XOOM & IPAD2 Comparison

Discussion in 'Motorola Tablets' started by tiht20, Aug 28, 2011.

1. tiht20

tiht20 Member

Tablet / Device:
    MID8024
    Hello,

I'm comparing between Xoom and Ipad2,
    Can anyone tell me his experience or other comparisons area to help me more to chose.
    Where the GREEN areas show points of strength.
    Apple IPAD-2 (32G Wifi Only)Motorola XOOM (32G Wifi Only)
    Price$600500
    RatingAmazon82% (289 Reviews)84% (392 Reviews)
    Bestbuy94% (62 Reviews)84% (113 Reviews)
    GeneralAnnounced2011, March2011, February
    StatusAvailable. Released 2011, MarchAvailable. Released 2011, May
    SizeDimensions241.2 x 185.7 x 8.8 mm249.1 x 167.8 x 12.9 mm
    Weight601 g708 g
    DisplayTypeLED-backlit IPS TFT, capacitive touchscreenTFT capacitive touchscreen
    16M colors16M colors
    Size768 x 1024 pixels, 9.7 inches800 x 1280 pixels, 10.1 inches
    - Multi-touch input method- Multi-touch input method
    - Accelerometer sensor for auto-rotate- Accelerometer sensor for UI auto-rotate
    - Three-axis gyro sensor- Gyroscope and barometer sensors
    - Fingerprint/scratch resistant oleophobic surface
    SoundLoudspeakerYesYes, with stereo speakers
    3.5mm jackYesYes
    MemoryPhonebookPractically unlimited entries and fieldsPractically unlimited entries and fields
    Internal32 GB storage, 512 MB RAM32 GB storage, 1 GB RAM
    Card slotNomicroSD, up to 32GB
    DataWLANWi-Fi 802.11 a/b/g/nWi-Fi 802.11 a/b/g/n, dual-band, Wi-Fi hotspot
    BluetoothYes, v2.1 with A2DP, EDRYes, v2.1 with A2DP, EDR
    USBYes, v2.0Yes, microUSB v2.0
    CameraPrimary0.7 MP, 960 x 720 pixels5 MP, 2592х1944 pixels, autofocus, dual-LED flash
    FeaturesNoGeo-tagging
    VideoYes, 720p@30fpsYes, 720p@30fps
    SecondaryYes, VGAYes, 2 MP
    FeaturesOSiOS 4Android OS, v3.1 (Honeycomb), upgradable to v3.2
    CPU1 GHz dual-core ARM Cortex-A9 proccessorDual-core 1GHz ARM Cortex-A9 proccessor
    PowerVR SGX543MP2 GPU, Apple A5 chipsetULP GeForce GPU, Tegra 2 T20 chipset
    MessagingEmail, Push Email, IMEmail, Push Email, IM
    BrowserHTML (Safari)HTML
    GamesDownloadable, incl. motion-basedYes + downloadable
    ColorsBlack, WhiteBlack
    GPSNoYes, with A-GPS support
    JavaNoYes, via Java MIDP emulator
    - TV-out- HDMI port
    - Digital compass- Digital compass
    - MP4/MP3/WAV/AAC player- MP3/WAV/WMA/AAC+ player
    - Audio/video player- MP4/WMV/H.263/H.264 player
    - Google MapsGoogle Search, Maps, Gmail, YouTube, Google Talk
    - iBooks PDF reader- Document viewer
    - Photo viewer/editor
    - Organizer
    - Adobe Flash Player 10.1
    - Voice memo
    - Predictive text input
    BatteryGeneralStandard battery, Li-Po 6930 mAh (25 Wh)Standard battery, Li-Ion (25 Wh)
    Stand-byUp to 720 hUp to 336 h
    Talk timeUp to 10 hUp to 9 h
    Music playUp to 10 hUp to 80 h
    Video PlayUp to 10 hUp to 10 h
    USB ChargingYesNo
    Human TestsStart-Up27 Sec45 Sec
    Drop70% Screen damage40% Screen damage
    Touch ScreenWonderfulV.Good
    Wifi SpeedLessMuch Faster
    Color AccuracyMuch BetterLess
    Switch AppsLessMuch Faster
    Available AppsMuch Much MoreLess

