Your thoughts on the ePad 2 Android 2.2 (512MB RAM), 1GHz 10" tablet

ronaldaustin

Mar 18, 2011
I have had my ePad Android 2.2 for about a week now and I have to say for the $219 (with accessories) was a great deal. Yes it did not support flash out of the box but I did get it working, although when going through Adobe's site which states mine was not compatible, on another forum I found a link to the 10.1 apk and it installed without any issues.

I see most people comparing this unit to iPads and the Galaxy, well you have to remember the difference in the cost, you pay for what you get, but for a low price tablet this unit performs well. Plenty of apps available on the market place, I have even used the RDP app and supported some of my clients servers without any issues and with flash I even use Logmein for support.

Sure there are some short comings but again its you get what you pay for, if you have expectations of performing like the iPad or Galaxy then no this is not the unit for you.

feverhost

Super Moderator
Staff member
Nov 26, 2010
ronaldaustin: Have you noticed flash running slow on it?

ronaldaustin

Mar 18, 2011
Ok, did some searching and found a few having the same issue, went out and bought a new Sandisk 8gb card put the update on their and it updated just fine. System seems to run faster but the flash still has it's lags.

alex_485

Mar 24, 2011
Good to know your sorted that. Yes the flash lags but its there first release they are working on it.

droid21

Apr 6, 2011
I see most people comparing this unit to iPads and the Galaxy, well you have to remember the difference in the cost, you pay for what you get, but for a low price tablet this unit performs well. Plenty of apps available on the market place, I have even used the RDP app and supported some of my clients servers without any issues and with flash I even use Logmein for support.

Sure there are some short comings but again its you get what you pay for, if you have expectations of performing like the iPad or Galaxy then no this is not the unit for you.

My thought exactly! I just bought one for $199 on ebay, and was satisfied with it. I only have it for 3 days now, it does what I bought it for: surf web, read Kindle/Nook. Many cool free apps to download from, make it an ideal toy :).

I do want to install Flash so that I can play videos on site like CNN.com etc. Once that's done, I think to me, this is a pretty cool device. Again, you get what you paid for, I'm sure ipad is better, but it also cost a lot more.

Anyone has try to use the EPAD with 3G dongle? My have the 3G EVDO option i suppose that means it is 3G enabled?

Anyway, this is a very helpful forum, thanks to all of you!

qluless

Apr 7, 2011
I just got my tablet from Ebay Click here to see the listing and I've been hacking it like crazy.

I got the flash to work using info from this Wiki considering that the epad doesn't come with a user manual (it's chinese so what can you really expect?) - Wiki Android Manuel

You have to download the file they provide to a comp, use an "Unrar" program to unpack the rar. Rename the flask apk to something simple like flash10.apk and put the apk file on your microSD card. Put the microSD into the tablet and run the OiFileManager. Locate the file on your microSD and run the package installer. It installs and there you have it. If you check the flash out using Skyfire, it runs a bit choppy but still flash none the less! This is perfect because I use my tablet as a portfolio to show my potential investors my website which is fully flashed based.

For the price and shipping, when bought from this particular seller, you are really getting a bang for your buck. Like another poster said, you can't really compare it to the iPad, xoom or galaxy tab, however for what you pay, it's very much worth it to have a tablet that you have complete control over. I've been hacking electronics for years and the fact that I can add just about anything to it using the SD card, is awesome. The Android based OS is way more user friendly and allows so many widgets and personalization options, and I love that I have the convenience of my life at my fingertips. From personal errands to business meetings, when I whip out my tablet, I have everything I need. I highly recommend this particular one because you CAN access the full Android Market. So all in all i give it 4.5 out of 5 because the battery does go kinda quick if you don't pay attention to which apps are running more power than normal. A simple app killer can help you with that.

Hope this helped!:cool:

Chucant

Oct 11, 2010
Qluless...you make my day. I bet you are a very successful person in life and business. Your positive tone and attitude of finding a solution speaks volumes of you and how life should be lived.
Although we will always have challenges with these tablets as with anything in life, our affinity to share good news and effortlessly point people to the right direction is always a virtue. I have ordered one of these ZT tablets. I was considering the cost as well as all the doubtful feedbacks on this our forum. I feel encouraged to buy it because your explanation gives confidence that no matter what the problem may be, someone has the solution. I will come to you with any challenges I might face with my tablet when it comes. I will let everyone know how it runs. we are all one community. Thanks a mil!

trimesh

Nov 8, 2010
After researching a bit it appears this tablet will not run flash, although quite a lot of listings says it does. From what I've read the ZT-180 chipset is not supported by Adobe.. hence no flash.

Can anyone else confirm this?

According to Adobe, the Flash player is only officially supported on devices with at least a Cortex-A8 CPU (Or something else supporting ARM architecture v7, like the SnapDragon) - the CPU in the ZT-180 is a custom labelled version of the IMAPx210 from Shanghai InfoTMIC, and this is an ARM11 device (ARM architecture v6) - so if you want to run code that uses ARMv7 instructions (which I assume that the Flash player does), then they have to be trapped and emulated. This tends to incur a very large performance penalty, and ARM11 has substantially lower performance per clock than the Cortex-A8 does anyway.

I've compared the stock Flash player (downloaded from the market) on my Motorola Milestone (ARM Cortex-A8, 550MHz) with the hacked version on the ZT-180 (ARM11, 1GHz?) - and the one of the milestone runs far quicker. How much of this is implementation is very hard to guess, though - and the ZT-180 also has a screen with 50% more pixels than the milestone, wihch will also tend to slow things down.

I got the flash to work using info from this Wiki considering that the epad doesn't come with a user manual (it's chinese so what can you really expect?) - Wiki Android Manuel

That's what I thought - but then discovered that if you pulled the foam tray out of the box and lifted the cardboard spacer underneath it then there was a manual - and it was in english, too!

Not exactly the most obvious place to put it, though.

Last edited: