Zeam Launcher and Rooted NC ver 1.1.0 (using Autonooter)

JillMcD

Apr 29, 2011
First off - I'll introduce myself. I have been lurking for quite a bit reading all of the information I can get. I work in IT but as an Analyst - not a Developer. I love gadgets and love tweaking things.

I bought my Nook Color in November and first rooted it back in March (using Huskermaina Autonooter video) and added lots of cool apps (including Zeam). But I thought that the B&N 1.2 was going to be WONDERFUL - so I unrooted and restored back to factory - took the update. SIGH. Not Wonderful. Waited patiently for new Autonooter. Then not so patiently. Reading all your posts her and seeing all the pretty picture of people's rooted or custom ROMs.....deciding that at least I would go back to 1.1 and autonooter again.

So i did that - and started re-installing my apps last night....and I can't get Zeam Launcher. There is a much longer version of the story - but the Reader's Digest version is that using the Android Market and App Brain - when I searched for it from my NC - Zeam was never listed. Searched using the web browser on each market's website - search found them immediately. Tried to download from there - Android Market sent it to my Android Phone instead of my NC - and the App Brain had an error that said that Zeam Launcher wasn't compatible with my Android version. Said it required Android 2.2 and my hardware had Android 2.1?

Am I crazy? I'm sure I had it before when it was Autonootered?

The only thing I can think of is that the link from Huskermania's video for people that had NC 1.1.0 linked to a file that said Autonooter 2.?.? (not sure of the numbers) but I found that odd - cause I was SURE that it said Autonooter 3.0 before. But I checked the link several times. So was that the problem?

Sorry for the long post - but I wanted to provide you the details. I have seen often that people ask vague questions and you all always come back with questions to get more information.

Thanks in advance for your insight!

J515OP

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jan 6, 2011
Jill, thanks for all the info the more the better usually. The problem is that Zeam has upgrade and no longer works with the original Nook versions under Android 2.1. If you made any backups before upgrading to B&N 1.2 (Android 2.2) you should be able to restore the Zeam app from there. If not you need to search for the original Zeam apk and then sideload it onto your Nook since the Market versions will not work as you have already discovered.

JP

JillMcD

Apr 29, 2011
Thanks JP! I wondered about that. Thanks for confirming that I'm not crazy. Ok - well I still may be crazy but anyway...

Or - I could just bite the bullet and go with a custom ROM. Now to figure out which one.....hmmmm.....thinking....thinking.....

I actually tried it last weekend using Huskermania's CM7 video and successfully got the new ROM - but something went amiss on loading the Google apps pack - cause there was no App Market or anything. But I'm going to try it again.

One more question - I don't have a "Thanks" button to thank an author of a post. The only icon I have is the triangle with the ! for "Report Post". Any ideas why I wouldn't have the other options?

J515OP

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jan 6, 2011
CM7 is a great choice and worth giving anoterh shot.

From time to time people have trouble with the Thanks button and it usually has to do with the browser they are using or if you are using a forum app.

JillMcD

Apr 29, 2011
So funny - as soon as I asked the question the "Thanks" button showed up. Now that's odd.

JillMcD

Apr 29, 2011
Spider - I've looked through the Manual Nooter instructions - and it's just a little too technical for me to handle yet. I read some of the instructions and I think "Are they even speaking english?" LOL

JillMcD

Apr 29, 2011
Ok Spider - I really think you're overestimating my ability! I can follow video instructions that have click here, save to desktop, drag file here....etc.

I mean - I know I have some abilities because I have autonootered, and restored back to factory and such - so I actually have the Clockwork Mod Recovery for my disk, and I have Zip 7 and Win Disk 32 imager, etc. But I was able to use them because it was step by step.

So let's take a look at these instructions and see my many questions...

NEW INSTRUCTIONS
1) Obtain the image for your SD card size here, containing CWM 3.0.0.5 at time of writing:
Index of /nookdev/clockwork/0.7
(source: [RECOVERY] Monster RootPack 0.7 / Clockwork Recovery 3.0.0.5 SD (1.1 Compatible!) - xda-developers)

I already have this from my many restores....So I assume I don't need to get the file again?

