Zenithink c97 Update Problems, How to Root

rwpirani

Jan 15, 2013
I'm trying to update my Zenithink c97. I put the update files in a, per zenithink instructions, zt-update folder on a SD card. When I boot the tablet with the vol+ and power button, it goes by the update screen and boots to normal desktop. What am I doing wrong?
Plus, I also want to root the c97 tablet. Please show me the way?

omarahum

Developer
Mar 4, 2013
Which ROM are you trying to flash? The 0910 4.0.3 ICS ROM? - The 0927 4.1.1 JB? The 1214 4.1.1 JB?

Is your sdcard formatted to FAT32, and with no other partitions on it? Have you done a full format of your sdcard to FAT32 (not quick)?

Instructions as per Zenithink:
Using TF card

• First extract the firmware which you get or download, then copy the whole "zt-update" directory into the root directory of TF card.
  • Put the TF card into TF card slot, then press the "Volume Plus" button at the same time to press the power-on button, then operate as per the reminders shown on the screen, the machine will be installed the firmware and then reboot.
Note: keep charged when the machine is being installed the firmware.

If you like the stock JB ROM, I suggest you try this modified version from Pas on SlateDroid - [ROM] Zenithink's Official 20120927 Jelly Bean 4.1.1 Beta ROM - SlateDroid.com - Page 3

You could also try Christian Troy's CM 10.1, AOKP, or PA JellyBean 4.2.2 ROMs that are posted on SlateDroid:
[rom] CyanogenMod 10.1 - AOKP 4.2 compatibility zips for various Zenithink Amlogic 8726-MX devices - SlateDroid.com
ParanoidAndroid 3+ compatibility zip for Zenithink C97 / C93 - SlateDroid.com

I'm using a slightly modified stock ICS ROM on my C97 and CT's CM 10.1 on my C93 (1f)....

All the custom/modified ROMs are pre-rooted.....

If you want to root the stock JB ROM, you need to: Use 7zip to open up (do not untar/unzip) the system.zt280.tar.bz file, delete Superuser.apk from the /app folder and the su binary from the /bin folder.... Then add the system.patch.zt280.tar.bz that I made that has the SuperSU app and binary to the zt-update folder -system.patch.zt280.tar.bz And flash your tablet with all the ROM files (with the edited system.zt280.tar.bz file and the system.patch.zt280.tar.bz file I made included)....

Last edited:

rwpirani

Jan 15, 2013
My C97 came with JB 4.1.1 and not rooted. The problem I am having with it is 1)t won't let me move apps to the internal SD and 2) incompatibility issue with a lot of apps. So I've liked ICS on other tablets. So. I would like to try putting rooted ICS on the C97. The 'slightly modified stock ICS ROM' that you have on your C97 would work. So, a links to the files needed to put ICS on my C97 and some instructions would be great. I'm a experienced PC guy and still learning android. I just did a full Fat32 format of a 16gb microSD on my Dell Win7 desktop. I ready to try going back to ICS. I am so thankful for your time and of course your assistance.

omarahum

Developer
Mar 4, 2013
My C97 came with JB 4.1.1 and not rooted. The problem I am having with it is 1)t won't let me move apps to the internal SD and 2) incompatibility issue with a lot of apps. So I've liked ICS on other tablets. So. I would like to try putting rooted ICS on the C97. The 'slightly modified stock ICS ROM' that you have on your C97 would work. So, a links to the files needed to put ICS on my C97 and some instructions would be great. I'm a experienced PC guy and still learning android. I just did a full Fat32 format of a 16gb microSD on my Dell Win7 desktop. I ready to try going back to ICS. I am so thankful for your time and of course your assistance.
Download and unzip this: C97_ICS_0910_omarahum_modified_Zenithink_ROM_updatedNov9th2012.zip

Download and rename this: C97.system.patch.zt280.tar.bz to just system.patch.zt280.tar.bz (remove the C97. from the front of the filename.) This has the G sensor update for games with tilt function like Temple Run... Place it in the zt-update folder that was unzipped from the first download.

