, Wi-Fi) $249
Amazon.com: Samsung Galaxy Tab 2 (7-Inch, Wi-Fi): Electronics

ever goes down/ on sale/ staple tablet coupon:) to a $199ish price

having amazon prime before they added videos and such a kindle fire would almost be okay as well, I don't like all the restrictions but there is usually a refurb $139 sale (from the usual refurb $169) that is appealing, too

but for $189 I guess the vtab is a good price if you like the size format as it seems most tablets are 7, 9.7 or 10 inch now and the 8 inch size is a niche class of only 4 or 5 tablets on the market now

Stringrazor

May 3, 2012
I just allowed the HC update. I spent the evening (while watching the Rangers get beat) playing with the new load, mostly with how to ditch/reload the status bar as documented HERE. Turns out w/o root access, ButtonSavior only partially works (HOME works but no BACK function). With the HC status bar gone, the stock browser works better than Dolphin because of the on-screen back/foward buttons (I found the Dolphin gesture i/f for the same functions kludgy). The HideBAR app crashes when trying to hide the bar but it does work to restart the SystemIU app and bring the bar back. So, I can mostly navigate without the bar and get use of the full screen (seems it should be easy to incorporate a hide bar option in Android - is it already in ICS?). Anyone know if ButtonSavior Pro works any better than the free version w/o root?

Some apps, like Talkatone, that were problematic under GB work fine under HC and my BT earpieces connect. I was able to get to connect to both wireless networks I commonly use but I did see the WiFi icon indicate poor reception then excellent reception just a few feet from the router so I'll be watching this. A flash game I like, chainfactor.com doesn't work under HC and I believe it did under GB. It seems to take a lot longer to boot up but once booted it usually responds faster than it did under GB. Oh, rotation is now a full 360 degrees, not just 90 as it was under GB. I do not like the changes in Google Talk chat client but that's the app rather than the OS. I haven't gotten the 2.1 OTA update yet.

I'm still on the fence about keeping it. I do like having it. The IR remote was cool out of the box, but I find I could live without it. It bugs me not having root access to a device I own (doesn't help that I'm losing root access to some servers at work....lol).

Kemper

Mar 15, 2012
FYI there is a way to kill the on screen button bar and still have the Back, Home and Menu keys but it requires a bluetooth keyboard and even with the button bar removed from the screen some programs do not know the buttons are gone and still limit you to a 1024x695 screen so even with extra hardware that doesn't put things back the way they were before the update to Honeycrud.

While it was a good Tablet for the price even the $300 I paid for it, after the last software update it is no good for anything I used to use it for. As a matter of fact about all I use it for now is to complain about the last software update.

Now to answer the subject of this thread:

Yes, if I could return my HC VTAB1008 that has been a world of problems after the software update to Honeycrud I would.

And yes, I plan on returning a Gingerbread VTAB1008 just because Vizio can not help me stop that constantly nagging update message forever because I know that update trashed my first VTAB1008.

More about problems I've found with the HC VTAB1008 update can be found at:
http://www.androidtablets.net/forum...-way-undo-honeycomb-upgrade-2.html#post203266

Go to Costco and get yourself a GB tablet that doesn't have HC. Just keep refusing the upgrade. I did, Sell you HC tablet and get the GB with a year warranty at Costco. They must be dumping every tab they have before the 10' intro, because every Costco has a boat load of them.

Roger2008

Apr 4, 2012
Go to Costco and get yourself a GB tablet that doesn't have HC. Just keep refusing the upgrade. I did, Sell you HC tablet and get the GB with a year warranty at Costco. They must be dumping every tab they have before the 10' intro, because every Costco has a boat load of them.

Do you think they came down in price yet?

BTW I bought a GB VTAB at Costco but I havent used it for a while and I'm thinking of returning it next week. I want to use it for documentation but I haven't been able to get around to that yet and I don't really want to get stuck with it because I'd rather have the GB version right before that GB version.

robert3433

Jan 8, 2012
Yes, if I could I would return my Vtab's. The more updates that come through the less and less functions work. Everything I used the Vtab for before the HC update doesn't work. Can't connect it to any TV in my house because they are all Vizio TV's. No HBO Go but that is HBO's issue not Vizio but still was one of the primary functions for me. Really tired of the fact that we can't update the Flash player that shows up on the update list when you go to the market. Vtab turns off on its own from time to time. Doesn't always turn on or wake up when you push the power button. Loses its network connection often. The on device buttons are disabled since HC upgrade replaced by button bar on screen. Vizio is really slow with updates and support doesn't seem to care much about fixing majority of problem. To me it's total BS that I can't return the tablet due to crappy software updates, the tablet does not function to the same as the day I purchased it and I have no ability to roll it back to original state. I can't wait for Win8 tablets to hit the market.