2) Obtain the correct uImage and uRamdisk files for CWM 3.0.2.8. The way I did this was to flash CWM 3.0.2.8 from ROM Manager and then mount my /boot partition to copy out the files uRecImg and uRecRam. But for the benefit of those of you here who can't flash CWM successfully, I've attached the files here.

Okay - well I see from the bottom of that post that there is a Zip file that I can detach. But I don't know what to do with it? Where do I save it to? And what in the world does the second sentence mean?

3) Burn the SD card as instructed. Leave the SD mounted in your computer afterwards.

"As instructed"? where was I instructed? I understand the last sentence. It means leave the SD card in your computer when you get done putting the file on it.

4) Rename your copy of the new uRecImg to uImage and replace the uImage file on the SD.
Rename your copy of the new uRecRam to uRamdisk and replace the uRamdisk file on SD.

Where did I get a copy of uRecImg and uRecRam? Was it on that attachment zip? Do I extract that Zip file and then those files are in there? and then rename the file and copy them to my card? Directory?

5) Eject the SD from your computer, pop it into your Nook Color, reboot and verify that you indeed manage to boot into the new desired version of ClockworkMod. Upon completion I had a bootable 3.0.2.8 SD card.

And how would I know I have the new desired version?

See Spider....I have more QUESTIONs than answers......I just don't think I"m ready. And that's the first five steps....

So tell me - why do you prefer the Rooted versus all the other techy guys around her prefer the Custom ROMS like CM7?

AnimaTechnica

Nov 4, 2010
Jill i would say if you look at the comments around 1.2 vs CM7 you will be much much better off with CM7

J515OP

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jan 6, 2011
Jill i would say if you look at the comments around 1.2 vs CM7 you will be much much better off with CM7

+1 Rooted 1.2 doesn't provide any advantage over CM7 now that the Nook app handles magazines and newspapers.

Spider

Administrator
Staff member
Mar 24, 2011
I already have this from my many restores....So I assume I don't need to get the file again?
If you already have a bootable CWM SD card, put it in your Nook and boot from it. When CWM comes up, the first line will tell you what version it is. If it's less than 3.0.0.5 get a new image and start at step 1. If it's 3.0.0.5, go to step 4.

3. Burn the SD card "As instructed"
Run win32diskimager and tell it where the CWM image is and where your SD card is.

Where did I get a copy of uRecImg and uRecRam? Was it on that attachment zip? Do I extract that Zip file and then those files are in there? and then rename the file and copy them to my card? Directory?
Yes, Yes, Yes, Yes, Root Directory (Find the uImage and uRamdisk created by flashing the CWM image and replace them with the ones from the Zip file.)

From there it gets easier. I went with the ManualNooter because it gave me everything I was looking for:

• Permanently Enables ADB via uRamdisk
  • Installs adbWireless
  • Installs su and Superuser.apk
  • Installs Busybox
  • Installs Softkeys 3.0.6
  • Installs zeam Launcher
  • Installs NookColor Tools (To Enable Non-Market Installs)
  • Installs Gapps (Gmail, Market, Youtube, Others)
  • Enable Multi-touch for Android Apps
Also, I can easily go back to stock if I need warranty work or another update comes along.

J515OP

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jan 6, 2011
For the record, there is nothing wrong with liking or using rooted 1.2 and it is just as easy to restore back to stock form CM7 or any other ROM as it is from a rooted stock ROM so don't let that worry you (especially if you have made a nandoroid of a stock setup with your bootable CWR SD card).

JP

JillMcD

Apr 29, 2011
Ha Ha Ha Speak English JP!!

I understand the individual words, it's just when you put them together I get lost!

Spider

Administrator
Staff member
Mar 24, 2011
JP,
I agree. Ultimately comes down to personal preference and what you feel comfortable with. I tried the CM7 on a SD card thing and I didn't care for it whereas I feel very comfortable with the ManualNoot. For now, I don't need any more than the "Noot" can provide. Maybe someday I'll want to do more, but right now I'm where I want to be. (This is my first Android device of any kind and it's less than two weeks old, so I'm still learning to walk before I start to run.)