Last edited: Aug 29, 2011
  2. pbrauer

pbrauer Administrator Staff Member

Tablet / Device:
    HTC Thunderbolt, ViewSonic GTab, Huawei S7, Gentouch 78
    Hard to know what are the subjective measures that are important to you. The iPad offers a very slick, very solid easy to use experience that is stable and just like every other iPad on the market. The main difference between iOS and Android I believe can be summed up like this, my wife recently switched from a Droid Incredible to an iPhone because she really thought it would be better. Now she feels like even though Android took longer to learn, and was more complex, she also had more freedom to do the things she wanted and more control over the device itself. So...now she would love to switch back if she could.

Hope that helps

3. tiht20

tiht20 Member

Tablet / Device:
    MID8024
    pbrauer,
    Thanks, that's really helps me more, cos I'm already preferring Xoom over Ipad-2

Last edited: Aug 29, 2011
  4. calden

calden Member

Tablet / Device:
    Xoom, Nook Color, Asus Tranformer, HTC Flyer
    It's funny when I bought my Xoom I was standing right behind someone who bought an iPad2. As luck would have it I found myself at the same Starbucks about a mile from the cell shop as the guy with the iPad. We both had the same idea of unpacking our new gadgets while drinking our ice coffee blended treats. First me, I opened my box took out the Xoom, opened the little sim compartment put in my 3G chip and turned it on. Prompted with the sim code screen and then the registration screen, whole process from start to finish 4 minutes. I immediately went to the Android Market and started filling my new toy with apps. I then noticed cursing coming from behind me, turned around and saw the guy who had just bought the iPad. iTunes, I need iTunes what the f#$& I just sold my laptop for this. Apparently to get the money to afford his new shiny iPad2 he had to sell his notebook but was ironically unaware that you needed to register the iPad threw a computer that has iTunes, install programs threw a computer that has iTunes, install updates threw a computer that has iTunes, so on and so on, threw a computer that has iTunes. (sorry one more for affect) Anyway I felt bad for the guy and went over to talk about choices, Android choices that is. By the time I finished with why Xoom's are so cool and iPad's aren't speech, I helped the guy pack up his iPad for a prompt return. He then went back to the shop, returned the iPad and got a Xoom. That's my comparison with Apples iPad vs. Motorola's Xoom. The iPad could have a Quantum CPU in it and I still wouldn't touch it because of that damn iTunes. An Android tablet is all all about freedom and choices. Apple tablets are DRM'd up the yin yang, anti choice, no flash, no media codec's, Nazi ruled, crap of a gadget. Apple has become the one thing they always fought against. They've become, "The Man".

[​IMG]

Last edited: Nov 4, 2011
  5. KeepItReal

KeepItReal Member

Tablet / Device:
    Xoom
    Now that iOS5 is out, they have iCloud for Over-the-air updating. Those that have iOS4 must use iTunes tethered to PC to load the new Version, then they are tether free. The iOS5 ability to sync and iPhone info right to your iPad2 is sweet. You can take a picture on your iPhone then it also will appear on iPas2.

That being said, other than the people that read forums, most people don't know how, or are technically challenged to implement these advance features, an d many advanced features that these phones can. They will use Siri.

So, really, you have to weigh what you need to do, and the best platform to do it in. Androids main claim to fame is it highly customizable. Followed by native flash. The 1st Xooms have free upgrade to 4G, and also can increase memory storage, that no other tablet can do (to my knowledge). iAnything is 3G and you are hard wired to storage, so you have a tendancy to up $$$ to the higher storage just in case. The new Xooms have technically almost same specs (dual-core, etc..) but are thinner, lighter, built-in 4G, and now NO SD card slot to increase memory.

Now, go shopping on www.verizonwireless.com and find a Certified Pre-Owned (CPO) for $399. Free upgrade to 4G. WOW! Best price performance anywhere. They are warrantied like new and you can add insurrance to extend manufacturers warrenty to 2 years, and for lost, thief, or damage (including water damage).

Sent from my Xoom using Android Tablet Forum