ZT180 Update with 512MB RAM, Camera, HDMI

zarathustra

Feb 5, 2011
ZT180 2.2 512 mb.

This is the cheapest POS I have ever wasted money on.
I could see if it just felt cheap..which it does. It also is so lagy and glitchy I stopped using it 3 days after I got it. Is this a plastic screen? No volume rocker..battery may last 1 hour on low light. The screen...if you aren't looking at it straight on..its black...tilt it foward a tad when watching a video and forget it. You have to essentially smash the screen for it to recognize.
Honestly...I have spent more time looking for tweaks for this thing to improve performance than using it. Hence why im here. I threw 200 bucks in the toilet. My kid wont even play with it because the scribble application is so laggy it freaks him out. Wont charge via usb? 4gb onboard space is really like 2 with the os and apps. 2 gigs what can I put on that....oh yeah get a micro sd card.....no thanks...not sinking any money into this. It locked up trying to open a picture from a usb drive several times. In fact I haven't been able to view any photos on it yet.

I got mine from china grabber dot com and it took 4 weeks. You can imagine my dissapointment. Im ebarassed to show my buddies.

Android assist tells the story on this pos. Honestly, this device is good for one thing, watching youtube video for my 3 year old son. Beyond that its just horrible. I cant state enough what a waste of money this thing is.

In the end this product will turn more people into apple lovers because this device can't pull off the os it trying to run in a confident maner.

Last edited:

Synaptix

Jan 15, 2011
I got my zt-180 w 512 mb and android 2.2

It took two weeks to come from TenQ in Hong Kong to Calgary, but I suspect a large part of that was the typically slow Canadian customs and post.

I haven't done any video with it, but that's not what I use small computers for anyway. It does run Android 2.2 and does access Android Market right out of the box. I could download and install the apps I wanted easily. The battery lasts about 2.5 hours under continuous use. This of course will depend upon the brightness the screen is set at. Wifi is OK, but not any better than my Coby 7015. (Some of my subnetbooks, such as the Asus eeePC91T, get much better reception at greater distances.) But the Zenithink usable throughout the house.

I installed ADW Launcher EX and and Thumb Keyboard on it (from AndroidPit) and it is a pleasure to work with like that.

A 10 inch tablet is not the sort of thing I want to take with me as I go around the city. I'll use my 7" Coby for that. That being said, I like the larger screen for writing and doing engineering type drawings in a comfortable manner.

People's experiences vary, but I like mine. It was inexepnsive and I'll have fun with it until the new Honeycombs come out.

trimesh

Nov 8, 2010
This looks about right. This is the ZT180 v2 then I see. Thanks for the info.

First gen has 180MB free or something like that. So it is supposed to have something closer to 440MB. They decided to shelve 100MB of that RAM somewhere I guess...

This lack of RAM shows a poor job in optimizing the available RAM to be used by Android. My Acer Liquid E shows 400MB, but only because the radio allocates a lot of it.

This is a guess, but the amount of "missing" memory is suspiciously close to 96MB - which happens to be the recommended size for a set of HDMI buffers. This would also make sense of the fact that they didn't implement HDMI on the earlier version despite the fact that the silicon obviously supports it (since it's the same chip) - it would have left the system without enough memory to operate.

knoxdak

Mar 8, 2011
I just bought my first android tablet, an ePad (ZT-180). Here are the particulars:
Display: 10" LED touchscreen, 1024x600 pixels
Processor: Arm ZT-180 1.0GHz, 512MB RAM DDR II
Storage: 4GB Flash NAND, Solid-State Storage Device-embedded
Software: Google Android 2.2
Wireless: 802.11b/g/n
Battery: Li-ion

Somehow, I believe I have corrupted the operating system. When I turn it on, all I get is a line of text in the middle of the screen (on the left) with the name "Android" and a blinking cursor.

So my question is: How do I reinstall the operating system? I have viewed several web pages with instructions on how to do this, but they are all poorly translated from Chinese/Japanese and nearly impossible to follow. Does anyone know what I can do to restore this device to it's original state with Android 2.2?

Please help...

knoxdak

Mar 8, 2011
:(I just bought the same thing on eBay, and I felt the same way. Laggy and cheap! And to make it even better, mine CRASHED after only a few days! Now I'm trying to get ENGLISH instructions on how to re-image it. All instructions I've found are terrible translations from Japanese or Chinese and IMPOSSIBLE to follow. Plus, most instructions point you to web pages for necessary files to rebuild the software. And when you go to the linked page to get the software, SURPRISE... It's written in Japanese!

What a disappointment! Spend the extra money and go with a known name like Samsung or Motorola. I wish I did!

Salmch21

Mar 23, 2011
For those looking to buy the new ZT-180 2.2 android its available online on Sears

I purchased one from the Sears website and it was a week late. Then I decided to return it due to the fact that the speakers are crap and it was a huge hassle. We spoke to Sears and they gave us the number to Surplus Electronics (who sells the product on sears website) and it went straight to voicemail. We tried several attempts to reach them and we got the same voicemail time and time again. So we contacted sears again and we made a formal complaint they said it would take 5-7 business days. We waited and nothing happened. Then sears told us to email them we did and waited another 5-7 business days with no response. So here we are talking to sears again made another formal complaint, 5-7 more business days and NOTHING. We call again to make another complaint (it takes 3 formal complaints before they will do anything). The lady we get says the first guy we talked to never made the complaint. So I searched out the Vice President of Off-Mall Purchasing at Sears and emailed him. Someone called and the CEO read my email and they finally after 4 days got me a refund and I get to keep the tablet. So I would suggest not purchasing off of the Sears website it took over a month to get this resolved. :mad:

androidworld

Mar 4, 2011
Hi

I just bought an epad from china with 512 mb ram and 4 gb flash, but i am not sure where i can se it has those 512 mb ram, the supplier says it has 512 mb ram but i have to physically open the epad to see it. I have runned several system info programs, but can not se whether it has those 512 mb ram and 4 gb nan flash. Can anybody from log below tell me whether they have sent me 256 mb ram version (which suspect them for) or 512 mb ram.
the log has been Created with "Quick System Info PRO"

