18 Questions About Android and Note 10.1

Poita

Dec 4, 2010
Most of these are questions and one or two are observations that I'd like others to comment on.

1. How do I disable Facebook notifications in the bar? I installed the Facebook app but didn’t ask it to whistle at me any time there was activity.

2. I assume that when I get my Note to usb adapter I can use any usb mouse and Keyboard with it?

3. How can I read and also edit MS Word and Power Point documents on my Note so that I can use the files both on my Note 10.1 and my Windows 7 laptop interchangeably?

4. What’s the best onscreen keyboard set up? I like the fact that I have access to numbers but the keys are smaller than they were on my iPad. Are there different keyboard options in the settings or can I download ones that will replace the stock one without me having to use the ‘keyboard app’ running all the time?

5. When post on Facebook with my Note 10.1 I can’t browse my albums/folders, either through the Gallery or Quickpic. It goes through either of those to the entirety of my photos collection which is near a thousand photos and it’s a pain in the neck scrolling to get the one I want.

6. In Facebook when I search my friends list it lists the names alphabetically according to first name rather than family name. Also it doesn’t have an alphabet quick scroll column on the right so I have to always scroll all the way down to whatever name. I know I can type it but sometimes I want to scroll.

7. Do I need a screen protector? I use a case so the screen is covered most of the time. I didn’t use a screen protector with my iPad and didn’t get a scratch in 18 months of use.

8. How do I create an ‘app like’ book mark image on my home screen. On the iPad I could select ‘Add to home screen’ and it creats a link that looks like an App.

9. When I’m charging via the usb why does the green battery icon have a red X over it? It seems to charge so this icon is a bit confusing as it gives the impression that it’s not charging.

10. What’s the best calendar app. Is it better for me to use the stock one so I can sync it and use it on my pc and Android phone also? Also, Wouldn’t it be better to have an updating calendar app icon so that it shows the actual date rather than ‘31’ all the time?

11. As I’m transferring from iOS how do I transfer my contacts book info over? Is there even a way other than doing it one at a time? Same question goes for all the ‘Pages’ and ‘Keynote’ projects I have on my iPad and in the iCloud. I can do them one at a time but is there a way to do the lot at once?

12. When I plugged my Note 10.1 into my laptop and dragged a folder of about 3GB from one folder into another (on the same Note 10.1 and on the same SD card) it seemed to take about 15 minutes to do it. Is it always that slow to move files around?

13. I dropped some AVI and other video files from my laptop to the Note 10.1 but the stock video editor wouldn’t recognise them (although the video player would). When I make a video with the ‘Note’s camera the video editor are fine with them. What format does the editor use? I have files on my laptop that I want to edit on my Note and need to know so I can convert them with ‘Format Factory’ before I transfer them.

14. Why is the stock editor so rubbish? Is it the stock Android editor or is that a Samsung app? It won’t even let me trim a 20 second clip that I show with the Note’s camera as it says it’s too short to trim. It also has almost no features.

15. Is there a better video editor for Android than the stock one.

16. Is there a good sound editor for Android (the more simple the better).

17. Predictive text will offer up suggestions in the black bar above the keyboard but if I type a word it doesn’t know such as the game name ‘Trackmania’ it won’t actually allow me and auto changes it even though I didn’t select one of the predicted words. How do I keep the predictive text option on but stop it from taking over my typing?

18. How do I get my email to thread so back and forths between the same person don’t get listed in multiple messages but rather one thread?

Rowdyeh

Oct 16, 2012
1 In settings. (Facebook app).
2 You could try a Bluetooth keyboard.
3 There may be an app for that.
4 There's a number of different setups and also some third party keyboard apps, try them all and select the one you like best.
5 Try a file manager like Astro, might save you some grief but storing a "thousand" pictures you're just asking for it.
6 Perhaps Facebook will add that feature eventually, ask them!
7 You just answered your own question
8 Bring up your Apps draw, hold and drag the icon of your choice to screen of your choice.
9 Cant please everyone
10 Try the App store, might be one there that does that.
11 Don't know, try reading the manual
12 it's USB 2, don't expect miracles
13 Again try the App store, might find what you're looking for.
14 Same as 13
15 See 14
16 App store, this is not deja vu.
17 Check the settings.
18 good question!
Hope some of this helped, good luck!

Frederuco

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jul 6, 2011
1. How do I disable Facebook notifications in the bar? I installed the Facebook app but didn’t ask it to whistle at me any time there was activity.
Open the facebook app, tap the menu key (3 boxes stacked on top of each other) and go to Settings. Untick the "Notifications" box.

2. I assume that when I get my Note to usb adapter I can use any usb mouse and Keyboard with it?
Someone else will have to confirm

3. How can I read and also edit MS Word and Power Point documents on my Note so that I can use the files both on my Note 10.1 and my Windows 7 laptop interchangeably?
Check out the app Kingsoft Office. There are others, but this one is really good and FREE!

