12 volt charging.

cmasone

Feb 3, 2012
I learned that the asus charger is not the same as other usb chargers. Is there a 12v charger available? I bought this to use for boat navigation and cannot use it if I cannot charge on the boat. I can use an inverter but inverters suck enegy so I prefer not to.

Sent from my Transformer TF101 using Android Tablet Forum

cmasone

Feb 3, 2012
Also, if the asus charging block truly puts out more voltage than other usb chargers can you damage other devices by plugging them into the asus block?

jtsauburn

Sep 15, 2011
The tranformer block is 5.5 volts, about the same of my Samsung phone charger (5. 0 volts). The difference is that the transformer block is usb 3.0, while most phone blocks are usb 2.0.

Last edited:

Bugeyz

Jan 19, 2012
My impression was the Asus Charging block is a smart device and outputs 12 to 15V when it senses the Asus Transformer and 5 volts when it senses other devices. (If you can read the super fine print on the side of the Asus charger block you will see that it has two output voltages 5 and [I think it said] 15 volts...too small for me to read totally.) I have not seen a house charger (110v) other than the Asus in the USB format that outputs 12 volts. I have, however, seen (and in fact do have and use) a car charge that output 12 volts in the USB format and per the vendor it is specifically designed for the Asus Transformer (TF101 or TF201). It was available on eBay and Amazon for less than $10.00.

View attachment 5650

It is also my understanding that the 5 volt USB chargers will work but s-l-o-w-l-y and there is not enough power at 5 volts (like input for the IPad) to charge and use the Transformer at the same time. Again, from what I have read on these forums, with the 5 volt USB chargers, if you use the Asus Transformer, the charging stops. If you are not using it the charging continues but slowly...something like 20+ hours for a full charge (but I am grasping from memory here. I think I ever read somewhere where it is more than 30 hours for a full charge at 5 volts.).

There was a good discussion on a very similar subject in the topic "Asus Transformer Prime AC Adapter gets hot" almost to the end of the discussion from Frederuco.

Last edited:

vicstarman

Dec 31, 2011
You'll need to return it anyway... The claims that the gps antenna is weak were totally true. :-(
I love using the device! But it has yet to lock into gps no matter how long I leave it in recommended position. Doesn't work at all. Also accurate were the claims of weak wifi antenna. I get 2 "bars" when my HTC phone and laptop get all 4 everywhere I go. And yes, this is after all firmware updates and running ice cream sandwich

Sent from my Transformer Prime TF201 using Android Tablet Forum

sbh

Aug 29, 2011
Great answer to the OE Asus charger. Purchase the Dynex universal camera/camcorder power adapter
Best Buy $30 or online for $7 or so. You still need the OE cable, but pitch the ASUS plug. Nice long cord, charges great, no over heating issues. worth every penny.
Dynex Universal power adapter- amazon, ebay, Best Buy