Device Info
Device zt180
Model SDP Generic
Board unknown
Product zt180
Brand generic
Manufacturer ZT
CPU+ABI armeabi
Bootloader unknown
Radio unknown
Hardware imapx200
Release AOSP
SDK 8
Type eng
Build zt180-eng AOSP OPENMASTER eng.root.20101231.100240 test-keys
Locale da_DK

System Version
Linux version 2.6.32.9 (root@android) (gcc version 4.3.3 (GCC) ) #2616 Mon Jan 10 20:29:01 CST 2011

Basic Info
SD card storage Total: 2,37 Gb, Free: 2,36 Gb
A2SD storage Information not available
Internal storage Total: 721 Mb, Free: 615 Mb
System storage Total: 236 Mb, Free: 101 Mb
System cache Total: 118 Mb, Free: 104 Mb
Memory Total: 375 Mb, Free: 204 Mb, Idle: 79,18 Mb
Processor ARMv6-compatible processor rev 5 (v6l) 1005.97MHz
Network 192.168.2.191

Scaling CPU frequency state not found.

Processor : ARMv6-compatible processor rev 5 (v6l)
BogoMIPS : 1005.97
Features : swp half thumb fastmult vfp edsp java
CPU implementer : 0x41
CPU architecture: 6TEJ
CPU variant : 0x1
CPU part : 0xb36
CPU revision : 5
Hardware : IMAPX200
Revision : 0000
Serial : 0000000000000000

MemTotal: 383632 kB
MemFree: 81208 kB
Buffers: 10936 kB
Cached: 128072 kB
SwapCached: 0 kB
Active: 170396 kB
Inactive: 86000 kB
Active(anon): 127692 kB
Inactive(anon): 0 kB
Active(file): 42704 kB
Inactive(file): 86000 kB
Unevictable: 0 kB
Mlocked: 0 kB
HighTotal: 0 kB
HighFree: 0 kB
LowTotal: 383632 kB
LowFree: 81208 kB
SwapTotal: 0 kB
SwapFree: 0 kB
Dirty: 0 kB
Writeback: 0 kB
AnonPages: 114988 kB
Mapped: 65444 kB
Shmem: 10304 kB
Slab: 7452 kB
SReclaimable: 3772 kB
SUnreclaim: 3680 kB
KernelStack: 2920 kB
PageTables: 9680 kB
NFS_Unstable: 0 kB
Bounce: 0 kB
WritebackTmp: 0 kB
CommitLimit: 191816 kB
Committed_AS: 4556540 kB
VmallocTotal: 382976 kB
VmallocUsed: 140344 kB
VmallocChunk: 209740 kB

rootfs / rootfs ro,relatime 0 0
tmpfs /dev tmpfs rw,relatime,mode=755 0 0
devpts /dev/pts devpts rw,relatime,mode=600 0 0
proc /proc proc rw,relatime 0 0
sysfs /sys sysfs rw,relatime 0 0
tmpfs /mnt/asec tmpfs rw,relatime,mode=755,gid=1000 0 0
/dev/block/mmcblk1p1 /system ext2 ro,relatime,errors=continue 0 0
/dev/block/mmcblk1p2 /data ext3 rw,nosuid,nodev,noatime,errors=continue,data=ordered 0 0
/dev/block/mmcblk1p3 /cache ext3 rw,nosuid,nodev,noatime,errors=continue,data=ordered 0 0
/dev/block/vold/179:14 /mnt/sdcard vfat rw,dirsync,nosuid,nodev,noexec,relatime,uid=1000,gid=1015,fmask=0702,dmask=0702,allow_utime=0020,codepage=cp936,iocharset=cp936,shortname=mixed,utf8,errors=remount-ro 0 0
/dev/block/vold/179:14 /mnt/secure/asec vfat rw,dirsync,nosuid,nodev,noexec,relatime,uid=1000,gid=1015,fmask=0702,dmask=0702,allow_utime=0020,codepage=cp936,iocharset=cp936,shortname=mixed,utf8,errors=remount-ro 0 0
tmpfs /mnt/sdcard/.android_secure tmpfs ro,relatime,size=0k,mode=000 0 0

Dear Conkam,

You need to download a Hardware detection software and install your tablet. And you can know the CPU or others information.

alex_485

Mar 24, 2011
For those people that are having trouble with there version 2 Zenithink pad have you updated to the latest firmware ? It very problematic when first released but it is finally running alot better!...

Copy & Paste of my post:

"Flash is working as people have confirmed you can get the .apk file here MEGAUPLOAD - The leading online storage and file delivery service
It is only a preview of Flash for the pad they still need to tweak it a bit more.
If your not running "system : 20110312" get it here MEGAUPLOAD - The leading online storage and file delivery service the pad seems to be running alot better with this update, no lag in Angry Birds any more"

Last edited:

dslauchang

Jul 30, 2011
I got mine a month ago, and it is awesome, inspite of the 512ram, it plays videos well and surfs the net fine. only it takes a lot of time to boot up, everything is worth every penny, considering I paid $250.00, with 16GB sd card, a folder with built in keyboard from Amazon. Lots of free useful apps.