Copy the zt-update folder to your FAT32 formatted sdcard, place the sdcard in your tablet while it's off, and then press and hold the Vol+ button while you press the power button to turn it on, release both once the tablet turns on and goes into sdcard flashing mode. Press the Vol+ key to accept to flash the spl, then the rest should be automatic... (It's just like flashing a stock Zenithink ROM.)
Using TF card

• First extract the firmware which you get or download, then copy the whole "zt-update" directory into the root directory of TF card.
  • Put the TF card into TF card slot, then press the "Volume Plus" button at the same time to press the power-on button, then operate as per the reminders shown on the screen, the machine will be installed the firmware and then reboot.
Note: keep charged when the machine is being installed the firmware.
(From: http://www.zenithink.com/Eproducts_C97.php?download)
If some apps you want to use don't work correctly, I suggest you try CT's CM10.1 ROM.... http://www.slatedroid.com/topic/762...or-various-zenithink-amlogic-8726-mx-devices/

Last edited:

rwpirani

Jan 15, 2013
Wow, the ICS switch over went smooth, thanks. Now I have more app control and no conflicts. I got this C97 for the soul purpose to learn on. I don't see the rooting benefits yet. But, I am still learning. Suggestions? Next, I'll want to try the CM10.1 Rom you also suggested. Any tips on it? Anyway, thank you again for your assistance and patience with this android novice.

omarahum

Developer
Mar 4, 2013
Wow, the ICS switch over went smooth, thanks. Now I have more app control and no conflicts. I got this C97 for the soul purpose to learn on. I don't see the rooting benefits yet. But, I am still learning. Suggestions? Next, I'll want to try the CM10.1 Rom you also suggested. Any tips on it? Anyway, thank you again for your assistance and patience with this android novice.
Glad it went well....

Well rooting is for when you want to change some system settings or files, like to edit the build.prop file or something, I already modified everything to my liking, but you may want to change something if you want to stay with that ROM...

Zenithink never perfected the ICS kernel they made, so there are a lot of things that may not work well on my ICS ROM, that's why I suggested Christian Troy's CM 10.1 ROM, he keeps everything updated (usually comes out with an update every two weeks, but usually more often than that) and it's JellyBean 4.2.2.... The two things I don't like about CM10.1 is you can't take pictures with the camera, and flash videos in the stock browser don't scale down into things like embedded youtube videos, they play fullscreen, otherwise everything else works great....

rwpirani

Jan 15, 2013
I've been working with storage on the ICS I just installed. When I go to move an app to the sd, it looks to move it to the external sd. I get a "not enough space" type message if I try to move a movable app to the sd, with the external sd card removed. This c97, w/ 8gb of storage, with @2gb for the OS, has @6gb of internal sd space available. Is there a way to make the apps move to the internal storage or sd, instead of the external sd card? Any assistance is greatly appreciated.

omarahum

Developer
Mar 4, 2013
I've been working with storage on the ICS I just installed. When I go to move an app to the sd, it looks to move it to the external sd. I get a "not enough space" type message if I try to move a movable app to the sd, with the external sd card removed. This c97, w/ 8gb of storage, with @2gb for the OS, has @6gb of internal sd space available. Is there a way to make the apps move to the internal storage or sd, instead of the external sd card? Any assistance is greatly appreciated.
Well with my ICS ROM, I doubled the data partition from 1GB to 2GB, so you should have enough space there for all of your apps....

omarahum

Developer
Mar 4, 2013
PS - I also have uploaded a doubled data partition for CT's CM10.1 (0303 kernel/recovery).... And with CT's CM 10.1 ROM (JellyBean 4.2.2), you can switch the internal storage and real sdcard with a build.prop edit (one gets assigned to sdcard0 the other sdcard1)....

rwpirani

Jan 15, 2013
Hello there,
Would mind giving me a link to the "CT's CM10.1 (0303 kernel/recovery)" JB4.2.2 you mentioned. I would like to try it. Being I am still new a this, could you give me some tips on it. After this, I'll try not to be such a bother. But, this has really been a learning experience. Thank you so much for steering me in the right direction.

omarahum

Developer
Mar 4, 2013
Hello there,
Would mind giving me a link to the "CT's CM10.1 (0303 kernel/recovery)" JB4.2.2 you mentioned. I would like to try it. Being I am still new a this, could you give me some tips on it. After this, I'll try not to be such a bother. But, this has really been a learning experience. Thank you so much for steering me in the right direction.
[rom] CyanogenMod 10.1 - AOKP 4.2 compatibility zips for various Zenithink Amlogic 8726-MX devices - SlateDroid.com

rwpirani

Jan 15, 2013
Many thanks! I'll try to follow Mr Troy's instructions. Any tips or suggestions to this sometimes confused but learning novice?

omarahum

Developer
Mar 4, 2013
Many thanks! I'll try to follow Mr Troy's instructions. Any tips or suggestions to this sometimes confused but learning novice?
No tips really, just follow his instructions on deleting with TWRP recovery ("Wipe" menu erase "Android secure"), then flashing his zips in the proper order (factory reset, ROM, Gapps, Compatibility).....

If you want the 2GB data partition mod, you will need to replace the ZT283.kernel and ZT283.recovery (in the zt-update folder from the Common download) with these I made: MediaFire 0303_CM10.1_I1_2a_2GBData_untested Folder

I see you registered on SlateDroid, I'll approve you there once you post something....

Last edited:

rwpirani

Jan 15, 2013
Hi,
Thanks for you help! I'm trying to set this up. I think I downloaded everything. I followed mr Troy's link and downloaded the elfII(?) TWRP and your 2gb data change. I will put ulmage_recovery in the root of the SD. I have to unrar the common and replace your two 2gb data file yet. Then put it in the zt-update folder on a SD. Then put the rom, gapps, and the compatibility on the SD. Then I think I will be ready to go. Am I on the right track?

Got it done! All went well!! Thanks so much!

Last edited:

omarahum

Developer
Mar 4, 2013
Hi,
Thanks for you help! I'm trying to set this up. I think I downloaded everything. I followed mr Troy's link and downloaded the elfII(?) TWRP and your 2gb data change. I will put ulmage_recovery in the root of the SD. I have to unrar the common and replace your two 2gb data file yet. Then put it in the zt-update folder on a SD. Then put the rom, gapps, and the compatibility on the SD. Then I think I will be ready to go. Am I on the right track? In your note above on following proper flash order, what do you mean by 'factory reset'? Thanks again!
Close..... You should be using the TWRP recovery for the C97 (ZT283.recovery) that's in the C97 common download (Common 2013-03-03), which if you want a 2Gb data partition, you should have switched with the ones I modified... The C97 doesn't have a ulmage_recovery....

The only files you should be using from the elfII thread are the ROM download - https://mega.co.nz/#!og5V1TwC!dkNr1bmihOanziYLtF1tI7rwyxJczdCp4dVivoRuZV0 and Gapps download - gapps-jb-20130301-amlogic.zip

ROM's official threads (where you can download latest ROM, usually built every 15 days, and the GAPPS):
* CyanogenMod 10
* AOKP 4.2

Zenithink C97
* Unrar the "common" rar file and put "zt-update" folder to the root of a microsd.
* Copy rom, gapps and compatibility zip files to the microsd as well.
* Turn on the tablet keeping pressed VOL+ and POWER and you'll boot to TWRP recovery.
* If this is your first install flash this file that will format /system, /data and /cache partitions and from "Wipe" menu erase "Android secure".
* Flash rom, gapps and the required compatibility zip.
* Now select "Reboot system now".
* Enjoy CyanogenMod 10.1 / AOKP 4.2

Common 2013-03-03
Compatibility zip 1.0

Zenithink C93 1F
* Unrar the "common" rar file and put "zt-update" folder to the root of a microsd.
* Copy rom, gapps and compatibility zip files to the microsd as well.
* Turn on the tablet keeping pressed BACK and POWER. Press VOL+ to confirm and you'll boot to TWRP recovery.
* If this is your first install flash
this file that will format /system, /data and /cache partitions and from "Wipe" menu erase "Android secure".

Common 2013-03-03
Compatibility zip 1.0

Zenithink C93 2F
* Flash
this stock ROM.
* Create a folder named "zt-update" in your microsd and unzip there the
recovery.img file
* Turn on the tablet keeping pressed BACK and POWER. Press VOL+ to confirm and you'll boot to TWRP recovery.
* If this is your first install flash
this file that will format /system, /data and /cache partitions and from "Wipe" menu erase "Android secure".

Compatibility zip 1.0.1

Zenithink C71A
Coming soon...

Zenithink C71L
Coming soon...
The factory-reset.zip is the this file from his instructions (first install) on how to install his ROM, which is the first zip you should flash.....

The Compatibility zip 1.0 is the last zip you should flash....