Your first day, NEWBIE S7 guide

ebarcus

Jan 13, 2011
Here are some quick tips and recommendations to trick out your new S7 because why would you buy something and expect it to work PERFECT off the shelf, right?

NOTE:
Steps should be followed in order to maintain all aspects of modding, Skipping step one will not keep you from being able to ROOT and follow thought with additional steps:

A) Upgrade to Candidate 60 Build 11 (keep you S7 updated with latest software release)
ebarcus-albums-day-one-rooted-s7-born-picture784-loading-build-60-singapore-href-http-www-huaweidevice-com-worldwide-downloadcenter-do-method-downloadfile-flay-software-filename-37891-attachmentname-s7v100r001c60b011-zip-link.jpg

Original thread here :
huawei ideos s7 firmware
My recommendation for this:
Download the Update tool, the driver (drivers for all OS), and Get the Candidate 60 ROM.

1) When trying to put the phone into Update mode make sure the USB and POWER are unplugged.
2) Turn off the device
3) Insert the SD card, should have a folder called <dload> with UPDATA.APP and unlmt.cfg files stored inside
(read the S7 T-touch tab Upgrade Guide located inside the update tools folder if you need more details on this process)
3) HOLD the BACK (arrow under the menu key) and the GREEN CALL button, press power and continue to hold BACK and CALL till the progress bar shows up (grey wont move)
4) Start the update tool, select the UPDATA.APP file and the S70.xml file
5) Next
6) Connect phone to computer with USB
7) Scan & Download
8) Once S7 reboots and gives an OK screen (will see progress bar move thought download and then start over) you can THEN remove battery and SD card
9) Reboot and Enjoy

IDK if anyone has noticed this but I found a handwriting input method in this build, is it included in other builds? (check keyboard input settings)

ebarcus-albums-day-one-rooted-s7-born-picture778-hand-writing-option-b60.jpg

B) Use z4root to "Permanent root" phone (If you still need to know what root is, start elsewhere)

C) Install SETCPU from market, (enjoy 998MHz Overclock) set up profiles for screen off and charging to minimal (for quick charges) and set a profile for temperature so the processor will "down step" if it gets to hot
ebarcus-albums-day-one-rooted-s7-born-picture781-current-setcpu-profiles-will-tweeking-these-new-device-how-profiles-set-up-my-droid-works-well-s7-too.jpg

D) Install BUSYBOX (first thing you should ALWAYS do after root ;) )from the market via BusyBox Installer
ebarcus-albums-day-one-rooted-s7-born-picture783-busy-box-installer-showing-busybox-install-after-root-after-b60-search-market-busybox-installer.jpg

E) Fix the lack of AD-hoc network support (connect to rooted android phone using wireless tether)
1) Get the wpa_supplicant file from THIS LINK 1) unpack it and rename the file wpa_supplicant (take off the _froyo_eap)
2) use a ROOT explorer ( I use Super Manager from the market its free ) enable ROOT in the settings and enable the system folder to be R/W
3) navigate to /system/bin and rename wpa_supplicant to wpa_supplicant.old
4) copy and paste the downloaded wpa_supplicant file into the /system/bin folder
5) turn on an AD-HOC network and connect
(NOTE I used the wpa_supplicant file from my droid 1 because I was having a hard time with the wpa_supplicant file found on this forum before, I've added the link above to test when i flash after I fix a CSC error in the C60 rom)

The only issues I see so far is that using some apps (TIKI touch to talk to be specific) throws an "Invalid Country Code" when trying to use the app (could be that I have never activated the phone, working on a work around)
The Hand writing input also seems to be defaulted to want to do Kanji and english letters are "ok" at best when trying to write instead of just use the keyboard.

Now use Super Manager to make a Full backup :D

Last edited:

goodoane

Nov 25, 2010
Can you modify a little your tutorial.
With this steps to update only with SD card much more easy :
1) Tablet of and fully charged
2) Use SD card fat32 create a folder "dload" put inside UPDATA.APP and unlmt.cfg
3) Insert the SD card, (should have a folder called <dload> with UPDATA.APP and unlmt.cfg files stored inside)
4) Power on the tablet and wait until the update will be finished if you see OK you can remove the batery for a second remove SD card and power on.
5) Enjoy your new tablet.

Last edited:

ebarcus

Jan 13, 2011
1) Tablet of and fully charged
2) Use SD card fat32 create a folder "dload" put inside UPDATA.APP and unlmt.cfg
3) Insert the SD card, (should have a folder called <dload> with UPDATA.APP and unlmt.cfg files stored inside)
4) Power on the tablet and wait until the update will be finished if you see OK you can remove the batery for a second remove SD card and power on.
5) Enjoy your new tablet.

1) I did this with a 15% charged battery from its second charge, HOWEVER it IS recommended that the battery be fully charged whenever flashing. well, it will give you a little more comfort in knowing you can work on a boot loop if you get stuck :p (i was feeling confident and said screw precautions)
2) my SD card was purposefully changed to FAT 16 for this install, Ive read different opinions from different folks on the benefits of each for flashing, take your pick, when its flashing i ususally go with fat 16
3) please note the note "(read the S7 T-touch tab Upgrade Guide located inside the update tools folder if you need more details on this process)" guess i could have made it easy with "before you insert your sd card in your phone you need to make a folder called <dload> on your sd card and put yatta yatta inside" thats pretty basic level, if you are afraid of reading detailed instructions you prob should avoid a root/rom flash. *when i was a kid* (haha sounding like my old man but telling my real life) I couldnt touch a single toy till i read the entire instruction manual, with all these quick start guides n00bs never take the time to read details, where they find REAL answers, not just mash from the spectators
4)looks alot like the steps i already have.