4. What’s the best onscreen keyboard set up? I like the fact that I have access to numbers but the keys are smaller than they were on my iPad. Are there different keyboard options in the settings or can I download ones that will replace the stock one without me having to use the ‘keyboard app’ running all the time?
There are a plethora of keyboard options. My favorite is Thumb Keyboard. here is a pic of my setup:
oD80N.png

The M1 key enters my email address with the touch of a button.
Some offer swipe style input, others have good dictation input options.

5. When post on Facebook with my Note 10.1 I can’t browse my albums/folders, either through the Gallery or Quickpic. It goes through either of those to the entirety of my photos collection which is near a thousand photos and it’s a pain in the neck scrolling to get the one I want.
This is an issue with the facebook app. I rarely use the app, I prefer using a browser like Dolphin and then using the full facebook site (set the browser for Desktop mode in the settings). When adding a picture you can browse using Gallery or a file manager to find your photo.

6. In Facebook when I search my friends list it lists the names alphabetically according to first name rather than family name. Also it doesn’t have an alphabet quick scroll column on the right so I have to always scroll all the way down to whatever name. I know I can type it but sometimes I want to scroll.
Limitation of the Facebook app. Submit feedback through the Play Store.

7. Do I need a screen protector? I use a case so the screen is covered most of the time. I didn’t use a screen protector with my iPad and didn’t get a scratch in 18 months of use.
I run with my tablet naked, but some users like to keep one on there. My phone on the other hand has a screen protector because it gets used in a lot harsher environments. It is personal preference, but if you are careful there is no reason you should NEED to have one.

8. How do I create an ‘app like’ book mark image on my home screen. On the iPad I could select ‘Add to home screen’ and it creats a link that looks like an App.
I believe you are talking about from a browser favorite. Each browser is different, but with the stock browser tap the STAR icon on the right, on the popup add the label, and then in the Add To dropdown select HOME SCREEN
Some browsers require you to bookmark the site, then long press the book mark and send it to a home screen.

9. When I’m charging via the usb why does the green battery icon have a red X over it? It seems to charge so this icon is a bit confusing as it gives the impression that it’s not charging.
Someone else will have to address this one.

10. What’s the best calendar app. Is it better for me to use the stock one so I can sync it and use it on my pc and Android phone also? Also, Wouldn’t it be better to have an updating calendar app icon so that it shows the actual date rather than ‘31’ all the time?
I prefer Pocket Informant. It syncs calendar and tasks through the Google servers and allows me to keep my phone, tablet and computer all in sync. It has a better interface IMO than the stock calendar too.

11. As I’m transferring from iOS how do I transfer my contacts book info over? Is there even a way other than doing it one at a time? Same question goes for all the ‘Pages’ and ‘Keynote’ projects I have on my iPad and in the iCloud. I can do them one at a time but is there a way to do the lot at once?
Hmmm, I never used iCloud to sync my contacts, I always did them through google. Someone else is going to have to assist there.

12. When I plugged my Note 10.1 into my laptop and dragged a folder of about 3GB from one folder into another (on the same Note 10.1 and on the same SD card) it seemed to take about 15 minutes to do it. Is it always that slow to move files around?
It all depends on the speed of your hard drive on your computer, the USB speed (2.0 vs 3.0) and the speed of the internal memory on your tablet.

13. I dropped some AVI and other video files from my laptop to the Note 10.1 but the stock video editor wouldn’t recognise them (although the video player would). When I make a video with the ‘Note’s camera the video editor are fine with them. What format does the editor use? I have files on my laptop that I want to edit on my Note and need to know so I can convert them with ‘Format Factory’ before I transfer them.
mp4 is the preferred format for Android.

14. Why is the stock editor so rubbish? Is it the stock Android editor or is that a Samsung app? It won’t even let me trim a 20 second clip that I show with the Note’s camera as it says it’s too short to trim. It also has almost no features.
I believe this is from Samsung, my tablet does not have any video editor.

15. Is there a better video editor for Android than the stock one.
I still use my laptop for video editing, but you can check the Play Store for video editors and check the reviews.

16. Is there a good sound editor for Android (the more simple the better).
Unsure, someone else will have to answer this one.

17. Predictive text will offer up suggestions in the black bar above the keyboard but if I type a word it doesn’t know such as the game name ‘Trackmania’ it won’t actually allow me and auto changes it even though I didn’t select one of the predicted words. How do I keep the predictive text option on but stop it from taking over my typing?
Using some keyboards like Thumb Keyboard, the left spacebar uses the suggestion, the right spacebar ignores the suggestion. I think you can tap the suggestions, or your own word to keep it on most keyboards.

18. How do I get my email to thread so back and forths between the same person don’t get listed in multiple messages but rather one thread?
The GMail app has threading, but I the Email app does not. Be sure you are using the GMail account if it is a google account. If it is another type (hotmail, yahoo, etc) you may be out of luck. I have not found a 3rd party app that does threading.

AuntieParticle

Sep 20, 2012
9. I don't believe the Note 10.1 charges via usb connector to the computer. You must use the wall plug to charge it. The red X is to indicate that it is not charging. The usb to computer is only for moving files from one to the other. This was also the case with my previous tablet (Acer Iconic a500) so I assumed it was true of all tablets, except iPad, of course.

Auntie
sent from my Samsung Galaxy Note 10.1