wrong device country

aschoepp

May 16, 2013
Hello,

Hoping someone can help me. I've got an ASUS TF700T tablet with Android 4.2.1 installed that I bought in Canada (my home country). I'm now in the UK for a month and there are a few apps that I would like to install (mainly TVcatchup and BBC iplayer, mediaplayer) Whenever I try to install these apps I just get a message saying it is not permitted (This item cannot be installed in your device's country)

I realize that I would not be able use these apps while out of the UK surely there must be some way to use them while in the UK? These tablets are mobile after all, I bought it to travel with, so it seems strange that you can't use certain apps based on where it was bought rather than where you currently are.

Any advice would be appreciated.
Thanks,
Al

leeshor

Dec 27, 2011
Welcome to the forum Al

Yes, you would think you could, but you can't. Had you installed the apps in Canada, (some would not install there either), some may have worked fine in the UK but many would not. The restrictions are Country specific and have little relationship to Android and no relation to the fact that you have a Transformer.

2 issues come to mind. The first is the version of the firmware you are using which lets the Internet know where you are, (there are several location specific versions). The second would be the IP address you may be using. For instance there are many countries where Google Music simply isn't available. Sometimes that's a government problem - or a Google issue.

Sorry for the mixed explanation but there isn't a lot you can do about it. The only thing some people have managed ahead of time is to arrange for VPN back to their home country or to the US where most all the services are available.

Spider

Administrator
Staff member
Mar 24, 2011
Hello Al, congratulations on your TF700T and welcome to the forum. Nice to have you as a member of Android Tablets.

I don't personally have any experience downloading apps outside of the US, but you might find something helpful in this thread: http://www.androidtablets.net/forum...atives-google-play-store-amazon-appstore.html

I'm also moving your thread to the Android Tablet Q&A section for you, where more people are likely to join the discussion and try to help you. Good luck and enjoy the forum!

aschoepp

May 16, 2013
Thanks for the info, too bad it wan't better news. I think it must be the firmware that is causing the issue and it doesn't seem that there is anything that can be done about it. I had tried installing the apps in Canada with no luck and the IP address is not the issue since my wife is connecting from the same location and has no issues using the windows versions of these programs. It seems that the Android machines are getting there location from the firmware rather than the IP address.

To me this seems like a poor way of dealing with it as blocking apps based on where the unit is bought rather than where it is being used seems a little silly for a mobile device..

Welcome to the forum Al

Yes, you would think you could, but you can't. Had you installed the apps in Canada, (some would not install there either), some may have worked fine in the UK but many would not. The restrictions are Country specific and have little relationship to Android and no relation to the fact that you have a Transformer.

2 issues come to mind. The first is the version of the firmware you are using which lets the Internet know where you are, (there are several location specific versions). The second would be the IP address you may be using. For instance there are many countries where Google Music simply isn't available. Sometimes that's a government problem - or a Google issue.

Sorry for the mixed explanation but there isn't a lot you can do about it. The only thing some people have managed ahead of time is to arrange for VPN back to their home country or to the US where most all the services are available.

aschoepp

May 16, 2013
The problem is that the hardware seems to be saying it is not in the UK even though that is where I'm physically located for the next month. It's something to do with Android as my wife's Windows computer connects fine to BBC over here using the Windows version of the iplayer and the same internet access I'm trying with the ASUS.

Seems to be a design issue with Android to me.

Hello Al, congratulations on your TF700T and welcome to the forum. Nice to have you as a member of Android Tablets.

I don't personally have any experience downloading apps outside of the US, but you might find something helpful in this thread: http://www.androidtablets.net/forum...atives-google-play-store-amazon-appstore.html

I'm also moving your thread to the Android Tablet Q&A section for you, where more people are likely to join the discussion and try to help you. Good luck and enjoy the forum!

leeshor

Dec 27, 2011
Thanks for the info, too bad it wan't better news. I think it must be the firmware that is causing the issue and it doesn't seem that there is anything that can be done about it. I had tried installing the apps in Canada with no luck and the IP address is not the issue since my wife is connecting from the same location and has no issues using the windows versions of these programs. It seems that the Android machines are getting there location from the firmware rather than the IP address.

To me this seems like a poor way of dealing with it as blocking apps based on where the unit is bought rather than where it is being used seems a little silly for a mobile device..

You are essentially correct but this is not entirely an ASUS or the firmware fault. Android and Windows just aren't even kissing cousins. Most other Android devices, but especially tablets, have similar issues.