@AvsGrae click the link from A that will take you over to the thread discussing the Candidate. To spew a list of reasons I went with it would only give you insight into my reasoning and understanding. (which is about having the latest build to play with and see what the devs are up to) Keep asking questions in the right threads and youll know if A is for you or not, but if you go to start A youll loose everything you have now *make a backup

pa49

Nov 29, 2010
1) I did this with a 15% charged battery from its second charge, HOWEVER it IS recommended that the battery be fully charged whenever flashing. well, it will give you a little more comfort in knowing you can work on a boot loop if you get stuck :p (i was feeling confident and said screw precautions)
2) my SD card was purposefully changed to FAT 16 for this install, Ive read different opinions from different folks on the benefits of each for flashing, take your pick, when its flashing i ususally go with fat 16
3) please note the note "(read the S7 T-touch tab Upgrade Guide located inside the update tools folder if you need more details on this process)" guess i could have made it easy with "before you insert your sd card in your phone you need to make a folder called <dload> on your sd card and put yatta yatta inside" thats pretty basic level, if you are afraid of reading detailed instructions you prob should avoid a root/rom flash. *when i was a kid* (haha sounding like my old man but telling my real life) I couldnt touch a single toy till i read the entire instruction manual, with all these quick start guides n00bs never take the time to read details, where they find REAL answers, not just mash from the spectators
4)looks alot like the steps i already have.

@AvsGrae click the link from A that will take you over to the thread discussing the Candidate. To spew a list of reasons I went with it would only give you insight into my reasoning and understanding. (which is about having the latest build to play with and see what the devs are up to) Keep asking questions in the right threads and youll know if A is for you or not, but if you go to start A youll loose everything you have now *make a backup
Hi and welcome to the forum
Whilst I commend you for the initial post and the Knowledge imparted, I do think that some of your references could go over a "Newbies" (I hate the word )head. Candidate? ROM? etc.
A quick mention of the android market as a source of apps wouldn't have gone amiss, either.
You use a numer of terms and procedures that could be new to "Newbies" (did I mention that I hate that word?) and all on the first day?
Some will find that a bit of an overload!
Anyone should TAKE THEIR TIME to understand the implications of all this! Read and re-read as much as you can. Become aware of the processes involved and if you feel uncomfortable in any way ask here in the forum!
"i was feeling confident and said screw precautions" troubles me somewhat.
If you don't know what you are doing then don't do it!
Guiding newcomers is a "handholding" service not a cavalier and reckless endeavour.
I've seen too many come unstuck over the years.

ebarcus

Jan 13, 2011
Anyone should TAKE THEIR TIME to understand the implications of all this! Read and re-read as much as you can. Become aware of the processes involved and if you feel uncomfortable in any way ask here in the forum!
"i was feeling confident and said screw precautions" troubles me somewhat.
If you don't know what you are doing then don't do it!
Guiding newcomers is a "handholding" service not a cavalier and reckless endeavour.
I've seen too many come unstuck over the years.

Hellllooooo pa49 ( i actually used you as the "recommended by" section of the registration, your flow and advice in these forums is most admirable compaired to some who like to fly off the handle much more than necessary. haha hope you get some sort of "credit")

IMO, I agree 100% and Im not here to hand hold, im here to escape that, when im on the forums its ususally because im at work... when im at work im either making sure that some high school kid gets caught calling in bomb threats ( i know its weak, i have to take 911 calls, trust me its alot more drama and stress than just bomb threats) OR im asking some Teir 1 employee "And what does it do when it rings?" and having them reply "ring?" then having to ask again, " we are talking about no dial tone here, right? does the phone make a noise, not a buzz or a ding dong but a ring ring?" haha

so real virgin NEWBIES need to use the forums SEARCH function (and expand your damn horizon to google, and every other forum out there) to LEARN terms and process before you go hunting and pecking around. "If you don't know what you are doing then don't do it" is a great phrase to keep the kids away from the candy but im all grab grab grab. Ive had may fair share of needing my hand held while learning new methods and procedures, in this thread I was wanting to layout just that. the method and procedure.

If you do not understand a word in this story or any other, stop and look elsewhere for the answer, sometimes you must go back and read, sometimes the next sentence will contain clues. I was hoping this would become a list of steps I have taken in order to get my phone to "where it is today" so that when/as the phone and my usage continues I/we will always have a great foundation to return to If needing/wanting to go back thought the ropes when new information/rom/customizations become available.

Any NEWBIES out there try the methods mentioned in this thread? I know us "tech heads" are talking alot of schematics, we also are generally good at breaking information down to explain it better too.

side note: newbies... i never really HATED the word but it always has made me think of the Gremlins movie, you think they are all cute and warm, "ohh look their are searching for the light of day, growing, needing, learning" and then you give them a couple drops of the old knowledge and its a storm of "omg what are they doing and can we every get this inline again." I dream of a forum where there is a cure for such grappling :D ha ha I must say this forum (from the many hours just browsing) does look like a very friendly place for new comers