You choose and I buy. RK2918 or Renesas Cortex-A9

which tablet

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Iwindows

Apr 4, 2011
so being the most undecisive person around and always waiting and waiting its finally time to pull the plug and snap up 2 tabs next week. I've finally narrowed my arduous search down to :

Rena 3, which is Renesas Cortex-A9 based. 7" capactive 16:9 (800x480)
Teclast RK2918 : which is rockchip 7" Capactive 16:9 (1024x600)
or
Cube UG9T same spec as Teclast but with 4:3 (800:600)

http://micdigi.com/2011/05/teclast-t760-rk2918-tablet-pc-leaked-coming-soon/

https://www.chinistore.com/.../139-acheter-tablette-tactile-cube-u9gt-android
- 23-capacitif-multitouch-7-pouces-4-3-800x600-wifi-hdmi.html

Video Review: Rena3 dual core 7
whichever tab gets the most votes I'll buy on monday next week

DJACID

May 7, 2011
The rena3 would be my choice but the build quality on the rockchip is much better,
Performance should be the deciding factor,
Ask the seller for benchmark test...

Iwindows

Apr 4, 2011
why do you think build quality on RK2918 would be better - you mean the pcb or units of a whole?

DJACID

May 7, 2011
Copy and paste the link,

I meant build quality as in appearance,
Have seen the rena3 and didn't like buttons,
The telecast looks better in picture,
The rena3 looks better in black if you can get that colour..

sere83

May 19, 2011
Well personally I'd go with the teclast. Although in theory the Renesas may well register better benchmark scores, it being dual core, the android builds for the RK2918 chipset will almost certainly be better optimized than on the renesas which at this stage is essentially an unknown entity. The renesas being a generic tablet as well will mean no firmware updates and probably very little community support, the build will almost certainly be worst than the teclast too. The Cube has a low res display, I would discount it. I personally would not make the decision so fast as their is a whole slew of RK2918 devices and AMLogic A9 based devices hitting the market as we speak. A few others worth considering...

Ainol Nova 8 - AMLogic Cortex A9 - Andorid 2.2 - 8 Inch 1280x768 capacitive display
Ramos W15 - RK2918 - Android 2.3 - 8 inch 1280x768 capacitive display (could also consider W12 & W18)
Cube U10 - Similar to U9 with higher res capacitive display
Londge MD801 - RK2918 - Android 2.3 - 8 Inch - 1024x768 Capacitive 4:3
Uzone F4 - RK2918 - Android 2.3 - 8 Inch - 1024x768 Capacitive 4:3
Sinor M8 - Samsung SPV210 - Android 2.2 - 8 inch 1024x768 Capacitive 4:3
Wits A81H - TI OMAP3730 1GHz - Andorid 2.3 - 7 inch GPS, 800x480 Capacitive
SmartQ 7 - Not conformed but rumors suggest AMLogic 1024x600.
WIndow - Relasing new rage similar to Cubes range.

Iwindows

Apr 4, 2011
@Sere83 : I've seen the Ainol - but its delayed, I think they are having issues with the screen. Sinor is too expensive but looks good. but I havent seen the other devices. I need to purchase next week really as I promised the kids they could have one before we set of on vacation soon

Iwindows

Apr 4, 2011
@DJACID...mmmm not something else to confuse the matter, looks nice though and the screen looks good. have you played with it?

DJACID

May 7, 2011
Did try it out,
Ran really well, no issues at all with video playback,
Screen was really responsive, running android 2.3,
From what I heard the old issue would be 3d games,
But the ones I tried all ran without a issue,
Only thing I didn't like was the back casing,
But that isnt a big issue,

Compared to the rena3 this with the telechip processor will score 2nd in benchmark,
But it does handle HD video much better then the rena3...
Price point this was cheaper then the rena3 when release but since then the price has gone up....

Also with the rena3 if you can get the 3G model that should be the biggest advantage or with the sim slot...

sere83

May 19, 2011
@Sere83 : I've seen the Ainol - but its delayed, I think they are having issues with the screen. Sinor is too expensive but looks good. but I havent seen the other devices. I need to purchase next week really as I promised the kids they could have one before we set of on vacation soon

Fair play, in that case I would still go Teclast. From what I have read I think the RK2918 will outperfrom the telechips (particularly in flash playback, video playback & 3D games), and already new FW has popped up for the Teclast. Not to mention the higher res display and newer android build over the Renesas. I also really think the Renesas will lack support and FW upgrades and that the RK2918 android builds will be better optimized, apparently the android builds on the earlier RK2818 were actually pretty solid. Hard to give a definitive answer though with such a lack of solid information. The cube may in fact turn out to perform better due to the less pixel dense, lower res display. Personally though I hate the iclone styling.

Chinese review here.........http://bbs.imp3.net/thread-10289548-1-1.html

Iwindows

Apr 4, 2011
@sere83. I think you are right about the RK2918, I think it will have better builds and supported firmwares. And you are correct to says its really a stab in the dark as to which to choose. I read the chinese review and they didnt seem overly impressed with the screen in the teclast - which is surprising. The Screen in the Rena gets decent reviews and it is dual core... maybe in 3 or 4 months it will be well optimised...but who knows.... maybe the kids (er me) will be happy with an ice cream

DJACID

May 7, 2011
From what I have read the rena3 has a great display,
And currently the best wifi performance,
Only there was a issue with sd format,
Which has already been solved with a firmware update,
So looks like there is support for the rena3 already,
Battery life is good,

Not 100% but I think the rena3 might have a mini-pcie slot inside or pin outs ready for future mods

sere83

May 19, 2011
@Iwindows - haha wait 6 monthes & you can get them an icecream sandwich! lol

@DJACID - Interesting....where you getting the info? I know almost nothing of this chipset. Only problem is 800x480 is full of fail. How long was it managing on battery?

UPDATE:

Benchmarks:

Renesas - Quadrant benchmark score of 1220 which is higher than the Galaxy S (850) and just under the Droid X (1250)

Teclast -

29.jpg

Think the RK2918 will almost certainly have better Video/Flash/3D playback though as apparently the renesas has an older GPU - The SGX530 as used in iPhone 3Gs - not a slouch by any means though just a little dated now.

Actually quite a tough decision. Seem very similar actually in terms of performance. And while 1024x768 is preferable, a bad screen is never good even if it's higher res, a lower res good screen would probably be better.

If you wern't in such a hurry I would still wait a bit. For either a better screened RK2918 device or a solid AMLogic A9 device. The GPU on the AMLogic devices is an absolute beast - MALI 400 same as Samsung Exynos used in the Galaxy S II. However, again lacking info as to what the android builds are like on AMLogic chipset. I believe the SmartQ 10 which uses it has a fair few issues.

Last edited:

DJACID

May 7, 2011
the gt-tab does have the higher res screen - The 7
more info - http://www.m8cool.com/pbdn/59407.aspx
the rena3 new firmware update lists mpcie 3g,
review - Roman's Tech Help: RENA3 - Blazing Fast Dual-Core $200 7" Android Tablet Review

video -

i personally only played with it for a hour or 2 while my mate was checking out the 2 tablets he ordered,
but very impressed, the battery only dropped by 1% in that time where as on the gt-tab it dropped by 2%,
the resident evil demo 1080p demo struggle on the rena3, where as on the gt-tab it ran well slight lag when forwarding,
but the 720p smallvile played fine on both device,
i agree with the review in the link, good tablet at a decent price....

Last edited by a moderator: