Zenithink c97 Update Problems, How to Root

omarahum

Developer
Mar 4, 2013
Hi,
Got it done! All went well!! Thanks so much!
Congrats!
clap-animated-animation-clap-smiley.gif
Can't wait to hear your thoughts on it....
thinking-idea-animated-animation-smiley-emoticon-000339-large.gif

giggle-animated-animation-giggle-smiley-emoticon-000389-design.gif

rwpirani

Jan 15, 2013
I used the TWRP link from Mr Troys site; there wasn't a c97 listed. I used the elfII because the name match the rom. I did not know to use the ZT283.recovery; novice you know. I'll put a copy of zt283.recovery in the root of the SD and give it another shoot. Like I said, I here to learn. It appears to be running OK and I did install per your install order. I retry, just because I can.
I'm always open to suggestions.
Thanks a bunch!

omarahum

Developer
Mar 4, 2013
I used the TWRP link from Mr Troys site; there wasn't a c97 listed. I used the elfII because the name match the rom. I did not know to use the ZT283.recovery; novice you know. I'll put a copy of zt283.recovery in the root of the SD and give it another shoot. Like I said, I here to learn. It appears to be running OK and I did install per your install order. I retry, just because I can.
I'm always open to suggestions.
Thanks a bunch!
The ZT283.recovery needs to be in the zt-update folder for the tablet to find it and flash it, which should be in the Common download for the C97 (Common 2013-03-03).... Again, if you want the 2GB data modification, replace the ZT283.recovery and the ZT283.kernel with the ones from my mediafire folder - https://www.mediafire.com/folder/glrorj5bpm126/0303_CM10.1_I1_2a_2GBData_untested

If you didn't have a ZT283.kernel in your zt-update folder, the kernel didn't get updated.... Since you were able to flash with TWRP, I am guessing you did have the correct files in the correct place, and the tablet probably just ignored the elf2 TWRP, since your touchscreen worked with TWRP....

The ROM for the elf2 is specifically for the elf2, the compatibility zip for the C97 replaces those files which are different between the elf2 and C97 (display, sound, touchscreen, wifi, etc.)....

rwpirani

Jan 15, 2013
I already had swapped your two 2gb data files in the zt-update folder before I did all the installs. So, if the c97 did not use the image_recovery and used the zt283.recovery in the zt-update folder, the upgrade may have went through correctly. And that's why it's working properly. Therefore, there is nothing I need to do. Now that would be pure dumb luck!

omarahum

Developer
Mar 4, 2013
I already had swapped your two 2gb data files in the zt-update folder before I did all the installs. So, if the c97 did not use the image_recovery and used the zt283.recovery in the zt-update folder, the upgrade may have went through correctly. And that's why it's working properly. Therefore, there is nothing I need to do. Now that would be pure dumb luck!
shades-animated-animation-shades-smiley-emoticon-000387-large.gif

You may need to edit your /system/build.prop for the camera rotation to be correct:
http://www.slatedroid.com/topic/762...26-mx-devices/page__view__findpost__p__908513

You need to add these lines:
ro.camera.orientation.front=0/90/180/270
ro.camera.orientation.back=
0/90/180/270
and use the values that makes the orientation correct.....
i.e. -
ro.camera.orientation.front=0
ro.camera.orientation.back=180

Last edited:

rwpirani

Jan 15, 2013
I tested the front and back camera a bit, and the images appears to be rotating ok. But, I'll make those changes anyway. Thanks

rwpirani

Jan 15, 2013
Once I adjusted the root access, I added the ro.camera ....line for the Front and saved it. The line for back was already there. One last question and end this. Mr Christian Troy will continue to upgrade his file(s). How install his upgrade to my c97 without starting from scratch and redoing the whole thing?
My C97 is running better than ever. It's been a pleasure learning all this. Things has really changed since I took my first fortran class with keypunch cards in the late 60's at SIU. Thanks, so much

omarahum

Developer
Mar 4, 2013
Once I adjusted the root access, I added the ro.camera ....line for the Front and saved it. The line for back was already there. One last question and end this. Mr Christian Troy will continue to upgrade his file(s). How install his upgrade to my c97 without starting from scratch and redoing the whole thing?
My C97 is running better than ever. It's been a pleasure learning all this. Things has really changed since I took my first fortran class with keypunch cards in the late 60's at SIU. Thanks, so much
Usually the ROM file gets updated every other week (the elf2 thread), or sometimes sooner.... As long as it's an update for the same version OS (ie. CM10.1 JB 4.2.2), you can try just flashing the ROM, Gapps, and Compatibility and not the factory reset or wiping any partitions (may be a good idea just to wipe the dalvik-cache).... You could also make a backup using TWRP.... Not sure if or when he'll update the kernel, if he does, I would need to make a 2GB data mod to it....

Glad to see you're enjoying the tablet....

omarahum

Developer
Mar 4, 2013
USB CSR BT dongles now working with Christian Troy's 4.2.2 ROMs - [rom] CyanogenMod 10.1 - AOKP 4.2 compatibility zips for various Zenithink Amlogic 8726-MX devices - SlateDroid.com

Quote from CT:
The awesome Ricardo Cerqueira has integrated USB bluetooth support in the new stack using libusb, a very clever solution; I'd never thought about it
sad.gif

Since yesterday I spent lot of time trying to make it work, enabling some debug stuff into libusb and bt code to see why it was failing, at the end I managed to make it work and I've added an helper application that will set the correct permissions when a recognised dongle is plugged in.

I've added it to the FAQs and I won't include it in regular builds:

* If you wanna use a USB bluetooth device flash this zip after each rom update (flash it after the comp zip, practically as last file). It supports only CSR devices, they can be identified typing "lsusb" from an app like "terminal emulator": the supported device will be present with an entry like "Bus 001 Device 002: ID 0a12:0001" ("0a12:0001" is the supported VID:pID). Do not boot with the bluetooth plugged in; plug it once you booted to android.

I tried it and it's working, IMHO the older stack was behaving better with btusb but at least it's better than nothing.

Just some hints... if for some reason your BT dongle that was working doesn't work anymore open up terminal emulator and as root type "bt-reset" and reboot (remember to unplug the dongle).

As explained in the OP only that dongle is supported, if you have another one that was working with CM10 (but not an atherok ath3k device!) post me the result of "lsusb" and I'll white list it to see if it will work with this new stack too.

PS: I've tested it on an Aurora2 running the 3.0.50 kernel and a C97, it worked on both.

Edit: Just confirming, it's working with my C93 1f on CM10.1 (0303 kernel/0712 ROM)....
yahoo.gif

Last edited:

omarahum

Developer
Mar 4, 2013
I also want to root the c97 tablet. Please show me the way?
http://www.androidtablets.net/forum...-c97-update-problems-how-root.html#post287777
Which ROM are you trying to flash? The 0910 4.0.3 ICS ROM? - The 0927 4.1.1 JB? The 1214 4.1.1 JB?

Is your sdcard formatted to FAT32, and with no other partitions on it? Have you done a full format of your sdcard to FAT32 (not quick)?

Instructions as per Zenithink:

If you like the stock JB ROM, I suggest you try this modified version from Pas on SlateDroid - [ROM] Zenithink's Official 20120927 Jelly Bean 4.1.1 Beta ROM - SlateDroid.com - Page 3

You could also try Christian Troy's CM 10.1, AOKP, or PA JellyBean 4.2.2 ROMs that are posted on SlateDroid:
[rom] CyanogenMod 10.1 - AOKP 4.2 compatibility zips for various Zenithink Amlogic 8726-MX devices - SlateDroid.com
ParanoidAndroid 3+ compatibility zip for Zenithink C97 / C93 - SlateDroid.com

I'm using a slightly modified stock ICS ROM on my C97 and CT's CM 10.1 on my C93 (1f)....

All the custom/modified ROMs are pre-rooted.....

If you want to root the stock JB ROM, you need to: Use 7zip to open up (do not untar/unzip) the system.zt280.tar.bz file, delete Superuser.apk from the /app folder and the su binary from the /bin folder.... Then add the system.patch.zt280.tar.bz that I made that has the SuperSU app and binary to the zt-update folder -system.patch.zt280.tar.bz And flash your tablet with all the ROM files (with the edited system.zt280.tar.bz file and the system.patch.zt280.tar.bz file I made included)....

Castrigan25

Aug 8, 2013
I'm trying to download some apps on my new Zenithink C9.7 that runs on 4.1.1.....the problem I'm having is on some apps it says can't download on USB or ad card. I put a 4gb micro sd card in. Do I need to update the unit?? If so how?

rwpirani

Jan 15, 2013
Christian Troy hasn't had an update lately. Is android 4.3 in the works? Thanks.