Deandec

Nov 25, 2011
No, my unit works fine since the updates. I can play movies on my Vizio and Panasonic TV's, it does nothing out of the ordinary in terms of operation.

I am sure that as Tablet competition grows, my purchase price of $189 for what we got will look poorly, but that goes with the territory of buying early into the fad.

I am most pleased that Vizio continues to spend the money to upgrade the VTab 1008 software and give it free to existing owners. They do not need to do that, unless they plan to continue to sell the model or a variant in the future.

My tablet is better than when I purchased it and that makes it an even better purchase.

SEMIJim

Aug 20, 2011
My wife and I bought our VTAB1008s about a year ago. On the whole: We're relatively pleased with them. We've used them so much we believe upgrades are justifiable, but they're such a good bang for the buck that we've been unable to find anything that we feel is enough an improvement over them to justify the additional cost. Thus we're awaiting the VTAB 3010.

Jim

Roger2008

Apr 4, 2012
Stringrazor said:
I have another couple of months to play with the Vtab while deciding on an answer to this question for myself. I'm wondering how many current Vtab owners would return their tablet if they could get a full refund. If not, why would you choose to keep it? If so, what other tablet would you get?

I returned my GB vtab on Friday mainly because I wasn't using it for anything.

sdspieg

Sep 11, 2011
I would. The IR-app (and let's face it - that was the main reason why many of this bought this tablet) is quite awful. If there EITHER were a root again (so that we could deal with the many issues that people have raised - like being able to update apps when WE want, and not when Vizio 'allows' it) OR if third-party IR apps (like Touchsquid) would be allowed, things might look different. But I hardly use it now - it is a very poor (slow, unresponsive, ...) tablet and pretty worthless (certainly for us who do NOT live in the States and want support for non-US devices) as a remote... Even the Galaxy Tabs now have an IR blaster AND Touchsquid...

dmelendez34

Mar 15, 2012
I would have said no to returning my vtab about a month ago, but lately it has been annoying me a lot. The lack of processing power and memory didn't bother as much when I first bought it 9 months ago for $190. Now I find myself using it less and less because I can't stand waiting for apps to load and run stutter free. I have a 16gbmicro sd card and I have plenty of internal space left but my favorite apps still take forever to load. Netflix, facebook, pulse, and the web browser are the four big apps I need to run smoothly to enjoy using my vtab and they never do.

I still think it was a good buy but if I could return it, and use the money to buy a nexus 7, I so would.

J515OP

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jan 6, 2011
That is strange I don't mind the limited processing power because I also use the VTab for limited purposes. I am surprised to hear that Netflix, facebook, pulse, and the web browser don't run smoothly. These should all be ok and are similar to what I run. The stock browser isn't the best in all cases so you may want to tray a different browser (there are many to choose from).

Other than that my only suggestion is to look for rouge apps that are sucking up processor even though they are not in use. You might want to get a system monitor app and run that for a while to see what might be slowing your Vtab down. Another thing to try if you can't find a slow down is to do a factory reset. This will clear all your apps and data (make a back up if that is important) but should help speed things up again. Add back only the apps you use and see if any create a noticeable slow down when you add them back. Of course this thing is never going to be a power house but should be fine for those activities.

JP

Stringrazor

May 3, 2012
I have 2 weeks left on my 90 day return for the Vtab. Today I picked up a Samsung GalaxyTab 2 7.0 for $239 (with slip-in case included) @ CostCo and so starts another 90-day countdown. I will use them side by side for a while to convince myself there's no reason to miss the Vtab. After the update to GB, the auto-rotation feature has been agonizingly slow when it works at all. Typing is a real pain. Vizio's blocking of rooting ability was annoying. The GT has front & rear cams, GPS, and IR blaster so I don't think there's anything the Vtab can do that the GT can't do faster and smoother. The want to see if the smaller screen size bothers me. I'm thinking it will actually make it easier to take out of the house.

azturbomini

Apr 4, 2012
The difference between the Vtab and Gtab are night and day. The screen real estate is smaller but the extra processor and the Samsung software make the Gtab a lot faster. I also noticed Wi-Fi is a lot faster. If your thinking about selling your Vtab do it now. If you wait 6 months it won't be worth much because of all of the newer 7" tablets coming out. The Gtab is also easily rooted.
Take care guys.