ZEKI Installing to external sdcard card

johngoodin

Jun 13, 2012
Seems the ZEKI family of tablets doesn't allow installing a app to the external sdcard. Is there any way to allow for this as an option? Moving a app and it's data only moves from the phone partition to the internal sdcard partition. I already get errors I'm running out of space. Thankfully the new version of the OSMAND offline mapping software offered the option to save offline mapping data to the external sdcard and that in itself saved a whole bunch. The MapsWithMe Pro even offered to move my existing map data to the external sdcard.

Are there any apps or extensions I can patch in that will offer the external sdcard as a possible install point? Better yet offer to safely move already installed apps their data to the external sdcard. Having a 32Gig card installed and not really being able to use it to its fullest extent is a real bummer...

johngoodin

Jun 13, 2012
Seems I may have come across the answer in an app named "Directory Bind". While it doesn't actually allow moving the app itself it does move the apps data from the internal sdcard to the external sdcard, saving tons of valuable space. Seems this problem is not limited to our ZEKI family of tablets as a lot of other phones and tablets don't allow installing apps and data to the external cards.Some even claim their devices storage areas not being so packed helps them run faster. Just you can't move data of system apps only apps you have downloaded. The only downside folks running it is some of the more involved more complex games can run a little chunky sometimes.

I googled directory bind howto and other such searches and came across more than quite few youtube's on it. Would be great to run more complex apps and games on our ZEKI's and not have to worry about running out of storage space. Perhaps Linux, and Android systems are more like Windows PC's in this. Either systems works all that well them they start running low on free space.

Hope "Directory Bind" helps you run richer apps and better apps.

johngoodin

Jun 13, 2012
I located another app that claims it will move the apps and data also.

It may just be able to do that since it displays mount & unmount controls in the screenshots I've seen so far. It talks a lot about games and says it has ways you can test the moved apps inside the program. That suggests it can move the apps and data back before you really commit to the changes.

Anyone looking at any apps in this post please leave comments on your experiences both good and bad.